US Women's Soccer - Part XX: USWNT, NWSL, NCAA

element
Reactions: 23

US Women's Soccer - Part XX: USWNT, NWSL, NCAA

Post by element »

Rules:
- Stay on-topic.
- No Het talk: Major announcements such as weddings/engagements/pregnancies are an exception.
- No backseat modding (i.e., telling posters to go to player threads) <-- added 07/14/2015
- Bashing the looks of player's friends/family/significant other's not allowed <-- added 11/19/2015
- Do not link to illegal streams <--- added 02/21/2016
- Do not ask for links to illegal streams <--- added 02/21/2016
- Do not reply to or engage trolls in any way. Just report.
-No personal attacks on players.
-No play-by-play discussion of other international games.
(Link to International thread X)
-No discussion of other international teams, unless it relates back to the US.
-Do not bring social media drama to the thread.
-keep all talk related to tobin and christens relationship in their thread <--- Added 08/12/2019

Break these rules and you will be banned.

Reactions:

Re: US Women's Soccer - Part XX: USWNT, NWSL, NCAA

Post by Guest »

The problem with Horan playing deeper is she doesn’t (and physically can’t) do defensive work, which means you need a defensively strong 6. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Coffey in this area but against a team that is comfortable in possession & athletic it could get ugly.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The entire 1st half most of the play was going through Smith and that was the problem. She was very unsure what to do with the ball and you know she can't take anyone 1v1 which I don't understand because she has been in this position for along time. Most of the time she was rarely near the box. Rodman seems to be making more progress than her.

How often did Shaw touch the ball?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

ok, maybe I'm too harsh on Alex, but being a STARTER can't happen anymore, come in when the game is easy and rest Smith, that's fine

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So who’s on your roster . I think it’s looking like

It’s funny because Albert being a homophobe might have solidified Alex’s spot even more because I think she would have been on here otherwise, which means someone from this fw/mf list gets left off

Macario smith Rodman Swanson Morgan
Shaw horan Lavelle Sonnett Coffey
Dunn fox Jenna Abby tierna Naomi
Naeher Murphy

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:33

It’s funny because Albert being a homophobe might have solidified Alex’s spot even more because I think she would have been on here otherwise, which means someone from this fw/mf list gets left off

Naeher Murphy
No Lynn Williams for you then?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:32
ok, maybe I'm too harsh on Alex, but being a STARTER can't happen anymore, come in when the game is easy and rest Smith, that's fine
You know who also shouldn't be a starter. Lindsey Horan. I think she is overrated. What is she good for other than PKs? She is attacking mid who provides no attack and is slow. I think she is actually one of the main problems with the midfield. I would like to have a different central mid combo that doesn't include Horan.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

Naeher Murphy
I get she is a generational talent and has the advantage to play for Hayes in Chelsea, but it makes me laugh to see Macario as a lock right now while she played a total of 15 mns with the NT in the last couple of years. Shouldn't she fight for a spot like everyone else? Lynn is more legitimate to be here tbh.

Also, do you really think they are gonna cut Albert? The fact she got playing time in both games is worrying to me, I think she is still in contention.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:38
Guest wrote:

Naeher Murphy
It’s pretty obvious Lynn is on the bubble as always . Alex played a lot more than her at the gold cup. Maybe Hayes will feel differently but I would be surprised if she makes it over alex. Maybe if cat is 90 fit and they feel like they need an extra winger they’ll take her instead of Alex, but rn I think she’s an alternate.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Albert probably would go instead of Sonnett tbh. Sonnett might have just lowered her stock a lot.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I want to talk about Gotham, I think they made some very bad choices:

1. Dunn wants to be a striker and is not that good up front and as she is on the national team she ''has'' to play.
2. Long is better than Sonnet, Long left it implicit yesterday that Sonnet was called to her place.
3. Rose is no longer that good PLUS the fact that she is always injured.
4. Tierna doesn't show any confidence.
5. All of the above are from the national team, meaning there will be a lot of playing time for both club and national team.
6. Is this midfield really going to be Martin/Sheehan/Sonnet? MY GOD

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:46
Albert probably would go instead of Sonnett tbh. Sonnett might have just lowered her stock a lot.
I think team chemistry is too important especially on a small roster.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:41
Guest wrote:

Naeher Murphy
I get she is a generational talent and has the advantage to play for Hayes in Chelsea, but it makes me laugh to see Macario as a lock right now while she played a total of 15 mns with the NT in the last couple of years. Shouldn't she fight for a spot like everyone else? Lynn is more legitimate to be here tbh.

Also, do you really think they are gonna cut Albert? The fact she got playing time in both games is worrying to me, I think she is still in contention.
I feel like the idea of Macario is a lock more than the reality, if that makes sense. She’s been playing well for Chelsea as she builds up her minutes and we’re all anticipating her getting stronger, yet she barely played in these 2 games.

As for Albert, she played in the first game because Coffey got hurt and there were no other options, and she played in the second game because they had a lead and Twila opted to go into a defensive shell. Basically she played because Twila isn’t creative enough as a coach. And Albert was a non-factor in both games, and likely a net negative against Canada. I think they’ll roll with Coffey & Sonnett as the 6 options this summer, with Horan capable of dropping deeper into a double pivot when needed. Da

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:53
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Naeher Murphy

I feel like the idea of Macario is a lock more than the reality, if that makes sense. She’s been playing well for Chelsea as she builds up her minutes and we’re all anticipating her getting stronger, yet she barely played in these 2 games.

As for Albert, she played in the first game because Coffey got hurt and there were no other options, and she played in the second game because they had a lead and Twila opted to go into a defensive shell. Basically she played because Twila isn’t creative enough as a coach. And Albert was a non-factor in both games, and likely a net negative against Canada. I think they’ll roll with Coffey & Sonnett as the 6 options this summer, with Horan capable of dropping deeper into a double pivot when needed. Da
I hope you are right and I agree with both of your takes. I don't think we need Albert, and it's quite obvious most players don't want to interact with her. On the podium, Sonnett was doing everything she could to not face her, talking with Alex or throwing confettis at Trin lol.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:49

1. Dunn wants to be a striker and is not that good up front and as she is on the national team she ''has'' to play.
2. Long is better than Sonnet, Long left it implicit yesterday that Sonnet was called to her place.
5. All of the above are from the national team, meaning there will be a lot of playing time for both club and national team.
My thoughts on each point:

1. Dunn’s contract might age really poorly. She hasn’t been the same player post-pregnancy and while there’s still a chance she turns it around, she’s 31 so the odds seem against her. Gotham also lost a lot of goodwill by hiring her husband for a bogus job.
2. I agree that Long is better than Sonnett in possession, and that’s a big part of Sonnett’s current role with Gotham, but Long is also 6 years older.
3. Rose is actually a perfect signing for a team like Gotham. They have the depth to do well without her and when she is healthy, she’ll make the team better and more dynamic. She was phenomenal for the Reign in her limited minutes last year, and that’s all they’ll really need from her.
4. Davidson has been solid for Gotham so far, despite being consistently shaky for the US.
5. The biggest issue with having so many national team players is probably going to be the lack of time to build chemistry. Davidson, Dunn, Sonnett, & Lavelle are all new to the team and missed a month of preseason for the Gold Cup, and now those first 3 have missed another 10 days early in the season.
6. I don’t think a Martin/Sheehan/Sonnett midfield would be especially bad, but there’s very little creativity.

Overall with Gotham, their system is about fluidity which confuses me a bit because it results in attacking moments where Esther is pushed out wide, a fullback is playing like a striker, and Sonnett is the 10. That doesn’t seem especially effective.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Krieger should be playing over Dunn . I think they just trust Dunn’s esperienfe which means Krueger gets left off or is an alternate.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:12
Krieger should be playing over Dunn . I think they just trust Dunn’s esperienfe which means Krueger gets left off or is an alternate.
You mean Krueger right? Although I think retired Krieger would be better than Dunn :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I thought Shaw was really good in the second half at the 10 against Canada, but I’m reading pieces talking about how she thrived there against Japan and I feel like I was watching a different game. The goal was gorgeous but what else did she do as a playmaker?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:15
I thought Shaw was really good in the second half at the 10 against Canada, but I’m reading pieces talking about how she thrived there against Japan and I feel like I was watching a different game. The goal was gorgeous but what else did she do as a playmaker?
Honestly even the goal was overblown lol. It was just a hard shot from outside the box idk if I would call it gorgeous. But yes she was definitely better against Canada in the 10 than she was against Japan.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:03
Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:49

My thoughts on each point:

1. Dunn’s contract might age really poorly. She hasn’t been the same player post-pregnancy and while there’s still a chance she turns it around, she’s 31 so the odds seem against her. Gotham also lost a lot of goodwill by hiring her husband for a bogus job.
2. I agree that Long is better than Sonnett in possession, and that’s a big part of Sonnett’s current role with Gotham, but Long is also 6 years older.
3. Rose is actually a perfect signing for a team like Gotham. They have the depth to do well without her and when she is healthy, she’ll make the team better and more dynamic. She was phenomenal for the Reign in her limited minutes last year, and that’s all they’ll really need from her.
4. Davidson has been solid for Gotham so far, despite being consistently shaky for the US.
5. The biggest issue with having so many national team players is probably going to be the lack of time to build chemistry. Davidson, Dunn, Sonnett, & Lavelle are all new to the team and missed a month of preseason for the Gold Cup, and now those first 3 have missed another 10 days early in the season.
6. I don’t think a Martin/Sheehan/Sonnett midfield would be especially bad, but there’s very little creativity.

Overall with Gotham, their system is about fluidity which confuses me a bit because it results in attacking moments where Esther is pushed out wide, a fullback is playing like a striker, and Sonnett is the 10. That doesn’t seem especially effective.
I watched all the Gothan games, the Martin/Sheehan/Sonnett combo is terrifyingly bad

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:18
Guest wrote:
Honestly even the goal was overblown lol. It was just a hard shot from outside the box idk if I would call it gorgeous. But yes she was definitely better against Canada in the 10 than she was against Japan.
Da Game specific analysis aside. She is better at the 10 than on the wing. If you put her on the wing she just cuts in anyways and crowds the central area.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:21
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Da Game specific analysis aside. She is better at the 10 than on the wing. If you put her on the wing she just cuts in anyways and crowds the central area.
What else is Shaw supposed to do as a forward if she barely has the ball? Shouldn't she be in the box?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:21
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I kind of like her on the wing because she has a nose for goal and has less defensive responsibility. It’s personal preference but I want our 10 focused on playmaking, which she did fairly well against Canada but was invisible against Japan. Da

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Shaw bottled two good chances in the first half but no one wants to talk about it because she has the immunity trophy now :nails:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Unwarranted criticism for Shaw & Morgan..both had no service and didn't have the ball much. What do yall expect them to do?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:01
Unwarranted criticism for Shaw & Morgan..both had no service and didn't have the ball much. What do yall expect them to do?
I just looked at their passing accuracy, Morgan 88%, Shaw 81%. I don't think they were the problems at all in the first half. Alex should have probably got a PK for a handball as well. Shame there was no VAR.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:53
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Naeher Murphy

They may have only played Albert for those reasons, but they still played her. I said this before, but they've have had her play as a 6, 8 and 10 for a reason. They want her as an option for all midfield positions, and that's why she'll be at the Olympics. Sonnett, Coffey, and Albert will make it, Horan, too. If Rose can get healthy, that'll round the midfield out. Moultrie hasn't seen much time at all in these competitions, so I think she's out. DA

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Because they don’t know how to check to the ball. They just run away from it every time. Morgan in particular.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:06
Guest wrote:
I just looked at their passing accuracy, Morgan 88%, Shaw 81%. I don't think they were the problems at all in the first half. Alex should have probably got a PK for a handball as well. Shame there was no VAR.
Da. We were that close to a Wave goal, ADK to Alex to Shaw 😭
Btw do you think Abby made a case to start over Tierna?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Stupid to look at passing accuracy as a whole. How many of those were progressive passes? That’s all that matters. A break down would be better. It’s like when a CB has a good passing accuracy because they just passed it back and forth a million times but didn’t add anything to the attack with those passes.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:21
The problem with Horan playing deeper is she doesn’t (and physically can’t) do defensive work, which means you need a defensively strong 6. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Coffey in this area but against a team that is comfortable in possession & athletic it could get ugly.

Fleming saw were talking shit about her lol

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:12
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Stupid to look at passing accuracy as a whole. How many of those were progressive passes? That’s all that matters. A break down would be better. It’s like when a CB has a good passing accuracy because they just passed it back and forth a million times but didn’t add anything to the attack with those passes.
:eyeroll: ok Morgan was awful, she should retire happy now? You can think she shouldn't start and still admit there were bigger problems than her or Shaw in the first half.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I just can't wait for another tierna disaster class :mask:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Heath and Long were also making fun of Alex running offside and not being able to hold her run. Long said Alex would always yell at her to pass it quicker and sometimes that would be an impossible situation for Allie. Like B I barely got my first touch on it before you tell me to pass it. And that Alex needs to be the one to hold her runs sometimes too because the midfielder can’t always release it that quickly depending on the scenario.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Still unbelievable to me that Horan played 2 full 90'.
I pray she doesn't get injured because I truly think they don't have a plan B.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:15
Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:12
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
:eyeroll: ok Morgan was awful, she should retire happy now? You can think she shouldn't start and still admit there were bigger problems than her or Shaw in the first half.
All I said was it’s stupid to look at overall pass accuracy lol. Way to go overboard. You really don’t need to be that defensive all the time. We don’t always have to figure out how to find ways to say Alex had a good game every time. She was irrelevant yesterday. It’s okay to admit.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I don’t want Morgan on the roster but I don’t see who would replace her. What is your roster without her?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

22 roster spots is dumb. Paris/France about to be a hell hole in August.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:18
She’s played 653 out of a possible 750 minutes this year for the US. If you take away the first game against the DR, which she didn’t feature in, then in the last 7 games, she’s played 653 out of a possible 660 minutes. Even prime Ertz wasn’t this untouchable.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:26
Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:18
She’s played 653 out of a possible 750 minutes this year for the US. If you take away the first game against the DR, which she didn’t feature in, then in the last 7 games, she’s played 653 out of a possible 660 minutes. Even prime Ertz wasn’t this untouchable.
Wow. Her poor knee about to give up. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with a Sam Mewis' type career end. Her KT tape is getting bigger and bigger.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:38
Guest wrote:

Naeher Murphy
Da Lynn does not belong on the NT, never has. Period.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:26
22 roster spots is dumb. Paris/France about to be a hell hole in August.
Only 18 roster spots.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

That roster has so many central players. Shaw, Rose, Macario, Smith. I’d take Alex out for a winger.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Albert is going to be on that roster.
It's pretty obvious Emma Hayes wants it that way.
And make no mistake Emma cares only about herself, winning, and only then the wellbeing or what her players want.
She didn't hesitate to throw her own gay players under the bus if it ment distracting from her own skeletons.
She really isn’t going to give a f*ck about lgbtq rights if she thinks KA is going to be important to win.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

USA Australia Zambia Germany

I hope Banda go off against USA :heart:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:40
USA Australia Zambia Germany

I hope Banda go off against USA :heart:
She won’t. African countries never do well against the US.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Anyone who is thinking Emma hasn’t already had say in whether Korbin plays or not is fooling themselves. She’s going to keep being called up. I don’t think she makes the Olympics, but her two caps this window make it clear she’s in the future plans. Otherwise they would have just given her one cap so she/her family couldn’t sue and tossed Moultrie or Yohannes on in the second game instead.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:23
My girl Trin knows what's up :goldstar:

“Alex is just a voice that we need with the experience. Being in the center, being the person that’s initiating press and attack, I think to have that voice, have that experience, have that veteran status is really good for us to build off of. And also just energy-wise, I think she sets the tone really well.”

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:44
Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:23
My girl Trin knows what's up :goldstar:

“Alex is just a voice that we need with the experience. Being in the center, being the person that’s initiating press and attack, I think to have that voice, have that experience, have that veteran status is really good for us to build off of. And also just energy-wise, I think she sets the tone really well.”
What else is she supposed to say when asked about her? The front 3 moves better without her?