FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Reactions:

Re: FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Post by Guest »

Women's World Cup players will receive $30K each, winners get $270K

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/ ... nners-270k
Every player at the Women's World Cup will be paid at least $30,000 by FIFA, and the 23 players in the title-winning team will each get $270,000.

The 16 nations exiting in the group stage will get a total of $2.25M from FIFA -- $690,000 to shares among the players and $1,560,000 for the federation.

FIFA will pay $10.5M to the title-winning nation. The majority of that, $6.21M, will be distributed among the players with the remaining $4.29 million going to the federation.

FIFA previously allocated $30.7M in total to help the 32 teams prepare for the tournament. The players' clubs will also get daily-rate payments from a $11.5M fund for releasing them to national-team duty.

It adds up to $152M in FIFA payments compared to $50 million for the tournament four years ago.

Infantino has cited getting a better commercial deal for women's soccer as the reason for publicly pushing broadcasters in key European markets to raise their offers for tournament rights.

Deals in England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain -- all with teams in the tournament lineup -- are unsigned just six weeks before the opening game.
$30k could be life changing for some of the players from the new additions to the tournament. Same for their countries federation and the future of women's soccer in those countries - if the corrupt elements in some of those places don’t pocket it.

The big EU countries playing chicken with FIFA over broadcasting rights is surprising though.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 21:31

Women's World Cup players will receive $30K each, winners get $270K

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/ ... nners-270k
Every player at the Women's World Cup will be paid at least $30,000 by FIFA, and the 23 players in the title-winning team will each get $270,000.

The 16 nations exiting in the group stage will get a total of $2.25M from FIFA -- $690,000 to shares among the players and $1,560,000 for the federation.

FIFA will pay $10.5M to the title-winning nation. The majority of that, $6.21M, will be distributed among the players with the remaining $4.29 million going to the federation.

FIFA previously allocated $30.7M in total to help the 32 teams prepare for the tournament. The players' clubs will also get daily-rate payments from a $11.5M fund for releasing them to national-team duty.

It adds up to $152M in FIFA payments compared to $50 million for the tournament four years ago.

Infantino has cited getting a better commercial deal for women's soccer as the reason for publicly pushing broadcasters in key European markets to raise their offers for tournament rights.

Deals in England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain -- all with teams in the tournament lineup -- are unsigned just six weeks before the opening game.
$30k could be life changing for some of the players from the new additions to the tournament. Same for their countries federation and the future of women's soccer in those countries - if the corrupt elements in some of those places don’t pocket it.

The big EU countries playing chicken with FIFA over broadcasting rights is surprising though.
In all honesty I get the Euro broadcasters not wanting to overpay for rights that might not get the massive audiences that one would be hoping for due to the timezone issues ie any games on weekdays are going to be when most people are at work. They don't have moral obligation to pay what FIFA is asking whereas FIFA can use some of the oodles of cash they made from their Qatar TV deals to cover the additional prize money handed out.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Interesting to see some media comment about tickets sales in NZ not being as fast as they would want. As a Kiwi I am super hyped for the tournament but the timing's not going to be the best for a lot of people - was talking to a friend who would love to take their kid's to a game or two but the school holidays finish literally a couple days before the tournament starts and the game times are too late for them to be able to drive to and from a nearby city.

Looking at the ticket portal, the big games seem to be selling well and I don't know that you'd get that many people for some of the smaller group stage games regardless of where the tournament is.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

New Zealand and australia are not realistic places for most people to fly to just to watch the World Cup.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 14:31
New Zealand and australia are not realistic places for most people to fly to just to watch the World Cup.
New Zealand and Australia are fantastic places to vacation though, and the tournament happens to be in the summer when most North American families are off on holiday - maybe EU & Asia too?

The Women's game is excellent for families. A much more friendly environment than the Men’s game.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 12:10
Interesting to see some media comment about tickets sales in NZ not being as fast as they would want. As a Kiwi I am super hyped for the tournament but the timing's not going to be the best for a lot of people - was talking to a friend who would love to take their kid's to a game or two but the school holidays finish literally a couple days before the tournament starts and the game times are too late for them to be able to drive to and from a nearby city.

Looking at the ticket portal, the big games seem to be selling well and I don't know that you'd get that many people for some of the smaller group stage games regardless of where the tournament is.
A lot of mid-range hotels for the semi-final,3rd place & finals matches are sold out as well. I generally prefer hostels with solo travel, and some of the nicer ones have sold out female rooms already, and their private rooms that are not sold out they have priced at regular hotel rate which is just mind boggling. And morning/early afternoon flights from AKL to SYD on Aug 16th is just - wtflol.

And I thought I was being way too overly cautious by starting to plan it out this early…

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Is women's football even that big in Aus/NZ? Or football in general?
Just feels like such a waste having it in those countries.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Starting to worry i will not be able to watch games on tv in UK,how has this not been sorted yet?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 19:18
Starting to worry i will not be able to watch games on tv in UK,how has this not been sorted yet?
Don't worry. I feel UK has more of a chance at sealing a deal than say Germany or Italy.
With the popularity of the women's Euro last year in the UK, BBC and ITV would get a lot of shit if they didn't air the games and it would be a huge step backwards for women's football after that huge step forward.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Women's World Cup ticket sales pass 1 million, exceeding France 2019 total - FIFA

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/ ... 2019-total
This year's Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand is on track to become the most attended standalone women's sporting event ever with over one million tickets sold, FIFA said on Thursday.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said the ninth edition of the Women's World Cup, which starts on July 20, has sold 1,032,884 tickets, surpassing the previous tournament in France in 2019.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 01:57

Women's World Cup ticket sales pass 1 million, exceeding France 2019 total - FIFA

This year's Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand is on track to become the most attended standalone women's sporting event ever with over one million tickets sold, FIFA said on Thursday.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said the ninth edition of the Women's World Cup, which starts on July 20, has sold 1,032,884 tickets, surpassing the previous tournament in France in 2019.
I wonder which country outside of Australia/NZ has bought the most tickets? Probably USA.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 03:41
Guest wrote:

I wonder which country outside of Australia/NZ has bought the most tickets? Probably USA.
I would say USA too, having been to both 2015&2019 WWC plus many other random USWNT games inside & outside of N.America - I can easily say the USWNT has a very, very large travel group. I don’t usually do the parade/march to the match but I have run into them a few times and it looks like something from the Men’s game. At least for the larger Women’s tournaments. I would even say the travel group for the USWNT is larger than the USMNT.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 03:41
Guest wrote:

There was a report on this a few months ago when they announced 500k tickets sold but I can’t find the article atm. It was USA by a huge margin. I think the other top countries were England, Netherlands, and Ireland

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 18:54
Guest wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 12:10

A lot of mid-range hotels for the semi-final,3rd place & finals matches are sold out as well. I generally prefer hostels with solo travel, and some of the nicer ones have sold out female rooms already, and their private rooms that are not sold out they have priced at regular hotel rate which is just mind boggling. And morning/early afternoon flights from AKL to SYD on Aug 16th is just - wtflol.

And I thought I was being way too overly cautious by starting to plan it out this early…
Yeah I'm one of those trying to make both semi finals and the flight prices were already skyrocketing when I booked earlier in the year.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I belive Italy has struck a deal, with the National TV streaming all Italy's games
No idea about the rest of the coverage...

[Italian] https://www.oasport.it/2023/06/calcio-l ... femminili/

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 10:24
I belive Italy has struck a deal, with the National TV streaming all Italy's games

Just italy games? It's better than nothing but still not good enough. FIFA need to sort this broadcasting situation out it makes the women's game look like a joke

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 14:57
Guest wrote:

Just italy games? It's better than nothing but still not good enough. FIFA need to sort this broadcasting situation out it makes the women's game look like a joke
I don't get what's taking them so long to reach deals. I mean the UK have offered what FIFA wanted yet still no announcement? Strange.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Is my translator working right, does it say they bought the rights for €200,000 ?

That seems really low

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 23:11
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Is my translator working right, does it say they bought the rights for €200,000 ?

That seems really low
Your translator works fine. The offer is low.
I guess they will only stream Italy's games and don't expect it to go far either. Shame they don't want to promote the sport.
Men haven't qualified twice in a row, yet they showed the tournament...

Dragonfish
Reactions: 87

Post by Dragonfish »

I’m pretty sure either BBC or ITV will get rights, would be absurd for them not to considering how much the game has grown over here in recent years.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Dragonfish wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 21:26
I’m pretty sure either BBC or ITV will get rights, would be absurd for them not to considering how much the game has grown over here in recent years.
Apparently England's friendly with Portugal will be on ITV1 yet they're not (at the moment) airing the actual World Cup? Seems silly. 008

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

:dance2:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Love all Washington’s bench players starting. I’m excited to see what Ricketts can do. Plus don’t want to risk injury to Hatch, Sanchez, Rodman.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Dragonfish wrote:
They both will now.

Threat of Women’s World Cup blackout averted after terrestrial TV deal agreed

• All games will be shown live on terrestrial TV in Europe
  • BBC and ITV share coverage in UK and both will show final
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... plnews_d-1

European viewers will be able to watch every match of the Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand live on terrestrial television this summer after threats of a tournament blackout were averted.

With the tournament five weeks away, broadcasters finally reached a compromise deal with Fifa on Wednesday when the European Broadcasting Union agreed to extend an existing media rights partnership with world football’s governing body. No details of the price ultimately negotiated were released.

The UK’s joint rights deal between BBC and ITV – which includes live commentary on BBC 5 Live – means games broadcast in Britain will be divided between them until the final, which will be transmitted on both channels.

Infantino said: “Fifa is delighted to widen the deal with the European Broadcasting Union for the transmission of the upcoming Women’s World Cup to include the five major markets, namely France, Germany, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom as well as Ukraine, thus ensuring maximum exposure for the tournament.”

Dragonfish
Reactions: 87

Post by Dragonfish »

Guest wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 01:04
Dragonfish wrote:
They both will now.

Threat of Women’s World Cup blackout averted after terrestrial TV deal agreed

• All games will be shown live on terrestrial TV in Europe
  • BBC and ITV share coverage in UK and both will show final
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... plnews_d-1

European viewers will be able to watch every match of the Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand live on terrestrial television this summer after threats of a tournament blackout were averted.

With the tournament five weeks away, broadcasters finally reached a compromise deal with Fifa on Wednesday when the European Broadcasting Union agreed to extend an existing media rights partnership with world football’s governing body. No details of the price ultimately negotiated were released.

The UK’s joint rights deal between BBC and ITV – which includes live commentary on BBC 5 Live – means games broadcast in Britain will be divided between them until the final, which will be transmitted on both channels.

Infantino said: “Fifa is delighted to widen the deal with the European Broadcasting Union for the transmission of the upcoming Women’s World Cup to include the five major markets, namely France, Germany, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom as well as Ukraine, thus ensuring maximum exposure for the tournament.”
I literally just came here to report the same thing as I’ve just read it 😊

I’m glad, obviously, that they have reached a deal, but the fact it even got to this stage is a disgrace. Imagine coverage of the men’s world cup only just “reaching a deal” like it’s some sort of achievement!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 06:24
Guest wrote:
Yeah I'm one of those trying to make both semi finals and the flight prices were already skyrocketing when I booked earlier in the year.
Did you (or anyone) get your tickets sent yet?

Got an email saying they will be delivered to the “FIFA Women's World Cup Australia & New Zealand 2023™ mobile ticketing application” but they dont provide a link that I can see. Do you know what app that is? It is the regular crappy FIFA one that barely functions?

I saw from the website they finally assigned seats. My seat for the 2nd semi-final has to be the farthest I have ever sat for any sporting event ever - they sent me to the farthest corner of the stadium like a bad child. Its comical, but its not a US game so not an issue. At least its an aisle seat. Maybe they found out I refused to pay exorbitant rates for the flight to make that game and took a convoluted routing milage ticket at $40 and am now being punished by soccer karma gods.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 01:50
Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 06:24
Guest wrote:
Did you (or anyone) get your tickets sent yet?

Got an email saying they will be delivered to the “FIFA Women's World Cup Australia & New Zealand 2023™ mobile ticketing application” but they dont provide a link that I can see. Do you know what app that is? It is the regular crappy FIFA one that barely functions?

I saw from the website they finally assigned seats. My seat for the 2nd semi-final has to be the farthest I have ever sat for any sporting event ever - they sent me to the farthest corner of the stadium like a bad child. Its comical, but its not a US game so not an issue. At least its an aisle seat. Maybe they found out I refused to pay exorbitant rates for the flight to make that game and took a convoluted routing milage ticket at $40 and am now being punished by soccer karma gods.
Apparently it's the "FIFA Women's World Cup Tickets" app?

I haven't downloaded it but from the sounds of it the tickets only get delivered relatively close to the actual games. People saying they only got their France 2019 ones a day or two before.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 08:03
Guest wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 01:50
Apparently it's the "FIFA Women's World Cup Tickets" app?

I haven't downloaded it but from the sounds of it the tickets only get delivered relatively close to the actual games. People saying they only got their France 2019 ones a day or two before.
Strange. Had searched fifa, fifa wwc and fifa tickets and got nothing but games and the reg fifa app. Searching “ FIFA Women's World Cup Tickets” and ‘ fifa ticket’ without the (s) brings it up.

I had the France tickets at least a week before. Remember they had to be printed and had to have the airline lounge print them out for me. Hope for a download option again and not digital only.

Thanks!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

World Cup 2023: D.C. plans to allow bars to remain open 24/7

https://justwomenssports.com/reads/2023 ... -24-hours/

Washington D.C. is gearing up for a round-the-clock party for the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

Bars and restaurants in the nation’s capital will be open 24 hours a day for the tournament once Mayor Muriel Bowser signs the new legislation into effect.

The D.C. Council passed the 2023 Women’s World Cup Emergency Amendment Act last week. The city approved a similar measure for the 2022 men’s World Cup.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I think this USA team is winnable, Europe should make them dance lol

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 18:20
I don't trust europe. Watch canada or Australia beat them instead

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 23:33
Guest wrote:
Canada or Australia would have have to make it to the final first.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 07:10
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Brazil and/or Australia will. With Germany, England, Spain and France on standby for support.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 14:13
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Brazil and/or Australia will. With Germany, England, Spain and France on standby for support.
Neither Brazil nor Australia will get by Germany

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 16:16
Guest wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 14:13
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Neither Brazil nor Australia will get by Germany
Brazil has already beat Germany not too long ago. Right after they almost equalised with England in finalissima.

Reactions:

FIFA 23 predicts USWNT Wins 2023 WWC

Post by Guest »

EA Sports, FIFA 23 predict US to win 2023 Women's World Cup

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/ ... -world-cup

EA Sports is on a bit of a roll when it comes to using its FIFA games to correctly predict men's World Cup winners, with a flawless streak stretching back four tournaments.

The gaming giant has successfully used its football franchise to forecast the winners of each of the past four tournaments: Spain in 2010, Germany in 2014, France in 2018 and Argentina in 2022.

So with the 2023 Women's World Cup set to kick off in Australia and New Zealand next month, EA Sports has used FIFA 23 to tell us who will clearly walk away with the trophy.

With the game's tournament updates, including a detailed database and freshly recalibrated player ratings available to users from the end of June, EA Sports ran the full competition -- all 64 games, from the group stage to the grand finale in Sydney -- in order to ascertain the overall winner.

The result? United States Women's National Team (USWNT) met Germany in the final, with the USWNT going on to lift the trophy after a 4-2 win.

Well I guess that settles that

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 May 2023, 20:44
Guest wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 03:01
My Quarter Finals => Finals bracket prediction:

Quarter Finals
  1. Japan v USA
  2. Spain v Sweden
  3. Canada Australia v France
  4. England v Germany
Semi Finals
  1. USA v Spain
  2. France v England Germany
Final
  • England Germany v USA
^qm - revising due to injuries.

Still hoping for England /USA final though
^qm

EA SPORTS FIFA 23 almost got the rest of it right :P

I think the final will be a single goal difference if not penalties.

They have Panama beating Brazil out of group stage. I like Brazil, but I still think this will be one of the more exciting group stages to watch.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

oof it's been a while since i've watched woso closely and i didn't realize so many players across various teams this time hand't been called up bc of injuries. some newbies i'm not familiar with but i'm really excited to follow

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Is there any website where I can find the list of broadcasting rights? I wanna know where to watch in my country

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 23:20
Is there any website where I can find the list of broadcasting rights? I wanna know where to watch in my country
Havent seen any announcements other than N.America, Europe, Australia/NZ

Guessing your regular sports channel outside those areas, or VPN and streaming service

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_FIFA ... ing_rights

The referee
Reactions:

Post by The referee »

They just dropped the official song of the tournament (do it again). Am I the only one to be disappointed :( ?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The referee wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 03:43
They just dropped the official song of the tournament (do it again). Am I the only one to be disappointed :( ?
no. you're not alone.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 01:45
Guest wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_FIFA ... ing_rights
The official website has a feature that shows you where each match will be available to watch for any given country :goldstar: https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tourna ... s-fixtures

Checking out the schedule, it finally dawned on me how hard it will be to follow the tournament this time, with most matches kicking off between 2 and 4am my time :nervous:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So, do we think players are dying their hair as a statement to FIFA or is it just a coincidence?

Rapinoe: blue
Alexia: pink
McCabe: green

(And who's next?)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:00
So, do we think players are dying their hair as a statement to FIFA or is it just a coincidence?

(And who's next?)
Alexia made a bet to dye her hair if Barca won Champions League. So no.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:10
Guest wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:00

(And who's next?)
Alexia made a bet to dye her hair if Barca won Champions League. So no.
Kill two birds with one stone?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

New Finals Tickets available in the FIFA ticket portal. Right Now.