Korean Dramas

Reactions:

Re: Korean Dramas

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 18:12
I was already stanning actresses in their 40's and 50's (hello, Kim Seo-hyung!) but I wasn't expecting Kim Hee-ae and Moon So-ri to alter my brain chemistry the way they did in Queenmaker.
Did we lose the Mine/KSH threads? Anyways, bringing this one back Chaeyun aka dolphin girl is really all of us KSH fangirls :rofl: :heart:
I'll always thank the L chat for introducing me to her. I watched SKY castle and totally fell in love with her, then i checked the Mine thread and realized she was in it too and she played gay!

I don't want to watch her next tv show because her character is terminally ill and I don't feel like crying, but also she deserves to be supported. Knetz treated her like shit a in her 30's because she played a villain and they hated her character. She couldn't book a job for years because those idiots don't know the difference between an actor and their character. She's really talented.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

^
What is the name of the drama? Temptation of wife?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 20:09
Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 17:34
not to be a debbie downer but many of these famous kdrama women writers are unable to let go of their heteronormative brains and can never writer a woman's story that doesn't include a man. like there was no reason to insert a romance into the glory. even knetz who watched said it was so unnecessary but these WOMEN writers can't help themselves.

i'm not even asking for gay romance since that seems like a lost cause but can they for once not insert unnecessary het romances into their stories about women? it is an impossible task for almost all of them.

I absolutely agree with you, that's one of the downsides I see in kdramas, and it'll take a bit of time before those writers (or the EP, because sometimes, the decision to include a male love interest comes from the EP, or the channel itself to boost interest and sell ad slots at a higher price) let go of the traditional framework. Korea is still very conservative, and the women writing those stories are a certain age too, so we have to take this into account. Sadly we can't have everything, we'll always have to put up with stuff we'd rather not have. Maybe the up and coming generation of writers will pave the way.

I wasn't aware that knetz also thought the romance subplot in the Glory was unnecessary; this is good news. Channels really care about social medias reception to shows. They'll eventually understand that women stories can sell without having to add a male love interest. Kim Tae-ri's upcoming project (not the devil, the musicals one) won't have a male LI, since it takes place in an all-female musical theater (the Korean version of Takarazuka, if you've heard of them). The webtoon it's based on has LGBTQ themes and two actresses from the Glory have already been casted alongside KTR. So I guess it is something to look forward to next year.
this is actually a very common complaint from knetz. they often complain about unnecessary love lines in their dramas. off the top of my head i can remember everyone knetz and inetz hating on the love line between the secondary characters in the popular drama extraordinary attorney woo. it came out of nowhere made no sense and humanized a scumbag male character. this was the writer's response to the hate. a woman writer. https://www.koreaboo.com/news/extraordi ... n-min-woo/
I was hesitant to give everyone a happy ending but him. So, rather than make him the lone villain, I chose an ending where he makes a practical choice. To be honest, the character doesn’t change 180 degrees. Rather than change, he makes a choice. When in love, people often want to become better people, so I had him fall in love to redeem his character. I received so much criticism for this choice.
oh no that poor man who was the biggest evil jerk the whole drama doesn't get a happy ending. :eyeroll: sorry but i don't trust women who think like this.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 22:22
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
not to be a debbie downer but many of these famous kdrama women writers are unable to let go of their heteronormative brains and can never writer a woman's story that doesn't include a man. like there was no reason to insert a romance into the glory. even knetz who watched said it was so unnecessary but these WOMEN writers can't help themselves.

i'm not even asking for gay romance since that seems like a lost cause but can they for once not insert unnecessary het romances into their stories about women? it is an impossible task for almost all of them.

I absolutely agree with you, that's one of the downsides I see in kdramas, and it'll take a bit of time before those writers (or the EP, because sometimes, the decision to include a male love interest comes from the EP, or the channel itself to boost interest and sell ad slots at a higher price) let go of the traditional framework. Korea is still very conservative, and the women writing those stories are a certain age too, so we have to take this into account. Sadly we can't have everything, we'll always have to put up with stuff we'd rather not have. Maybe the up and coming generation of writers will pave the way.

I wasn't aware that knetz also thought the romance subplot in the Glory was unnecessary; this is good news. Channels really care about social medias reception to shows. They'll eventually understand that women stories can sell without having to add a male love interest. Kim Tae-ri's upcoming project (not the devil, the musicals one) won't have a male LI, since it takes place in an all-female musical theater (the Korean version of Takarazuka, if you've heard of them). The webtoon it's based on has LGBTQ themes and two actresses from the Glory have already been casted alongside KTR. So I guess it is something to look forward to next year.
this is actually a very common complaint from knetz. they often complain about unnecessary love lines in their dramas. off the top of my head i can remember everyone knetz and inetz hating on the love line between the secondary characters in the popular drama extraordinary attorney woo. it came out of nowhere made no sense and humanized a scumbag male character. this was the writer's response to the hate. a woman writer. https://www.koreaboo.com/news/extraordi ... n-min-woo/
I was hesitant to give everyone a happy ending but him. So, rather than make him the lone villain, I chose an ending where he makes a practical choice. To be honest, the character doesn’t change 180 degrees. Rather than change, he makes a choice. When in love, people often want to become better people, so I had him fall in love to redeem his character. I received so much criticism for this choice.
oh no that poor man who was the biggest evil jerk the whole drama doesn't get a happy ending. :eyeroll: sorry but i don't trust women who think like this.
sa

sorry i bolded the wrong part. i meant this part "I wasn't aware that knetz also thought the romance subplot in the Glory was unnecessary"

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 21:44
^
What is the name of the drama? Temptation of wife?
Yes, temptation of wife was the hit that singlehandedly made Kim Seo-hyung's career skyrocket and plummet at the same time. The sad thing is, I don't quite think knetz have changed in the 20+ time it's been out. When the world of the married came out, Han Soo-hee received so much shit because her character was "the other woman". It was her first big break, and thankfully she had a gig just after so that made the audience a little less hostile.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
I was already stanning actresses in their 40's and 50's (hello, Kim Seo-hyung!) but I wasn't expecting Kim Hee-ae and Moon So-ri to alter my brain chemistry the way they did in Queenmaker.
Did we lose the Mine/KSH threads? Anyways, bringing this one back Chaeyun aka dolphin girl is really all of us KSH fangirls :rofl: :heart:
Mine is not lost. It's just one of the fck-ups where a few K threads still appear in the main General Discussions, while others were shelved under the KPOP link.
If a K thread you remember does not appear under the KPOP mish-mash, search for it in the "Google Search ..." box at the top-right corner of the main General Discussions pages.

Mine: Netflix drama with lesbian storyline
https://thelchat.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77384

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 22:25
Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 22:22
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

sa

sorry i bolded the wrong part. i meant this part "I wasn't aware that knetz also thought the romance subplot in the Glory was unnecessary"
That storyline did come out of nowhere, no matter how hard she tries to frame it. It was jarring - and her excuse doesn't even make sense. Thankfully, all K-drama writers don't see things through such a manichean lense. You don't need to make all your characters likeable, look at Kingdom: Ashin of the North, you go from rooting for the female MC to "Uh... Kay aren't you going too far?" in the span of two hours. Is she likeable? Hell no, she descends into (rightful) rage-induced madness, and while you can root for her, her methods are questionable. We're getting more of those grey characters, thankfully (also one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the Devil and to Song Hye-kyo/Han Soo-hee's drama).

Little tangent about Queenmaker: even though both characters have a husband/ex husband (with little screentime, thank God), there's no denying they were written to have a lot of sexual tension between them. The dialog gives it away, their interactions are always loaded. Maybe the original idea was to go there, but they shied away or were told not to be too obvious? I mean, Kim Hee-ae already played a closeted gay woman before (Moonlit Winter) and Moon So-ri used to be Park Chan-wook's muse (+had a small cameo in the handmaiden because he really wanted her to be part of the movie), so it's not like either of them would veto a wlw subplot.

We win some, we lose some.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Just a little memory from pg 12. Image
:bowdown:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 00:48
Nobody Knows is the name of this 2020 Kim Seo-hyung drama.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Anyone know anything about Go Youn Jung? I've been trying to finish Alchemy of Souls and she's pretty cute.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the links, anon. I should have asked if anyone knew any gossip. I know she's been speculated with her co-star as most actresses are.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Like, share and subscribe! Send it to the Knetz or we'll lose the couples.
https://dailyread.substack.com/p/will-t ... s-in-jeong
Will they keep the lesbian couples in Jeong Nyeon (정년이)when the K-drama is made?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 02:37
Thanks for the links, anon. I should have asked if anyone knew any gossip. I know she's been speculated with her co-star as most actresses are.
I think this board should not deteriorate into speculations about actresses. There are other K threads for the "is she gay, bi, closeted" game:

Korean Entertainment Wave
viewtopic.php?t=79098

Korean Entertainment - Part II
viewtopic.php?t=60025

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

With that ending do you think we’ll have Queenmaker season 2?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Finally dropped Vincenzo after seeing episode 6. I can't believe how awful this drama is and it's only getting worse with each episode. Worst Korean drama i have seen.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 12:44
Finally dropped Vincenzo after seeing episode 6. I can't believe how awful this drama is and it's only getting worse with each episode. Worst Korean drama i have seen.
You lasted longer than me. I heard his God awful Italian and dropped after the third episode. Didn't he practice?? Wtf. It was like he wasn't even trying. I get it if it's a one off, but his character is supposed to speak Italian fluently and with less of an accent. Wtf. And I think his wife (the actor) was his Italian coach. Great job, lady. :nervous:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I’m currently watching Queenmaker and i cringe listening to their French. I can barely understand. I thought it was Korean. It’s so funny because they’re supposed to be chaebol who speaks French but if this is the standard chaebol speaks, I’m so not impressed. Saying this as someone who studied french

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 15:33
I’m currently watching Queenmaker and i cringe listening to their French. I can barely understand. I thought it was Korean. It’s so funny because they’re supposed to be chaebol who speaks French but if this is the standard chaebol speaks, I’m so not impressed. Saying this as someone who studied french
I'm the anon who shat on Vincenzo's Italian, and I'm French.

I thought their command of the language was okay once you realize it is French and not Korean :rofl: . Definitely not perfect, I think what throws us off is the intonation/timing of their stops, French is sounds pretty flat/monotonous when you're talking (except if you're asking a question) as you know. Korean has different intonations, they'll put a stress at odd times trying transpose what they do in their language into French.

And obviously they'll be struggling with some words because they just can't get the sounds out properly, since they're not used to making them. At least what they were saying made sense, their French coach didn't use Google translate, like I've seen in some dramas (whatever Song Hye-kyo was saying in that drama a few years ago). The bar is very low :P

Kim Tae-ri in 21,25 has the best French I've heard so far, complete with intonations and liaisons (Je peux vous aider pronounced "z'aider" like we do).

But yeah, they should avoid using foreign languages if they're not comfortable doing it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 15:59
Guest wrote:

I thought their command of the language was okay once you realize it is French and not Korean :rofl: . Definitely not perfect, I think what throws us off is the intonation/timing of their stops, French is sounds pretty flat/monotonous when you're talking (except if you're asking a question) as you know. Korean has different intonations, they'll put a stress at odd times trying transpose what they do in their language into French.

And obviously they'll be struggling with some words because they just can't get the sounds out properly, since they're not used to making them. At least what they were saying made sense, their French coach didn't use Google translate, like I've seen in some dramas (whatever Song Hye-kyo was saying in that drama a few years ago). The bar is very low :P

Kim Tae-ri in 21,25 has the best French I've heard so far, complete with intonations and liaisons (Je peux vous aider pronounced "z'aider" like we do).

But yeah, they should avoid using foreign languages if they're not comfortable doing it.
I think it also depends on the actress. I only started to realise it was French when the Boss Lady speaks. Her French was better. Her henchwoman’s French threw me off.

With that guy and his Italian, we know why his Italian sucks. They were obviously not learning Italian during study hours.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 14:27
Guest wrote:
You lasted longer than me. I heard his God awful Italian and dropped after the third episode. Didn't he practice?? Wtf. It was like he wasn't even trying. I get it if it's a one off, but his character is supposed to speak Italian fluently and with less of an accent. Wtf. And I think his wife (the actor) was his Italian coach. Great job, lady. :nervous:
They should stop writing characters “growing up abroad” with those accents. If the guy was born in Italy, he should be very fluent like a native. But of course this is not real life but at least, make an effort. This reminded me of Mouse. The scientist guy supposedly was raised in UK but his English was stilted and sounded like someone who only knows conversational english.

It annoys me that all these actors that get paid to do their job can’t be bothered. And before I get accused of being western-centric, I’m an Asian who is bilingual who also learnt 2 other European languages. So it’s not an excuse considering they have free tutors.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 15:59
Guest wrote:

Da. Speaking of Kim Tae-ri, her Japanese in the Handmaiden was immaculate. :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 14:27
Guest wrote:
I don't know the language so i had no idea his Italian sucks. The whole drama is horrifically bad. I don't understand why it has so many fans or why it created so many mentally ill delulu shippers. I tried to watch for the actress but gave up.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I tried giving Vincenzo a chance because of the hype. Twice. But I really can’t. Glad to know it sucks

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

How is Queenmaker overall? Is it a must watch?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 17:06
Just started Ep1 and I think it’s gonna be good. Very women-centric so far. All the female characters are diverse in terms of character from the leads to supporting while the men seems few and secondary.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

All my crushes being +40 yo queens

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 17:10
Guest wrote:
Just started Ep1 and I think it’s gonna be good. Very women-centric so far. All the female characters are diverse in terms of character from the leads to supporting while the men seems few and secondary.
SA I don’t know if it’s because it’s only Ep1 and they’re setting up the story, show is sounding anti-feminist. But I’m giving it a chance because it seems too well-produced to make it that cliché. I’ll let you know in a few episodes later

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 21:02
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
SA I don’t know if it’s because it’s only Ep1 and they’re setting up the story, show is sounding anti-feminist. But I’m giving it a chance because it seems too well-produced to make it that cliché. I’ll let you know in a few episodes later
I think it should get bonus points for having Ok Ja-yeon in it as well. She was so good in Mine, played an excellent villan in The Uncanny Counter, and was the best part of that basketball show.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 00:16
Guest wrote:
Mine is not lost. It's just one of the fck-ups where a few K threads still appear in the main General Discussions, while others were shelved under the KPOP link.
If a K thread you remember does not appear under the KPOP mish-mash, search for it in the "Google Search ..." box at the top-right corner of the main General Discussions pages.

Mine: Netflix drama with lesbian storyline
https://thelchat.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77384
Thank you anon :hug:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 07:33
Guest wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 01:44
I know that Kim Hee-ae is popular here, but I'm in love with Mrs. Son. She is the villian that I love to love. :lol: :bowdown:
IKR anon, there I was thinking am I suppose to hate her when she's looking like that :rageblush: . And what is it about lesbians having the same taste even in k-actresses, I swear. =_=
Do you like her? She's the ult villain of villains. Neurotic and deadly, but too damn sexy, I can't help it lol

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 22:49
Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 21:02
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I think it should get bonus points for having Ok Ja-yeon in it as well. She was so good in Mine, played an excellent villan in The Uncanny Counter, and was the best part of that basketball show.
SA ok Yeap I take that back. Just finished Ep 1. It’s good!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Queenmaker OP here. 3 episodes in and it’s great! I think it’s gonna be one of those shows where it will be often mentioned in this thread since the heavy players are all women. I enjoyed it a lot. Highly recommended!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 15:22
Queenmaker OP here. 3 episodes in and it’s great! I think it’s gonna be one of those shows where it will be often mentioned in this thread since the heavy players are all women. I enjoyed it a lot. Highly recommended!
lol I've already finished it. It's a good thing for all the other actresses nominated for the 2023 BAA awards that QM wasn't included, because Kim Hee-ae would have taken her fifth Baeksang. QUEEN.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I really enjoyed Crash Landin On You. Told friends who've discovered K-drama to watch it and they like it, too.

The plot has unexpected turns and the representation about North Korea and its people is insightful. I recommend it. Son Ye-jin is outstanding in it, and the ensemble cast is excellent.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 15:54
Guest wrote:
lol I've already finished it. It's a good thing for all the other actresses nominated for the 2023 BAA awards that QM wasn't included, because Kim Hee-ae would have taken her fifth Baeksang. QUEEN.
Haha that was so fast! Yes!! Others wouldn’t have stand a chance. Also if she’s my teacher or my boss, I would be so attracted to her! Me and my Mommy issues :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 15:54
Guest wrote:
DA maybe she’ll be qualified for next year’s awards instead?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Don’t you girls think this Queenmaker show has homoeroticism moments ? Or is it just me being so gay? Lmao

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

5678 wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 15:03
Guest wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 01:04
Guest wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:10
Kim hieora (Sara) from the glory is such a good actress. Any tea on her ? :lol:
She will be in Jeong Nyeon. The webtoon has several f/f couples.
https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/arti ... 0000338820
Oh nice, I like Kim Hieora too she portrays her crazy artist character so well. She'll probably slay her next role. She reminds me of Sulli...
She has a 10 year career in musical theater so the role in Jeong Nyeon would be perfect for her.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I looked at the Jeong Nyeon webtoon and it seems very lesbian. The main character has a romance with another character and they even kiss towards the end. I saw that the drama will be OTT(it means streaming and not shown on regular TV) so i hope they will keep it gay.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 18:48
Don’t you girls think this Queenmaker show has homoeroticism moments ? Or is it just me being so gay? Lmao
Oh absolutely, and there’s plenty of them without a doubt and its you being gay too!🤣 🤗 The heartbreaking scene when they addressed each other by their full names that’s love in my eyes.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 02:37
Guest wrote:
Oh absolutely, and there’s plenty of them without a doubt and its you being gay too!🤣 🤗 The heartbreaking scene when they addressed each other by their full names that’s love in my eyes.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 20:17
I looked at the Jeong Nyeon webtoon and it seems very lesbian. The main character has a romance with another character and they even kiss towards the end. I saw that the drama will be OTT(it means streaming and not shown on regular TV) so i hope they will keep it gay.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 06:55
Guest wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 20:17
Can you list the couples ?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 23:37

I really enjoyed Crash Landin On You. Told friends who've discovered K-drama to watch it and they like it, too.

The plot has unexpected turns and the representation about North Korea and its people is insightful. I recommend it. Son Ye-jin is outstanding in it, and the ensemble cast is excellent.
I’m kinda hesitant to watch this ‘cause the episodes are too long; 70-80 minutes each.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 08:52
Guest wrote:

I’m kinda hesitant to watch this ‘cause the episodes are too long; 70-80 minutes each.
DA isn’t most Kdrama that long?

it’s a good show if you skip the hetero romantic parts. I find them cringey but that only comes later because they spent first 2/3 being “antis”

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 02:37
Guest wrote:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Queenmaker

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Fucking hell she looks like a drop dead gorgeous supermodel in her 20's.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 08:52
Guest wrote:

:rofl: Oh hon, you've got a wrong expectation about K drama episode run time. Most episode minutes are between 60-70, but some dramas have episodes that are up to 1 hour.

But go right ahead and deprive yourself of a good K drama because you can only sit for 45 or 60 minutes to watch TV episodes.