Canadian Women's National Soccer Team

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

Every one on the way to Algarve. Wonder if we'll be able to watch.

guestcanuk
Reactions:

Post by guestcanuk »

Guest_guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
guestqwerty wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
guestadgasd wrote:Roster for Algarve this year.
D'Angelo looks to have little chance of making the WC.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-...62049-preview-1
When CSA 'forced' her to move from NC to be replace by Labbe you know she's not a priority. A bit shady.
This didn't happen
:blinkwide: That's exactly what happened. And right now there are 'paperwork' issues for Labbe's move to NC, methinks the Washington Spirit might be kicking up a fuss.
D'Agelos allocation was cut this season. Witch kinda makes sense considering she hasn't been a starter for 2 seasons. Without allocation, she takes up and international spot and NC was not going to keep her.

Normally everyone in this thread bitches about Canadians staying in the Nwsl to be a bench player; looks like the csa has changed its approach, no more funding if you don't play. Leon, dangelo ect.
Not sure if it's not No Allocation if you don't play - they don't control that. Probably more on the player's part trying to make moves to get game time like Beckie to Man City an Quinny to Paris FC. The NWSL is not a good league right now if you are not on 1 of 3 or 4 good teams. Bad coaching, bad travel, poor training environments, living conditions that are to an athlete's detriment, poor physio...happy to see the Canada Soccer money leave the NWSL but hoping it follows the players and not goes into Herdman's pocket.

Re: D'Angelo - not like she's at the top of her game right now and getting moved. Labbe's been performing well, CSA is doing everything they can to let McLeod come back, Sheridan has been playing a lot. It happens. D'Angelo's back in if anyone gets injured. Good to be deep there - hope She is ready to be number 3 if called on.
She should be though shouldn't she? She's going to be 26 very soon and has stalled her development. Her fault or not I think that sucks. I know Labbe had to wait for her chance at #1 and has done well. But Sab's was excellent for WNYF and help NC to the championship only to get benched. Yes she had a minor injury but she clearly wasn't wanted at NC last season.

Wish her luck at her new club and she'll get to play. All the players in Europe are pushing for starting spots.

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

https://couragecountry.com/sabrina-dangelo-...erview-2019-01/

D'Angelo had been working with an agent originally and said they were having difficulty finding a team that needed a keeper. She said a lot of teams were already set at the goalkeeper position.

But like any other profession, who you know, and who you've made an impression on help. One of Canada's national team assistant coaches also coaches in Sweden men's professional club. and helped D'Angelo get her foot in the door.

"It was my first ever negotiations by myself, everything and they were really really accommodating," she said.

Although away for a bit in Spain to train with the Canada Soccer's Women's National Team, she says she's settling in her new place in Sweden ?ó?Ç?ö the first time she's lived by herself.

"I have a little, very European style studio apartment," she beamed.

"It's all good. I'm really enjoying it actually."

Talks about coming back in an injury year --

Sabrina D'Angelo Talks Team Transition, NC Courage, Canada

InterviewsPlayersSabrina D'Angelo
NC Courage - January 27, 20190
Canadian Sabrina D'Angelo, fresh off of training with the Canadian National team in Europe, has returned to her new home ?ó?Ç?ö a studio apartment in Sweden. She's settling into a new country, with a new team, and has a plan and a set of goals to continue upping her soccer career.

New Team for 2019
Sabrina D'Angelo InterviewWhile the NC Courage web site roster still shows her as one of two keepers for the 2018 NWSL champions. It's not in the cards for her to be part of the NC Courage 2019 roster. As suspected earlier in January, D'Angelo has left the NWSL to play in Europe. She is just two weeks into practice with her new team, Vittsj.

Wikipedia describes the team as the following: "Vittsj Gymnastik och Idrottsklubb is a football club from Vittsj, Sweden. They play in the highest level of women's soccer leagues in Sweden, the Damallsvenskan."

She doesn't speak Swedish and admitted she speaks a total of four words.

"We'll be ok," D'Angelo said.

"Everyone speaks English here. I'll figure it out," she said with a laugh.

Bittersweet Conclusion
D'Angelo said it was a tough decision.

Sabrina D'Angelo"It's bittersweet because it's always tough leaving such a great environment," she said.

The 25-year-old goalkeeper said she would miss the girls and the North Carolina fans. D'Angelo said she had made so many connections, with so many of them being on the journey from the Western New York Flash to the North Carolina Courage. She loved getting to be part of seeing just how much the team grew, and the people that came in and enhanced the group.

"It's sad to leave it, but I am excited for my new adventure here in Vittsj," she admitted.

"Just from the couple of weeks I've been with the team, it has a family vibe and I've been able to make connections with the coaches," she said.

"For me, when I'm able to make connections with people and coaches, I perform better. So it's kind of the same thing I was able to develop in North Carolina with the coaches. I think that's really important for me."

She said her new teammates have all been really nice and it has a similar feel to the Courage family so far.

Making it Happen
D'Angelo had been working with an agent originally and said they were having difficulty finding a team that needed a keeper. She said a lot of teams were already set at the goalkeeper position.

But like any other profession, who you know, and who you've made an impression on help. One of Canada's national team assistant coaches also coaches in Sweden men's professional club. and helped D'Angelo get her foot in the door.

"It was my first ever negotiations by myself, everything and they were really really accommodating," she said.

Although away for a bit in Spain to train with the Canada Soccer's Women's National Team, she says she's settling in her new place in Sweden ?ó?Ç?ö the first time she's lived by herself.

"I have a little, very European style studio apartment," she beamed.

"It's all good. I'm really enjoying it actually."

Former Roomate
During her time with the Courage, like most of the players, she roomed with a teammate. D'Angelo's roommate was U.S. Women's National Team defender, Abby Dahlkemper.

"I loved rooming with her and had a really good friendship and roommate flow," she said.

"It worked well. I'll miss her."

Training with Fellow Goalkeepers
Training for goalkeepers is a little different than other positions on the pitch. You often have a specialized coach. You're practicing and working out with a single teammate or two ?ó?Ç?ö who are your competition for playing time. D'Angelo, with her good-hearted nature, said she's been lucky in her teams so far ?ó?Ç?ö especially with the Courage and her fellow goalkeeper, Katelyn (Kate) Rowland.

"I've been fortunate to be partnered with goalkeepers that are good people," she said.

D'Angelo said she sees the other goalkeepers' successes as helping her as well.

"I want you to do well because if you're doing well, you're going to make me do well," she said.

"We were constantly positive. When I earned the starting position at the beginning of the year, [Rownland] was encouraging to me. When I got injured, my role changed and it was her turn to take the team. I would never be a person to talk badly or hope that she wouldn't do well because I don't think that does anybody any good."

The Canadian keeper said it was part of her role coming out of injury to push Rowland but in a positive way.

"Then on gameday, I needed to support her," D'Angelo said.

"It's tough because everybody wants to play and you want to be on the field but at the end of the day, you have to trust the coaches and their decision. I was really lucky with Kate, and obviously [Assistant Coach] Nathan [Thackeray] facilitated that working environment for us."

D'Angelo said her new goalkeeping partner in Sweden is giving her a good feeling as well.

"She's really friendly, and I feel it's going to be a good working relationship again," she said.

"I don't know if I've just been really lucky, cause it isn't always easy."

Big Appearances in 2018
After coming off of those 2018 regular season injuries, D'Angelo started in two pretty big games ?ó?Ç?ö the International Champions Cup (ICC) championship in July and then again in Portland in the Semifinal against the Chicago Red Stars. Both appearances were clean sheets for D'Angelo.

International Champions Cup (ICC)
Sabrina D'Angelo NC Courage 2018"I think the ICC ?ó?Ç?ö I was grateful to get that game," she said.

"Honestly, I had just started kicking the ball again maybe that week. It was a whirlwind."

She said those caps, along with her other early-season starts taught her a lot about playing and mindset.

"What I learned throughout this season is that there's game form ?ó?Ç?ö when you're playing constantly, you're in a type of form," she said.

"When you aren't and you go back into a game, you lack a little bit of flow. I felt a bit of that, and appreciate that now."

She said the cap in the ICC final, she was trying to keep it in perspective ?ó?Ç?ö not trying to earn back the starting role, but to just win the game for the Courage.

National Team
The Canada Soccer's Women's National Team will continue to pull in three goalkeepers to camps, trying to keep it realistic to what the World Cup squad would ultimately utilize.

"I'll get at least one more camp I was told," D'Angelo said.

"If I performed well, maybe another. It's up in the air."

.MP3
Reactions: 0

Post by .MP3 »

Hope you don't mind me coming in here because I only loosely follow the Canadian team. It seems to me the team has had less bite to it or something Herdman left. I'm kind of wondering if all the players have fully bought in. Is my perception off base or do you guys thing Heiner-Moller hasn't been a good fit? I just worry that Canada is on the backslide and I liked that they were a strong competitor in concacaf for the uswnt.

canuckfan
Reactions:

Post by canuckfan »

.MP3 wrote:Hope you don't mind me coming in here because I only loosely follow the Canadian team. It seems to me the team has had less bite to it or something Herdman left. I'm kind of wondering if all the players have fully bought in. Is my perception off base or do you guys thing Heiner-Moller hasn't been a good fit? I just worry that Canada is on the backslide and I liked that they were a strong competitor in concacaf for the uswnt.
I my little opinion HM hasn't made an impact to the team at all, in fact, to me he's gone with the same team, lineup, formation (for the most part) and tatics that were there before him. From what we know the team only found out Herdman had left after the fact, which sucks, and the team 'vibe' has been lacking since.

They've got the best squad of players canwnt have ever had but I not sure they'll have any more success than they did in 2015, they should get out of the group but after that?

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

There was an article somewhere about how little Herdman had done after the turn around - the mistakes he made on the 2015 WC roster, which he later admitted, bringing along to many of the previous Olympic team including players like Iachelli, Moscato - starting Sesselmann into the 2015 games when she was still recovering and out of game shape - she had played a really small amount of game minutes before heading into the World Cup and it bit us in the ass.

Compared to the last round, this is one of the most experienced and talented rosters Canada has ever had. The young ones like Rose, Huitema, etc already have large stage experience.

We've never had anyone playing on teams with a training environment like PSG or OL before. Lots of our allocated players were parked on benches before the 2015 WC.

Vibe looks fine. They look focussed rather than worrying about getting an instagram following like Sess and Kyle were trying to do around the WC and dragged Leon in with them. If anything, they haven't had enough training or game time together to even show a vibe where when they were pumping $$ in before the Canada WC, they had extended camps in Vancouver and time together. Maybe good vibes because of that but not a good roster.

Reds
Reactions:

Post by Reds »

Herdman was a bit of a prima donna. Sucked up the attention in the room. Hopefully they can just get to the game now.

Although I don't like some of HM's tactics. Not creative and repetitive.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Any videos from camp other than what the players have posted?

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

It's usually all cliff pics at the Algarve... :)

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

Fun insta-story on Labbe's account replying to Jen Kish with the GK union all involved...

Reactions:

Post by .......... »

Glad to see Carle back. This was :clap: this past season. She's playing well. Hope it transfers to the NT.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Beckie scored for Man City last night: https://twitter.com/FAWSL/status/1098316647042113537?s=19
Guessing she'll meet up with the squad after the Conti Cup Final on Saturday

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

NWSL Schedule is out

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/schedule

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Beckie scored for Man City last night: https://twitter.com/FAWSL/status/1098316647042113537?s=19
Guessing she'll meet up with the squad after the Conti Cup Final on Saturday

Nice. Thanks for sharing. So glad she's not at Sky Blue anymore and around a better soccer culture along with a better team.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest_guest wrote:It's usually all cliff pics at the Algarve... :)
Remind me, did we get streams for last year algarve?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Beckie with the game winner on penalties for Man City to day for the Conti Cup. She hit the woodwork too a few times after coming on in the 65.

Great day for her.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

gaygrrrl

Post by gaygrrrl »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Canada soccer looks to be livestreaming. Check out the website.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Canada soccer looks to be livestreaming.  Check out the website.
For real? Yay

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Canada soccer looks to be livestreaming. Check out the website.
For real? Yay
Canada Soccer is proud to provide live streaming coverage of all three #CANWNT Algarve Cup matches via http://CanadaSoccer.com .

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1...172858708381697

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Wow Sheridan in goal. Wasn't expecting that.

disappointed
Reactions:

Post by disappointed »

That was disappointing. I used to love this team so much, and lately I'm so blah. Hopefully the love will come back before the World Cup. Hopefully, they'll remember to score.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Algarve is always the let's try a bunch of things tournament. But just once I'd like to see this team in whatever form come out and dominate someone in the Top 20.

Not be all the old Herdman "Canadian grit" line but get in there and be a dominant team.

Be nice if Canada Soccer put some money in so they could actually have as many camps and as much time together as some other top 5 teams.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

And here too:

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2019/2/28/...ered-up-abusers

https://thebreaker.news/news/ex-whitecaps-coach-suspended/

Nothing like letting a real abusive a-hole linger in the system for 10 fucking years. Can't see Rhi standing for this now that she's in both the Rex and Whitecaps system...

Lenarduzzi has always sucked]

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

About 15 minutes to go before Canada v Scotland! Tune in now! #CANWNT #AlgarveCup

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1...467153566449666

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Anyone watching the game vs Sweden ? Is Schmidt actually playing leftback ? Or is it a mistake in the game minutes?

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

Guest wrote:Anyone watching the game vs Sweden ? Is Schmidt actually playing leftback ? Or is it a mistake in the game minutes?
She played there last game too.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Nice save by Labbe. The lack of goals is concerning. Back looks pretty good tho'.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest_guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Anyone watching the game vs Sweden ? Is Schmidt actually playing leftback ? Or is it a mistake in the game minutes?
She played there last game too.
There was a whole thing about it

https://leaderpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/sophi...4-f557553aa4b1/

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

Sounds like Schmidt has a team in France to play for??
We find out tomorrow.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest_guest wrote:Sounds like Schmidt has a team in France to play for??
We find out tomorrow.
Any chance of a link? I don't see where you're finding this. Thnx

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

We find out tomorrow.
I hope so, but it looks like tons of players are going to France for something with Nike .

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
We find out tomorrow.
I hope so, but it looks like tons of players are going to France for something with Nike .
I think it's for Nike, the transfer window for France is already closed

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Schmidt said she would have team news soon but also said Germany didn't work out for being with her husband. So not sure how France would.

And yes, big Nike event tomorrow - lots of the Nike athletes on their way or already in Paris.

Post by ________________ »

England game - D'Angelo in, No Dmath or Quinn - Quinny looks like she is back in Ontario.

GK Stephanie Labb, age 32, from Stony Plain, AB / North Carolina Courage (NWSL)
GK Erin McLeod, age 36, from St. Albert, AB / Vxj DFF (Damallsvenskan)
GK Sabrina D'Angelo, age 25, from Welland, ON / Vittsj GIK (Damallsvenskan)
FB Allysha Chapman, age 30, from Courtice, ON / Houston Dash (NWSL)
FB Ashley Lawrence, age 23, from Caledon, ON /Paris Saint Germain (Division 1 Fminine France)
FB Lindsay Agnew, age 24, from Kingston, ON / Houston Dash (NWSL)
FB Jenna Hellstrom, age 23, from Sudbury, ON / KIF rebro (Damallsvenskan)
FB Jayde Riviere, age 17, from Markham, ON / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Girls Elite/ Canada Soccer Regional EXCEL Super Centre (Ontario)
CB Vanessa Gilles, 22, from Ottawa, ON / Les Girondins de Bordeaux (Division 1 Fminine France)
CB Kadeisha Buchanan, age 23, from Brampton, ON / Olympique Lyonnais (Division 1 Fminine France)
CB Shelina Zadorsky, age 26, from London, ON / Orlando Pride (NWSL)
CB Shannon Woeller, age 29, from Vancouver, BC / Eskilstuna United DFF (Damallsvenskan)
M Julia Grosso, age 18, from Vancouver, BC / The University of Texas at Austin (NCAA)
M Desiree Scott, age 31, from Winnipeg, MB / Utah Royals FC (NWSL)
M Jessie Fleming, age 21, from London, ON / UCLA (NCAA)
M Sophie Schmidt, age 30, from Abbotsford, BC / Houston Dash (NWSL)
M Gabrielle Carle, age 20, from Lvis, QC / Florida State University (NCAA)
F Deanne Rose, age 20, from Alliston, ON / University of Florida Gators (NCAA)
F Jordyn Huitema, age 17, from Chilliwack, BC / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Girls Elite/ Canada Soccer Regional EXCEL Super Centre (British Columbia)
F Nichelle Prince, age 24 from Ajax, ON / Houston Dash (NWSL)
F Christine Sinclair ( C ), age 35, from Burnaby, BC / Portland Thorns (NWSL)
F Janine Beckie, age 24, from Highlands Ranch, CO / Manchester City (FA Women's Super League)
F Adriana Leon, age 26, from King City, ON / West Ham United (FA Women's Super League)

---------------
Reactions:

Post by --------------- »

Canada Soccer now scrubbing their website in reaction to the abuse charges from 2008

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

--------------- wrote:Canada Soccer now scrubbing their website in reaction to the abuse charges from 2008
What abuse charges?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Any chance Canada Soccer will be streaming these friendlies?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
--------------- wrote:Canada Soccer now scrubbing their website in reaction to the abuse charges from 2008
What abuse charges?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-colu...5079651?cmp=rss

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

Guest wrote:Any chance Canada Soccer will be streaming these friendlies?
Should be streamed by the bbc but you'll probs need a vpn

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Any chance Canada Soccer will be streaming these friendlies?
Friday, watch #CANWNT face England LIVE on http://CanadaSoccer.com and http://TSN.ca ! Kick off at 14.00 ET / 11.00 PT!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Anyone know what's up with Quinn. I tried to look up why she's not with her French team anymore , couldn't find anything. I would assume injury , but she's back in Toronto .

Team looked good against England. I think that game will be an example of how the World Cup goes. They can shut down the other team, but not much offence .

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

D'Angelo doing well for her Swedish team (article in Swedish)
https://damfotbollblog.wordpress.com/2019/0...er-sex-matcher/

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:D'Angelo doing well for her Swedish team (article in Swedish)
https://damfotbollblog.wordpress.com/2019/0...er-sex-matcher/
Thanks Rainer for the interview.
https://damfotbollblog.wordpress.com/2019/0...-efter-matchen/

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Matheson and McLeod out of World Cup due to injuries.
https://www.canadasoccer.com/matheson-and-m...62182-preview-1

Guest_guest
Reactions:

Post by Guest_guest »

Expected for McLeod and Dmath too but mostly sad for her. She had a pretty good start last year for Utah with some killer moves. And she only got on the pitch for the last game of the WC 2015. Sucks to be forced out by injuries. 2 great Canadians and great athletes. :'(

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm mostly sad for Erin. She basically sacrificed her marriage for this one last chance at a WC. I wonder if she'll try for one last OG or just retire.

jlb

Post by jlb »

As expected Huitema signs with PSG,a four year contract is being reported.

Also,anyone looking to purchase a Nike Canada jersey,Sportchek has their friends and family sale on this weekend and the jersey is now $81+tax after applying the code.I believe the jerseys are only available online and not in stores and not customizable.Still a great pick up though.