The NHL Thread

Reactions:

Re: The NHL Thread

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 01:37
So. My Habs were behind 3-1. And now they just eliminated the Toronto Maple Leafs

:lol: x2 exactly me as well. My wife was getting so annoyed at me because I kept giggling :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Is it worse to get swept or lose a 3-1 lead? Who should feel worse McDavid/Draisaitl or Matthews/Marner?

4 of the top 6 point getters and 3 of the top 4 goal scorers in the regular season. They scored a combined total of 4 goals and took up over $40 million of cap space.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 01:59
Canucks fan here....disgusted that the habs won but disgusted at Toronto's core for not waking up. As the saying goes, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Leafs have every resource thrown at them yet this is what happens. Is it an attitude thing, like once you get paid millions you cease to care?
I must say though, it was somewhat satisfying to watch both mcdavid and matthews' teams blow the playoffs.
Not sure who to root for now, anyone but the bruins is good in my books.
You mean to tell me that you are a Canucks fan who can find it in herself to cheer for the leafs?? Cannot reconcile this in my head.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 03:49
Guest wrote:
Canucks fan here....disgusted that the habs won but disgusted at Toronto's core for not waking up. As the saying goes, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Leafs have every resource thrown at them yet this is what happens. Is it an attitude thing, like once you get paid millions you cease to care?
I must say though, it was somewhat satisfying to watch both mcdavid and matthews' teams blow the playoffs.
You mean to tell me that you are a Canucks fan who can find it in herself to cheer for the leafs?? Cannot reconcile this in my head.
Qmta
Actually don’t hate any of the remaining teams with the exception of the Bruins and the Knights. Fellow Canucks (and Caps) fan here, but actually wouldn’t mind seeing the Avs win this year even though they’ve been our division rivals once upon a time. Their core is really likeable.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 03:56
Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 03:49
Guest wrote:
Qmta
Actually don’t hate any of the remaining teams with the exception of the Bruins and the Knights. Fellow Canucks (and Caps) fan here, but actually wouldn’t mind seeing the Avs win this year even though they’ve been our division rivals once upon a time. Their core is really likeable.
My brother turned his back against the Canucks at a very young age because they stunk, and then started supporting the leafs for dark reasons still unknown to me. Unfortunately, him being a die hard Leafs fan for so many years has rubbed off on me, so I do begrudgingly support them from time to time. And like everyone else, I also took an interest in Matthews since they said he'd be the "next crosby." But I find the Canucks and our fanbase infinitely cooler 😎

Anyways, sorry about the caps loss to the bruins :( I was kind of cheering for the Panthers because I have questionable relatives in tampa bay that have made me dislike the Lightning by association, so it sucks they got outted too.

Guess I'll be cheering for the Avs now too :unsure:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm in Europe but I would love to see the Leafs finally win, because it would be historic. Such a disappointment, again. :eyeroll: John Tavares' horrible injury was devastating.

Well, I'm rooting for any Canadian team now, as this sport is much more important for Canadians than Americans. Since 1993 no team from Canada has won the Stanley Cup. Unbelievable! :blinkwide:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 03:47
Is it worse to get swept or lose a 3-1 lead? Who should feel worse McDavid/Draisaitl or Matthews/Marner?

4 of the top 6 point getters and 3 of the top 4 goal scorers in the regular season. They scored a combined total of 4 goals and took up over $40 million of cap space.
Leafs, in my opinion. Marner was responsible for the loss on Saturday for causing a 3-5 with that stupid penalty and Matthews couldn’t get the puck in the net. Marner is overpaid.

They have 3 of the top 10 highest paid players… they are far more talented than the Habs AND the Habs have the worst GM and ownership. But the Habs have heart (and Price).

As a Habs fan living in TO, today has been a beautiful day :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Sooo... go Jets I guess?! :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 19:51
From a Canadian perspective, which team has a better chance to win the Stanley Cup? The Canadiens are the ‘royalty’ of the sport, but do they have a team compatible with their historic reputation? The Jets could play the part of the underdog and pull a surprise, like so many American teams have done in the last 20 years.

In addition, a team’s performance is also related to the opponent it is facing. So, whilst Montreal by itself is sure to fire up the opposing team, there might be some dismissiveness of Winnipeg which could play to the Jets’ advantage.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 22:22
Guest wrote:
From a Canadian perspective, which team has a better chance to win the Stanley Cup? The Canadiens are the ‘royalty’ of the sport, but do they have a team compatible with their historic reputation? The Jets could play the part of the underdog and pull a surprise, like so many American teams have done in the last 20 years.

In addition, a team’s performance is also related to the opponent it is facing. So, whilst Montreal by itself is sure to fire up the opposing team, there might be some dismissiveness of Winnipeg which could play to the Jets’ advantage.
da
Also from a canadian’s perspective—Jets are expected to win over the Habs in this matchup. But regardless, while it’d be nice to see a Canadian team finally win the Stanley cup, we don’t necessarily cheer for teams because it’s a Canadian team. I’m from Vancouver and we would much rather see an American team win (except Boston, Knights, Hawks (although not as much hate anymore)) than another fellow Canadian team. Personally I don’t mind the Habs or Jets, but Leafs, and the Albertan teams (ie Flames and Oilers) are big no-nos. I think a lot of other Canadians across Canada share this sentiment too.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 22:54
Guest wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 22:22
Guest wrote:

da
Also from a canadian’s perspective—Jets are expected to win over the Habs in this matchup. But regardless, while it’d be nice to see a Canadian team finally win the Stanley cup, we don’t necessarily cheer for teams because it’s a Canadian team. I’m from Vancouver and we would much rather see an American team win (except Boston, Knights, Hawks (although not as much hate anymore)) than another fellow Canadian team. Personally I don’t mind the Habs or Jets, but Leafs, and the Albertan teams (ie Flames and Oilers) are big no-nos. I think a lot of other Canadians across Canada share this sentiment too.
Why everybody but the Bruins, Vegas and Chicago to you? Is it because of their fans?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

^DA but I think it's because she's a canucks fan and the bruins and chicago have been our arch enemies for awhile, plus the canucks lost their series against vegas last year.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The Leafs can't win because their top players play for the money and not the cup. :-/

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Cute....but those nails <_<

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Tanking works...again.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So....My Habs...

Guest74
Reactions:

Post by Guest74 »

Guest wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 20:12
So....My Habs...

Congrats on completing the sweep!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Well, if this isn't one of the most lop-sided games ever...

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 02:45
Well, if this isn't one of the most lop-sided games ever...
:blinkwide: you can say that again!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Somewhere in this universe, my father is losing his mind GO HABS!!! 🤭😭

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

It's sad, the 18th "best" team makes the Finals. The 4th place team from the 4th ranked division. :facepalm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 04:42
It's sad, the 18th "best" team makes the Finals. The 4th place team from the 4th ranked division. :facepalm:
That’s the whole beauty of the NHL right—playoff hockey is really a whole different mode and the winner is unpredictable.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 06:08
Guest wrote:
That’s the whole beauty of the NHL right—playoff hockey is really a whole different mode and the winner is unpredictable.
Why watch the regular season on tv or pay for season tickets?
Is that a feature or a problem for the NHL?
And why watch playoff hockey if none of the "stars" make it past the 2nd round (other than the Lightning players)?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 06:46
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
And why watch playoff hockey if none of the "stars" make it past the 2nd round (other than the Lightning players)?
Re:regular season - Because you still have trash teams like buffalo that really don’t belong in the playoffs to filter out.

Re:playoff hockey - Because the unpredictability is exciting. If you want results based on ranking, why play playoff hockey at all? The Cup would really just be the President’s trophy then.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 07:08
Guest wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 06:46
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Re:regular season - Because you still have trash teams like buffalo that really don’t belong in the playoffs to filter out.

Re:playoff hockey - Because the unpredictability is exciting. If you want results based on ranking, why play playoff hockey at all? The Cup would really just be the President’s trophy then.
Why "filter the trash teams"? Maybe they're just not regular season teams and would dominate playoff style hockey.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Yeah, hope we go back to the pre-COVID format.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

This final was boring... from a Habs fan and a hockey fan in general.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 15:17
Back to back champs for a small market is pretty exciting.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 15:59
Guest wrote:
DA

I think it's rather demeaning for the NHL that so many small market teams with no tradition in the sport win all the time. And Canada once again failed to get a Stanley Cup. The NHL is looking more and more like the MLS.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

:drunk:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 19:41

:drunk:
💯 :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 17:48
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA

I think it's rather demeaning for the NHL that so many small market teams with no tradition in the sport win all the time. And Canada once again failed to get a Stanley Cup. The NHL is looking more and more like the MLS.
What's more "demeaning" is to have a shitty regular season team make the finals rendering the regular season meaningless.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 21:37
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA

What's more "demeaning" is to have a shitty regular season team make the finals rendering the regular season meaningless.
Da
Are you a leafs fan? Must be pretty “demeaning” eliminated by a “shitty regular season team” then.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 22:12
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA

Da
Are you a leafs fan? Must be pretty “demeaning” eliminated by a “shitty regular season team” then.
Qmta
Having said that, congrats on the b2b tampa fans

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA

Da
DA but being a leafs fan has nothing to do with it (Leafs suck btw, so do the Habs). The only people who have a right to like this final series were TB fans. The Habs had no business being in the finals. They got hot at the right time and were able to capitalize on it. When it comes down to it, they were boring af. This was a boring af final. They got steamrolled. They only won 1 game because TB wanted to win the cup at home. There was a 20 point differential during the regular season, and it showed. I don't know what other sports some of you watch, but when hockey is boring, it's really f'ing boring. This was really f'ing boring to watch. Midway through Price decided he would just collect his paycheque lol. I can't wait until we get back to regular season and divisions.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA

Da
So you think they weren't a shitty regular season team in a division full of shitty teams? They finished 18th and would not have even made the post season if they didn't close the border.

If they were good, their fans wouldn't have been celebrating like they won the cup for not getting swept. You should be thanking the Tampa mayor for gifting you that win. At least y'all didn't burn down the city like Canucks fans.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 22:22
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

DA

Da
DA but being a leafs fan has nothing to do with it (Leafs suck btw, so do the Habs). The only people who have a right to like this final series were TB fans. The Habs had no business being in the finals. They got hot at the right time and were able to capitalize on it. When it comes down to it, they were boring af. This was a boring af final. They got steamrolled. They only won 1 game because TB wanted to win the cup at home. There was a 20 point differential during the regular season, and it showed. I don't know what other sports some of you watch, but when hockey is boring, it's really f'ing boring. This was really f'ing boring to watch. Midway through Price decided he would just collect his paycheque lol. I can't wait until we get back to regular season and divisions.
Lol conspiracy at best. No team’s going to purposefully give up an opportunity just to win the cup at home. It’s a nice story, but anything can happen in a playoff series and no lead is a safe lead.

I’m sorry you’re bored, but you’re not gonna have ground breaking exciting series every year. The games themselves may not be terribly exciting for you, but there’s been some pretty exciting storylines throughout this playoffs already. E.g. resurgence of Price during the playoffs after being called out for being overpaid throughout the regular season, Habs defying expectations, Leafs not winning a payoff series yet again, Vegas once again falling short of winning the cup, horrible reffing, Tampa winning b2b, Tampa playing fielding an over capped team (fair or not?)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 22:35
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

DA

Da
So you think they weren't a shitty regular season team in a division full of shitty teams? They finished 18th and would not have even made the post season if they didn't close the border.

If they were good, their fans wouldn't have been celebrating like they won the cup for not getting swept. You should be thanking the Tampa mayor for gifting you that win. At least y'all didn't burn down the city like Canucks fans.
Well, Vegas must be a pretty shitty team too eh?

It’s Montreal, arguably the most hockey of hockey cities. They haven’t been in a playoff finals since forever. They’re passionate fans...so not sure why they’re being faulted for celebrating a win? Especially if they are at the brink of being eliminated? Surviving one more game is a pretty good reason for celebration. So you really should just lay off the bitter pill and look forward to next season.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

:lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm so sad for my home team
Go Habs!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER! Hold your loved ones close, lock your doors + windows and stock up on food + water.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Me to my brother and dad: Florida in 7

Bro and dad: are you nuts???

Me now: :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Finally the hockey gods worked and made the panthers win 🙏🙏🙏 thank you I am soooo sick of the bruins and their annoying fanbase ever since the 2011 canucks vs bruins stanely cup final that shattered my heart. Go cats!!! Underdogs(cats) ftw!

(The commentators saying the rats thrown onto the ice for game 6 might be to represent the bruins players was hilarious, esp. since they were the canucks commentators during the regular season :lol:)

If you're a bruins fans reading this...sorry but you've had your glory days time to let us have 1 day of happiness :dramaqueen:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Presidents' Trophy curse strikes again. :nervous:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

And the Toronto Leafs do what they do best... :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: