FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Reactions:

Re: FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 19:38
Guest wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 15:49
Interesting that Haiti, Panama, and Portugal easily made it through the interconference playoff. It implies even the 'dregs' of CONCACAF and UEFA are a step above other conferences, and CONCACAF doesn't care a whit about women (read what the Jamaican team has gone through).
I'm a little upset that they put Jamaica and Panama got put in the same group. It's understandable for the UEFA teams because they have so many teams but there's 8 groups and only 6 CONCACAF teams. ^o)

Haiti has a lot of up and coming talent and Panama has literally the reincarnation of Nadine Angerer and Hope Solo as their gk. She was 16 in 2018 and she kicked serious ass at the qualifying tournament.
We Almost had Vietnam and Thailand in the same group too lol

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

A 366% raise: Prize money for this summer's women's World Cup rises to $110 million

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/s ... 484270002/
Prize money for the 32-team tournament in Australia and New Zealand will be $110 million, FIFA announced Thursday, more than triple the $30 million awarded at the 24-team World Cup in 2019. The 32 teams in the men’s tournament in Qatar last fall split $440 million.

The prize pool for this year’s World Cup also includes more than $40 million for the participating teams to use in preparation for the tournament, which begins July 20. FIFA said this will ensure conditions at the men’s and women’s tournaments – including accommodations and number of staff members – will be the same.
Nice to see improvements happening, people are finally starting to see the $$ in it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Less than 100 days to go now ^_^

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 03:01
My Quarter Finals => Finals bracket prediction:

Quarter Finals
  1. Japan v USA
  2. Spain v Sweden
  3. Canada Australia v France
  4. England v Germany
Semi Finals
  1. USA v Spain
  2. France v England Germany
Final
  • England Germany v USA
^qm - revising due to injuries.

Still hoping for England /USA final though

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

why there's no hype?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 May 2023, 20:44
Guest wrote:

Quarter Finals
  1. Japan v USA
  2. Spain v Sweden
  4. England v Germany
Semi Finals
  1. USA v Spain
Final
  • England Germany v USA

Brazil will be in the final

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 13:06
My prediction - USA beat Germany 2-0 in the final

Third place game is England v Sweden only because Sweden’s side of the bracket is very favorable
I think that if the USA reaches the final, it will be a demonstration that this World Cup has been quite mediocre. I know they have an easy draw, but it can cross with Sweden or Spain, so I hope that happens.

My bet is Germany or France (maybe Spain is also a candidate to win)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I dont understand people underestimating Spain and Frnace. Both are threats and has a chance to be one of the finalist or semis.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 May 2023, 13:33
I dont understand people underestimating Spain and Frnace. Both are threats and has a chance to be one of the finalist or semis.
I think they assume that because of all the internal turmoil Spain and France won’t be able to pull it together to do well. I think both teams will do better than many expect. For Spain I think most of the 15 will decide to come back, plus Alexia will be back. France already seems to be in a much better place now that Diacre is gone. I do think France’s primary focus will be the home Olympics next year though.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 May 2023, 13:33
If it helps I had/have them both in the semis when I first posted my bracket in December, but I agree with the other anon about internal issues and will keep them from the final

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 May 2023, 08:58
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Quarter Finals
  1. Japan v USA
  2. Spain v Sweden
  4. England v Germany
Semi Finals
  1. USA v Spain
Final
  • England Germany v USA

Brazil has an unlucky draw - imo the one of, if not the toughest group with France & Panama (I think they will surprise but not make it out of group unless Brazil fumbles) - I don't think they will.

Most likely, Brazil ends up 2nd in their group and have to face Germany in the round of 16.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

When do they usually drop the final roster?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 May 2023, 03:36
two-three weeks before the tournament

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 May 2023, 23:55
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Quarter Finals
  1. Japan v USA
  2. Spain v Sweden
  4. England v Germany
Semi Finals
  1. USA v Spain
Final
  • England Germany v USA

Brazil has an unlucky draw - imo the one of, if not the toughest group with France & Panama (I think they will surprise but not make it out of group unless Brazil fumbles) - I don't think they will.

Most likely, Brazil ends up 2nd in their group and have to face Germany in the round of 16.
Panama is tough?? Lol they had to play a play off to even qualify.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 May 2023, 11:09
Guest wrote:
09 May 2023, 23:55
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Quarter Finals
  1. Japan v USA
  2. Spain v Sweden
  4. England v Germany
Semi Finals
  1. USA v Spain
Final
  • England Germany v USA

Panama is tough?? Lol they had to play a play off to even qualify.
Try reading again. Didnt say they were tough, I said I think they will surprise - but not make it out of group. What other group has 2 good teams and a decent 3rd team, aside from group F, with any chance of making it to the round of 16? Maybe Group A, only because home field advantage can be a real thing

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm hoping for Sweden to go all the way. If they don't fuck it up. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 15:01
Guest wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 16:26
Guest wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 11:31
Guest wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 16:11
Guest wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 01:27
I think the Us is still the best team especially with critical injuries to players from other nations. I think Germany is the best team in the world and they were able to beat them.
If they don't have any major injuries then I expect to see Germany in the final, not England.
I think it will be USA - germany . USA has an almost guaranteed path to the final. The toughest team on their side of the bracket is the Netherlands who won’t have their best player
I would say a USA v Spain match-up in the semi-finals will be the first time the US is really challenged. & England’s Mead still has a chance to come back
Da. Who knows if Beth Mead will make it back for the WC but honestly England has plenty of depth on their bench so much so that a number of those bench players Sarina Wiegman could easily have as starters for her on any given match day and what a great position for Sarina to be in on that account. I've been following the England team more closely since Sarina took over and wow has she done a great job with this team, they have really come together as a more complete unit, it is a pleasure to watch them on the pitch and see how they have grown and have more confidence.
England's talent and depth is outstanding and being from the US and always a fan of them, I can honestly say that as of now England imo has the edge over the US and even Germany! The England team is on a mission and you can see it and almost even feel it whenever they are on the pitch, there is a hunger and desire to win it all and I cannot say it looks the same from my own countries team. As much as I have always supported the uswnt and have been a fan forever and always will, I would be ok and happy for England if they win the WC. their team is a close unit and are special players it is hard to not like them and their coach.
I like your optimism re England.
I am an England supporter and I hope you're right, but I've also followed the squad closely and I do believe it will take a bit longer to rebuild the balance Sarina Wiegman was able to create for the Euro. They had the perfect mix of youth and experience then, let alone playing on home soil. At the moment between injuries and retirements, she will have to change 5 of her starting 11 at least.
I do hope Beth Mead makes it back, she seems to have a positive impact on the group has a person, not just as a player. But with no Kirby and no Williamson, Walsh will need a big help front and back, because she will be guarded. Everybody saw what difference she made at the Euros and how the team was dependent on her.
There are good young players coming from behind (James, Morgan, Parker to name some), we have to hope they have the same impact Toone, Russo and Stanway had.
Possibly the last World Cup for Bronze, she'd definitely deserves a high.

USA and Germany seem the most solid. Can never count out Sweden. Spain depends very much on how they handle internal issues, the talent is there. I'm hoping Italy will surprise, not that they can win, but doing one better than 2019 would be awesome, they are fun to watch, creative, when they play well.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Of course France, Brazil, Canada should also be in the mix!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The international football thread closed ?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

There is a board wise rule that after a thread reaches 2000 pages, you need to a new thread. Idk why but it's how it works here. International Football thread reach like 2060 pages. So the mod came in and locked the thread at night but will take their sweet time to open a new thread. Probably in their morning. Until then I can guess we can use this thread temporarily.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

From the mod Ripley in both IF and USWNT thread.

For international football thread: Hi ladies - It's time to start a new thread. We close them after they reach 2000 pages. I just noticed this one.

Thread Locked.

For USWNT thread:(also reached like 2100 pages): Hi ladies - It's time to start a new thread. We close them after they reach 2000 pages. I just noticed this one.

Thread Locked.

No update on when they wil open the new ones lmao. Zootopia Sloths could mod this place better.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Someone requested in complaints thread too to open the new threads no response from mods as usual.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Love how the mods are nowhere to be found when the trolls take over, but suddenly pop in to lock threads and then again nowhere to be found when a new one needs to be opened.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Let's go back to tapa - can't post the real link here it'll be blocked because of the petty mod beef between the 2 L chats

https://shorturl.at/AEJT6

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Wob down by two goals againt frankfurt (one of it was Pajors own goal and another their shit defenses mistake) and they they think they can stop Bayern from winning the league? Pls.

Also Barca is so winning the CL atp. Wob is BAD.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

New thread has been opened!
:dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
All rosters to be set by July 10th

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
15 May 2023, 00:20
Guest wrote:
and the tournament starts the 20th? :/ doesnt leave much time left for the panini stickers

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
15 May 2023, 19:11
Guest wrote:
15 May 2023, 00:20
Guest wrote:
and the tournament starts the 20th? :/ doesnt leave much time left for the panini stickers
Stickers coming early June, already on pre-sale in Panini shops in certain countries and also on e-bay.

Dragonfish
Reactions: 87

Post by Dragonfish »

Before all of the injuries, I’d have confidently said England to win, but now I’m not so sure, although I have confidence in Serena, she knows what she’s doing and her experience will hopefully work a little magic.

Good that the FA are finally initiating research in to the cause of acl injuries in women’s football 🙄

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
12 May 2023, 17:18
Of course France, Brazil, Canada should also be in the mix!
Canada only seems to do well in the Olympics and faceplant the WC. Especially with their own national organization barely supporting them lately , I doubt they would go far this year.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

France or Brazil will win.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I think Denmark will go far this year, how far remains to be seen. They have like 3 or four mvp players and Denmark won all their friendlies this year ( yes even if it was by just one goal) even without all of them in the team now imagine a fully fit team.

Dragonfish

Post by Dragonfish »

Disappointed Mapi won’t feature for Spain. Still have such a soft spot for her :wub:
1 Image

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2023, 03:14
Choke queens

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Without Cascarino, they won't get far. The Brazilian Defenses is still in debate.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

If you don't want to buy the album or it won't reach your country, download it on the app, it's fun.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 May 2023, 20:58
Guest wrote:
Without Cascarino, they won't get far. The Brazilian Defenses is still in debate.
No Cascarino, no Katoto, new coach, ain't looking very good.
Brazil is not at a phase in their rebuilding where they can be winners of a competition like this, but they showed in friendlies that they can compete against every team, if they beat france and take first place in their group they have a realistic chance to reach semis, otherwise they're likely going out in round of 16.
The winner is likely to be USA, if not them on the other side of the bracket is England or Germany.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
27 May 2023, 02:09
If you don't want to buy the album or it won't reach your country, download it on the app, it's fun.
If anyone's looking for a team: Join my Collectors Team 'the loo'! Team-Id: 879, Password: puffy. #FIFAWWC #FIFAPaniniCollection
https://paninicollection.fifa.com/s/ct/ ... word=puffy

Portugal is the first team to announce their 23

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

England squad nominated.

Goalkeepers: Mary Earps, Hannah Hampton, Ellie Roebuck

Defenders: Millie Bright, Lucy Bronze, Jess Carter, Niamh Charles, Alex Greenwood, Esme Morgan, Lotte Wubben-Moy

Midfielders: Laura Coombes, Jordan Nobbs, Georgia Stanway, Ella Toone, Katie Zelem, Kiera Walsh

Strikers: Rachel Daly, Beth England, Lauren Hemp, Lauren James, Katie Robinson, Chloe Kelly, Alessia Russo

Personally very happy about it. Chuffed for Nobbs, Wubben-Moy and England for making the squad.
Sarina truly rewards players performing.

Sad to confirm Beth Mead didn't make it back in time, but I think it's fair and she'll be back stronger (same goes for Kirby and Williamson).

Dragonfish

Post by Dragonfish »

Guest wrote:
31 May 2023, 13:15
England squad nominated.

Defenders: Millie Bright, Lucy Bronze, Jess Carter, Niamh Charles, Alex Greenwood, Esme Morgan, Lotte Wubben-Moy

Midfielders: Laura Coombes, Jordan Nobbs, Georgia Stanway, Ella Toone, Katie Zelem, Kiera Walsh

Strikers: Rachel Daly, Beth England, Lauren Hemp, Lauren James, Katie Robinson, Chloe Kelly, Alessia Russo

Personally very happy about it. Chuffed for Nobbs, Wubben-Moy and England for making the squad.

Sad to confirm Beth Mead didn't make it back in time, but I think it's fair and she'll be back stronger (same goes for Kirby and Williamson).
X2 that’s a decent squad provided Bronze and Bright don’t suffer any issues after their injuries.

Agree with Nobbs and England, very glad they’ve made it in.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Does anyone else always get a wallchart for every international football tournament? Sometimes I feel childish but I like putting all the scores up on the wall :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
England squad nominated.

Only partially true because if that was the case she would see LWM costing her teams important matches with big blunders in every single match while Maya Le Tissier actually helped United reduce the number of goals they conceded in half from last season. Yet she picked clearly superior performance over this.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
31 May 2023, 17:16
Guest wrote:
England squad nominated.

Only partially true because if that was the case she would see LWM costing her teams important matches with big blunders in every single match while Maya Le Tissier actually helped United reduce the number of goals they conceded in half from last season. Yet she picked clearly superior performance over this.

Maybe she's like the Harry Maguire of women's football. Plays bad for their club but not that bad for England.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

She has one big howler in every match, for club and country. And when your key players are injured, dumb to bet on a maybe instead of a sure thing like MLT. Its good she picked Beth England tho after rejecting her constantly so hopefully she comes to her senses about this too.

Dragonfish

Post by Dragonfish »

Guest wrote:
31 May 2023, 17:36
She has one big howler in every match, for club and country. And when your key players are injured, dumb to bet on a maybe instead of a sure thing like MLT. Its good she picked Beth England tho after rejecting her constantly so hopefully she comes to her senses about this too.
Bright was the same when she played centre back with Houghton, but she has matured immensely and is now pretty solid at cb. Although, maybe she is playing better without Houghton

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I like Maya and she's had a good season, but I think Lotte has now more experience in important games, both with club and country.
Yes, she has made some mistakes that cost her team, but any defender ends up collecting some of those.
And the Arsenal - Wolfsburg mistake was the only one she made, costly, true, but that comes with the job. It's even worse for goal keepers... a forward can miss all opportunities and the team can still draw, a GK mistake and you lose the game.
For me it was more between Morgan and Le Tissier than with LWM.

That said any of the three who was going to be left out would feel like they deserved the call up. It was a close one.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Play girls, we are very few.
https://paninicollection.fifa.com/launch

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Updated list of current rosters that have been released:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/socce ... l-32-teams
England

Goalkeepers:
  • Mary Earps (Manchester United)
    Hannah Hampton (Aston Villa)
    Ellie Roebuck (Manchester City)
Defenders:
  • Millie Bright (Chelsea)
    Lucy Bronze (Barcelona)
    Jess Carter (Chelsea)
    Niamh Charles (Chelsea)
    Alex Greenwood (Manchester City)
    Esme Morgan (Manchester City)
    Lotte Wubben-Moy (Arsenal)
Midfielders:
  • Laura Coombs (Manchester City)
    Jordan Nobbs (Aston Villa)
    Georgia Stanway (Bayern Munich)
    Ella Toone (Manchester United)
    Keira Walsh (Barcelona)
    Katie Zelem (Manchester United)
Forwards:
  • Rachel Daly (Aston Villa)
    Bethany England (Tottenham Hotspur)
    Lauren Hemp (Manchester City)
    Lauren James (Chelsea)
    Chloe Kelly (Manchester City)
    Katie Robinson (Brighton & Hove Albion)
    Alessia Russo (Manchester United)
Portugal

Goalkeepers:
  • Rute Costa (SL Benfica)
    Inês Pereira (Servette FC)
    Patrícia Morais (SC Braga)
Defenders:
  • Ana Seiça (SL Benfica)
    Carole (SL Benfica)
    Catarina Amado (SL Benfica)
    Diana Gomes (Sevilla FC)
    Joana Marchão (Parma Calcio 2022)
    Lúcia Alves (SL Benfica)
    Silvia Rebelo (SL Benfica)
Midfielders:
  • Ana Rute (SC Braga)
    Andreia Norton (SL Benfica)
    Andreia Jacinto (Real Sociedad)
    Dolores Silva (SC Braga)
    Fátima Pinto (Deportivo Alavés)
    Kika Nazareth (SL Benfica)
    Tatiana Pinto (Levante UD)
Forwards:
  • Ana Borges (Sporting CP)
    Ana Capeta (Sporting CP)
    Carolina Mendes (SC Braga)
    Diana Silva (Sporting CP)
    Jéssica Silva (SL Benfica)
    Telma Encarnação (CS Marítimo)
Germany and Netherlands is listed as well, but those are both provisional and not cut down to the final 23

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Has anyone tried looking for accommodations near the stadiums using the Names FIFA listed on the schedule? If not but you plan to, the names FIFA list are not the same names used by map apps in many cases! And it’s even worse for larger cities with multiple stadiums. Plus, when reading reviews and property descriptions, people use the common branded name when referencing.

So if you are starting to plan like that, you may have to search like Stadium Australia to know that it is Accor Stadium is google maps. Google maps takes you to Accor Stadium when you use Stadium Australia - but no where on the info pin does it say Stadium Australia. I guess I have been burned too many times to trust that first hit without confirmation (some just return not found). And there are multiple stadiums in Sydney. Had to get the current names for most stadiums:

Stadium Australia => Accor Stadium
Wellington Regional Stadium => Sky Stadium
Brisbane Stadium => Suncorp Stadium
Eden Park => Eden Park - (1 of 10 good job FIFA & thanks)

Those are the one’s I’ll be at - but looking at the others:

Sydney Football Stadium => Allianz Stadium
Dunedin Stadium => Forsyth Barr Stadium
Melbourne Rectangular Stadium => AAMI Park
Waikato Stadium => FMG Stadium Waikato
Perth Rectangular Stadium => HBF Park
Hindmarsh Stadium => Coopers Stadium Adelaide

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

& /rant.