Reactions:

Skating/Longboarding

Post by Guest »

Talk about all things skating. :lol:

iamuami as guest
Reactions:

Re: Skating/Longboarding

Post by iamuami as guest »

Purchased the Evolve bamboo all terrain last summer. It’s fun but I probably won’t use it as much as I should hence I have a bit of buyers remorse. lol Oh well.

Zing
Reactions: 120

Post by Zing »

^ ah you’re still around? You probably don’t remember but we used to PM yearsssssss ago. I was under a different name.

Zing

Post by Zing »

I love this IG page with vintage clips on it. I might go the skate park down the street tomorrow to record/post clips and show this place how it’s supposed to be done.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

This thread really makes me want to dust off my skateboard and go out tomorrow. I’ve been using is as an abs roller all winter. Might go around the neighborhood if the weather’s nice.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 05:59
This thread really makes me want to dust off my skateboard and go out tomorrow. I’ve been using is as an abs roller all winter. Might go around the neighborhood if the weather’s nice.
Lol! Clever. And same but every time I resume skating after a hiatus, I'm sooo wobbly and awkward. It makes me self-conscious. :fool:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

iamuami as guest wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 22:51
Purchased the Evolve bamboo all terrain last summer. It’s fun but I probably won’t use it as much as I should hence I have a bit of buyers remorse. lol Oh well.
How much was it?? What made you choose to go with all terrain over a regular longboard? Or do all the electrics have those wheels?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Can anybody recommend good wheels for street skating? Mine are insanely hard and make it a pain to skate any roads.

I want to get a cruiser board to just for casual riding, but not sure what a good brand is compared to skateboards.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

A thread like this one makes me long for the good old days of Silverfish. 008
RIP The Fish, I loved you so much.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 08:44
Can anybody recommend good wheels for street skating? Mine are insanely hard and make it a pain to skate any roads.

I want to get a cruiser board to just for casual riding, but not sure what a good brand is compared to skateboards.

highly recommended ricta clouds 92a 54mm, perfect for street skating, smooth AF on rough surface but not to soft for u to pop some tricks

iamuami as guest
Reactions:

Zing wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 23:01
^ ah you’re still around? You probably don’t remember but we used to PM yearsssssss ago. I was under a different name.
Yeah, I'm still around. What was your name? Not J***, was it? lol

iamuami as guest
Reactions:

Guest wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 06:24
iamuami as guest wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 22:51
How much was it?? What made you choose to go with all terrain over a regular longboard? Or do all the electrics have those wheels?

I got it for the price it's available now ... $1,699. I chose the all terrain because I'm not actually a real rider (lolol) and I wanted some comfort while cruising the streets. I think you can choose whatever type of wheels you like, regular or all terrain.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 08:44

If you want to turn your board into a cruiser you could change to soft wheels, short decks and mini cruisers mostly come with traditional trucks and will feel quite similar to the board you already have with soft wheels, of course if you want a longer deck that's a different matter.
Something like Chubby/Fatty Hawgs or any other soft wheel in the 78a-80a to 83a duro will do, I wouldn't go above 60-63 mm, add 1/2 inch risers and you are set. You could push it to 65-70 mm but you'll need bigger risers and if your deck doesn't have cutouts you may still get a lot of wheelbite.
Cruising is more fun with lose trucks, so I would also pick a set of longboard bushings, something made out of decent uretane, skateboards for some reason always have horrid hard as a rock bushings that have zero response and rebound. I like Sabre and Riptide but there are a ton of good brands.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I've wanted to get on a skateboard for over 10+ years, and I'm finally moving out and will be able to. I'm in my early 20s though, is this too old? I'm nervous about my balance since I think I'm kind of clumsy.

I also want to just cruise around, I won't be trying tricks. Can I still get a regular skateboard or would something like a penny board be best?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 17:34
I've wanted to get on a skateboard for over 10+ years, and I'm finally moving out and will be able to. I'm in my early 20s though, is this too old? I'm nervous about my balance since I think I'm kind of clumsy.

I also want to just cruise around, I won't be trying tricks. Can I still get a regular skateboard or would something like a penny board be best?
You are still a baby, I've seen people start in their 40s and they did just fine. Balance is a thing you will develop so no worries about that, it will come with practice.
If you want to cruise I would avoid a regular skateboard and definitely avoid a penny, the firsts are made for doing tricks, they are very noisy, small hard wheels, not very fun to ride around since they are made for a different purpose.
A penny is not very good because they are very small, no real grip on the surface, they are kinda low quality for what you pay too. Not good for going fast, not good for riding long distances or even medium distances or commuting, very difficult to learn compared to a bigger board.
I'd pick a medium size longboard or a bigger size cruiser, not a pintail (I see a lot of beginners pick those and they are fun but you will outgrow it very fast, not really worth it if it's your only board), not something too long or too stiff.
Longboards usually come stock with reverse kingpin trucks and bigger softer wheels, they are just more comfortable and enjoyable to ride on the street because that's what they are made for.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 18:43
Guest wrote:

You are still a baby, I've seen people start in their 40s and they did just fine. Balance is a thing you will develop so no worries about that, it will come with practice.
If you want to cruise I would avoid a regular skateboard and definitely avoid a penny, the firsts are made for doing tricks, they are very noisy, small hard wheels, not very fun to ride around since they are made for a different purpose.
A penny is not very good because they are very small, no real grip on the surface, they are kinda low quality for what you pay too. Not good for going fast, not good for riding long distances or even medium distances or commuting, very difficult to learn compared to a bigger board.
I'd pick a medium size longboard or a bigger size cruiser, not a pintail (I see a lot of beginners pick those and they are fun but you will outgrow it very fast, not really worth it if it's your only board), not something too long or too stiff.
Longboards usually come stock with reverse kingpin trucks and bigger softer wheels, they are just more comfortable and enjoyable to ride on the street because that's what they are made for.
Thanks for the advice! I wanted something smaller so I guess that's why I was asking about skateboards/penny boards specifically. I'll for sure check out some longboards then. I looked online and saw short longboards are a thing, I might do research about those.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 19:28
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I wanted something smaller so I guess that's why I was asking about skateboards/penny boards specifically. I'll for sure check out some longboards then. I looked online and saw short longboards are a thing, I might do research about those.
If you really want a plastic board look around for some different brands, they can be fun and but the Penny is really just overpriced and there is no point spending so much on it when you can get a board in wood with good hardware for almost the same price.
Something like a Landyachtz Dinghy or the Dinghy shape 9 is the size of the Penny Dime (the bigger one) but the deck is wood and great quality, all the components are up to standard and so on and they have slightly fatter models that are just a bit wider for more comfort like the Dinghy Blunt or bigger like the Pocket Knife.
Santa Cruz has some good ones, Arbor has the Pocket Rocket and the Sizzler if you want to go bigger, I've heard good things about some of the Globe cruisers like the Blazer, Big Blazer and the fishtail if you want something more surfy in looks.
My smallest board is a Longboardlarry Humu and that's as tiny as you get, still fun if you like the sensation of being on the verge of death at medium speed but I wouldn't recommend it to beginners. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 20:42
Guest wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 19:28
Guest wrote:

If you really want a plastic board look around for some different brands, they can be fun and but the Penny is really just overpriced and there is no point spending so much on it when you can get a board in wood with good hardware for almost the same price.
Something like a Landyachtz Dinghy or the Dinghy shape 9 is the size of the Penny Dime (the bigger one) but the deck is wood and great quality, all the components are up to standard and so on and they have slightly fatter models that are just a bit wider for more comfort like the Dinghy Blunt or bigger like the Pocket Knife.
Santa Cruz has some good ones, Arbor has the Pocket Rocket and the Sizzler if you want to go bigger, I've heard good things about some of the Globe cruisers like the Blazer, Big Blazer and the fishtail if you want something more surfy in looks.
My smallest board is a Longboardlarry Humu and that's as tiny as you get, still fun if you like the sensation of being on the verge of death at medium speed but I wouldn't recommend it to beginners. :lol:
Understandable regarding the plastic/Penny stuff, I think I would want to get something made of wood. Thanks for being so detailed! I'll check them out.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Anyone that's completely new to skating and genuinely doubts their coordination I recommend wearing a helmet! I know it sounds lame but you don't want a bad bump to the head. A butt pad wouldn't hurt either lol.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 22:18
Anyone that's completely new to skating and genuinely doubts their coordination I recommend wearing a helmet! I know it sounds lame but you don't want a bad bump to the head. A butt pad wouldn't hurt either lol.
No no girls, the helmet is a must for everybody. I know in the lollipop skate community there is still this weird reluctance to it, but the longboard community is solidly for the use of helmets and protections. Nobody will look down on you, it's the people that don't wear one that are considered the village idiots.

Shelby
Reactions: 177

Post by Shelby »

I love going downhill on a longboard. I think I might like to get another smaller cruiser board or a regular skateboard I can do tricks on. I can't decide which to get.
My pronouns are Cash/App and Venmo/me

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Shelby wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 22:43
I love going downhill on a longboard. I think I might like to get another smaller cruiser board or a regular skateboard I can do tricks on. I can't decide which to get.
You could always get a skateboard and soft wheels + risers for when the occasion strikes.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 22:32
Guest wrote:
No no girls, the helmet is a must for everybody. I know in the lollipop skate community there is still this weird reluctance to it, but the longboard community is solidly for the use of helmets and protections. Nobody will look down on you, it's the people that don't wear one that are considered the village idiots.
people that don’t wear helmets are not considered village idiots lmfao it’s just not necessary at a certain point, if you feel comfortable enough to skate without one that’s fine and nobody thinks much of it especially considering the majority don’t wear helmets

it’s only a problem when you don’t wear one and bully people who do, but that’s not as common as you’d think

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Wow! Interesting information about the different kinds of skates.
You ladies sure know your stuff!

Any tips/good resources for someone who's been dreaming about skating for basically ever and finally has some time to learn? (Thanks you lockdown!)
And yeah, I don't see myself trying without protections (helmet but also knee/elbow/wrists protections).
Looks like I'll have to add butt protection to the list as well. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 23:59
Guest wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 22:32
Guest wrote:
people that don’t wear helmets are not considered village idiots lmfao it’s just not necessary at a certain point, if you feel comfortable enough to skate without one that’s fine and nobody thinks much of it especially considering the majority don’t wear helmets

it’s only a problem when you don’t wear one and bully people who do, but that’s not as common as you’d think
People that skate fast use helmets, then if you are talking about going half a mile per hour while trying to ollie up a 5 cm curb in a skatepark, whatever, the risk is kinda low and they can get brain damage if they like it so much. If you want to longboard at any speed on a road helmet is a must, I also suggest at least slide gloves even if you don't plan to slide.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

What are skater girls like?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Alright I have to agree now that wearing a helmet is smarter/better than not wearing one. Advocating for safety should be a first. Then it's up to each person to choose and assume whatever risks they take on.

I had a friend-average skater, fall over some cracks in the street while on her longboard and sustained a concussion.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 00:17
What are skater girls like?
Laid-back, chill!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 00:36
Alright I have to agree now that wearing a helmet is smarter/better than not wearing one. Advocating for safety should be a first. Then it's up to each person to choose and assume whatever risks they take on.

I had a friend-average skater, fall over some cracks in the street while on her longboard and sustained a concussion.
She wasn't going at a fast speed like they do in downhill longboarding. Just commuting from point a to point b.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 00:43
Guest wrote:

She wasn't going at a fast speed like they do in downhill longboarding. Just commuting from point a to point b.
Yeah, but you don't need to go fast, the stance when riding a skateboard makes it just extremely easy to get head injuries when something goes wrong. It is what it is.
Anyway, be smart and wear a helmet girls, I've seen a caved in skull and it wasn't a nice view. :tinfoil:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

The first rule of skating is that you’re not a true longboarder if you don’t have a self righteous need to lecture about inane topics.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 09:45
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

The first rule of skating is that you’re not a true longboarder if you don’t have a self righteous need to lecture about inane topics.
DA :eyeroll:
The problem with people like you is that when you fall and get brain damage or worse because you were not wearing a lid, then legislators being as dumb as you, don't blame the stupidity of the person manifested by a lack of a helmet for the catastrophic results, they proceed to ban skating. It happened so many times to the point that in some countries, like mine, skating is illegal on roads. So the stupidity of some ruined the scene for everybody else, that's why people insist on helmets.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Well I do value advocating for safety first, especially where safety is actually of concern. Of course everyone can ultimately make choices for themselves.

"Inane topics" yeah, we share no common ground here.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 09:45
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Well I do value advocating for safety first, especially where safety is actually of concern. Of course everyone can ultimately make choices for themselves.

"Inane topics" yeah, we share no common ground here.

*edit: i forgot to quote

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Living a couple of links to decent reviews and comparisons (also tips on how to adapt a trick deck for cruising at the end of the article) for the anon that asked about cruisers and minis.
https://www.skateboardershq.com/recomme ... -cruisers/
Also some wheels comparisons, scroll down for cruising wheels.
https://www.skateboardershq.com/best-skateboard-wheels/

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Shelby wrote:
Do you go very steep fast? Any decline I've gone on catches speed so quickly I freak out and jump off my board! Not to mention I get the wobbles.

Shelby
Reactions: 177

Post by Shelby »

Guest wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 20:51
Shelby wrote:
Do you go very steep fast? Any decline I've gone on catches speed so quickly I freak out and jump off my board! Not to mention I get the wobbles.
I always carve when I go downhill, that helps with the speed. Sliding is really fun too ^_^
My pronouns are Cash/App and Venmo/me

Zing

Post by Zing »

iamuami as guest wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 15:23
Zing wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 23:01
Yeah, I'm still around. What was your name? Not J***, was it? lol
Of course 🙃

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Now that it's an Olympic sport there will be more girls skating :dance2: