29 Apr 2023, 01:16
Guest wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 21:05
Guest wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 11:54
Song Hyeko won the baeksang! :dance2:
Is there a video?
da
Thanks anon! I didn't realize the actress who played the villain was also up for an award. She did a great job as well so I'm glad she won. Also, is it just me, or is the actress who played her helper looking kind of cute with the shorter hair and blonde highlights?
DA Yes! it's Kim Hieora and we're going to get more of her (and the actress who played the villain) going forward because their next gig is the drama adaptation of Jung Nyeon a webtoon about a girl (Kim Tae-ri, allegedly) who joins an all female musical theater group in the 1950's. It's gonna be gay as well because the webtoon is gay. They can't straightwash it.

I'm so looking forward to it, Kim Hieora is a trained musical/stage actress, she sings super well. I hope she'll get to showcase more of her skills and get even gayer. Also she's still friends with Park Eun-bin (from their time on Attorney Woo) who won Grand Prize

Reactions:

Re: Korean Dramas

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 02:33
It's gonna be gay as well because the webtoon is gay. They can't straightwash it.
Oh, yes they can. They can to whatever they want. Just like a production can change an original kickass male action character into a kickass female action character, they can exclude anything and everything gay from a script.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 09:12
Guest wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 11:39
What do you think about the Glory ? I am the poster who dropped Vincenzo because it was trash and i don't want to waste hours watching an awful drama again.
Definitely recommend the Glory. It is nothing like Vincenzo, so you don't have to worry. Very solid acting, some plot twists got me like :blinkwide: and the atmosphere, the way they tackled the subject of bullying in a very adult way, and head on... This is one of the best drama of 2022 for sure. It'll make you feel uncomfortable at times, especially in the beginning because the bullying is gripping and heartbreaking. Overall, very strong plot carried by a great cast.

I'm so glad Kim Hieora is getting recognition, she's been working consistently on stage for more than a decade. Knetz discovered her as the North Korean defector in Extraordinary Attorney Woo and she's like, a crazy talented all around performer. My heart broke when she said she got bullied at school because her classmates thought she wasn't fully Korean. It made me see her performance as Sa-ra is in a new perspective.

Anyway w about the Glory, you can disregard the small romance subplot easily. The real focus is revenge.
I just finished watching. I really liked it so i watched it really fast. I also liked Kim Hieora but sadly she didn't have a lot of screen time. I hope she plays one of the gay characters in Jeong Nyeon :fingcross:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 06:50
Guest wrote:
It's gonna be gay as well because the webtoon is gay. They can't straightwash it.
Oh, yes they can. They can to whatever they want. Just like a production can change an original kickass male action character into a kickass female action character, they can exclude anything and everything gay from a script.
The setting itself is literally gay (all female theater group - no man on stage. Women play female and male roles. The main character plays male roles. There's a romance plot they might sweep under the rug but knetz are fighting so that they keep it).

They'd have to change it drastically to even attempt to straightwash it, and in that case, why even bother buying the rights of the webtoon? The webtoon that's very openly gay? The author based the main character on Soo-kee from the Handmaiden.
We'll see what happens I'm pretty confident that they're not going to straightwash it. Are they going to show a kiss? Maybe on stage, otherwise I'm definitely not sure.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 16:55
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
The setting itself is literally gay (all female theater group - no man on stage. Women play female and male roles. The main character plays male roles. There's a romance plot they might sweep under the rug but knetz are fighting so that they keep it).

They'd have to change it drastically to even attempt to straightwash it, and in that case, why even bother buying the rights of the webtoon? The webtoon that's very openly gay? The author based the main character on Soo-kee from the Handmaiden.
We'll see what happens I'm pretty confident that they're not going to straightwash it. Are they going to show a kiss? Maybe on stage, otherwise I'm definitely not sure.
DA They already said the drama will be OTT. They won't air on TV. Netflix already had 2 lesbian characters with kissing scenes the last few months. Kill Boksoon had 15 year old girls kissing.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 17:24
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

DA They already said the drama will be OTT. They won't air on TV. Netflix already had 2 lesbian characters with kissing scenes the last few months. Kill Boksoon had 15 year old girls kissing.
Oh? Do you have a link for that information, I must have missed that. Also: OOT doesn't mean they can go and change the core of the story itself, again otherwise why bother buying the rights to it in the first place if you're going to introduce a male love interest? It'll flop hard if they do that since the people who'll start watching are those familiar with the source material + KTR fans. And so far only actresses have been cast.

It's still too early to say what they are going to do. The drama won't be broadcast until at the very least early '24. It doesn't have a distributor yet, locally or internationally. Casting is still underway. Hell, KTR is still filming her current drama and it's scheduled for June 29. I assume they'd need some kind of preparation too, even minimal, so maybe they'd start shooting around October at the earliest.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:24
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Oh? Do you have a link for that information, I must have missed that. Also: OOT doesn't mean they can go and change the core of the story itself, again otherwise why bother buying the rights to it in the first place if you're going to introduce a male love interest? It'll flop hard if they do that since the people who'll start watching are those familiar with the source material + KTR fans. And so far only actresses have been cast.

It's still too early to say what they are going to do. The drama won't be broadcast until at the very least early '24. It doesn't have a distributor yet, locally or internationally. Casting is still underway. Hell, KTR is still filming her current drama and it's scheduled for June 29. I assume they'd need some kind of preparation too, even minimal, so maybe they'd start shooting around October at the earliest.
OTT means streaming. The drama won't be on regular TV in Korea so this means they can keep everything gay since there won't be any censorship.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:45
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

OTT means streaming. The drama won't be on regular TV in Korea so this means they can keep everything gay since there won't be any censorship.
Oh, I'm sorry! Unfamiliar with the acronym, mea culpa. :hug:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Does anyone else feel queerbaited by duty after school?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 May 2023, 13:37
Why, what do you think was queerbaited?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 May 2023, 20:32
Guest wrote:
Have you seen that series?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 May 2023, 22:17
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Da. I’ve only read some chapters of the webtoon and if I recall correctly

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 May 2023, 01:48
Guest wrote:
02 May 2023, 22:17
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Da. I’ve only read some chapters of the webtoon and if I recall correctly
I can't explain it without spoiling the plot, but something gay is happening between Yeon Bo Ra and No Ae Sol.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 May 2023, 04:08
Guest wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:45
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry! Unfamiliar with the acronym, mea culpa. :hug:
Do you know where we can read it in English ?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Why are people insulting Song Hyekyo's acting skills ? The same fangirls worship male actors who can barely act all the time.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Started watching The Glory this weekend and struggled through the first three episodes before I turned it off. Mind you I don't necessarily care about how brutal the show is at the beginning, it's just that I really could not get into any of the characters. And It really didn't help that they time jump right away to the adult versions when we barely got to know the teen casts that it left me lost and confused who was who. I really do think the show would have benefitted from easing us into the bullying and spending more time to get to know these characters. But as it is all we got was just some kid getting beat up right from the jump.

After struggling to keep up I just turned it off. Another strike against it is Song Hye-Kyo is really not a favorite of mine and one of the main reasons I didn't watch this earlier even though Netflix was shoving it in my face. I have only ever attempted to watch one other show of hers (the one in which she was a CEO in love with a younger guy she met in Cuba) and in that show I found her performance very flat. I thought it was a one off thing but she does the same here and I really can't handle it. The emotionless style of acting I understand but I feel she over does it to the point I really do think she's just sleep walking through these shows.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

What....I mean...HOW???
I sometimes forget how absolutely detached and insensitive kdrama writing can be.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
12 May 2023, 15:56
What....I mean...HOW???
I sometimes forget how absolutely detached and insensitive kdrama writing can be.

This show was so boring and hetero. I dropped it halfway through 1st episode. How did u even watch it?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
What....I mean...HOW???

How this didn't end up on the writing floor is beyond me. Imagine any country outside of Korea making a similar analogy about comfort women, all hell would break loose.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
12 May 2023, 19:10
Guest wrote:
What....I mean...HOW???
This show was so boring and hetero. I dropped it halfway through 1st episode. How did u even watch it?
op/ i didn't, just saw this WILD clip on my timeline

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm watching Queenmaker and wondering If Korean politicians and public figures really are expected to make their children, spouses, etc publicly apologize for expending a lot of money on clothes or whatever and for other 'minor' things.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I was looking forward to it :bigcry:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

nooooooo.......... :bigcry:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 May 2023, 09:41
nooooooo.......... :bigcry:
:rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 May 2023, 08:53
Isn't it even weirder that HSH's agency didn't even know she quit and found out via the news story?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 May 2023, 11:24
Guest wrote:
17 May 2023, 08:53
Isn't it even weirder that HSH's agency didn't even know she quit and found out via the news story?
Well there was no GL confirmed in it..look forward to seeing both on screen in something else soon!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I feel queerbaited :dramaqueen:

Lol joking aside, these two just wont stop

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

They obviously get along and were excited to this project, specially HSH. What was so bad to make them drop it? I'm so curious.
I need to see HSH and SHK together in another project asap :sadangel:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 May 2023, 17:06
They obviously get along and were excited to this project, specially HSH. What was so bad to make them drop it? I'm so curious.
I need to see HSH and SHK together in another project asap :sadangel:
They must have received and read the entire script. If one of the characters was supposed to be obviously gay, or/and there's an undisguised non-het relationship between them, they probably realized it would be detrimental to getting good roles in future K dramas. There's no way they can ignore how homophobic Korean general society is.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I've just finished 8 episodes of Queenmaker.

Kim Hee-Ae's acting is melodramatic and old school. She expresses shock with wide eyes and open mouth. It's as if she's performing in a silent movie. And for a character that at first is depicted as tough, cunning and quick on her feet, she soon becomes easily thrown off balance and is almost floundering.

But Moon So-Ri is another acting story altogether. She has maintained believability in her character. Strong and tough from the start, and strong and tough throughout.

If it wasn't for the series having only 11 episodes, where I can convince myself to reach the finish line, I probably would have quit after ep 5.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Kim Hee-Ae's acting reminds me of this:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 May 2023, 21:09

Kim Hee-Ae's acting is melodramatic and old school. She expresses shock with wide eyes and open mouth. It's as if she's performing in a silent movie. And for a character that at first is depicted as tough, cunning and quick on her feet, she soon becomes easily thrown off balance and is almost floundering.

But Moon So-Ri is another acting story altogether. She has maintained believability in her character. Strong and tough from the start, and strong and tough throughout.

If it wasn't for the series having only 11 episodes, where I can convince myself to reach the finish line, I probably would have quit after ep 5.
I equated it to her face being pulled so tight with plastic surgery that she can no longer emote in a regular manner. Tbh I liked Wave Makers far better than Queenmaker. Would absolutely love a second season of Wave Makers, but if there was a second season of Queenmaker I'd probably skip it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 May 2023, 22:12
Guest wrote:
18 May 2023, 21:09

I equated it to her face being pulled so tight with plastic surgery that she can no longer emote in a regular manner. Tbh I liked Wave Makers far better than Queenmaker. Would absolutely love a second season of Wave Makers, but if there was a second season of Queenmaker I'd probably skip it.
DA, whew finally someone who besides me who loved Wave Makers more than Queenmaker. Even KHA couldn't convinced me to finish this and I quit after 7 episodes. Wave maker on the other hand was way more engaging and kept me entertained to the very end. I would love a second season.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

wave maker isn’t a K-drama tho. Is the Chinese ent thread dead?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 May 2023, 23:41
It's from Taiwan. (Not from PRC China)

Netflix drama review: Wave Makers – Taiwanese election drama by The World Between Us director is an engaging watch that brings up important political issues
26 Apr 2023
https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertai ... ging-watch

da

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean it as a direct comparison since you are correct they are not both kdramas. I just meant that the subject matter of both is very similar (female politicians trying to get elected, behind the scenes drama with the people involved in the campaign, sexual harassment/assault case, etc). I guess I should have said that if you didn't like Queenmaker as much as you were hoping to, try Wave Makers instead.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Any drama that is female led where the het couple isn't staring at eachother for 50% of the show better yet there's wlw subtext?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
20 May 2023, 14:34
Any drama that is female led where the het couple isn't staring at eachother for 50% of the show better yet there's wlw subtext?
If you're asking if there's subtext in Queenmaker -- the answer is no.
They're both straight. One is divorced but has a cordial relationship with her ex, and the other is married to a man who supports her ambitions.
The two women agree to embark on a political campaign (each has her own reason for doing so), they grow to respect each other, and become friends who care about each other -- but there's no lesbian undertones between them at any time. It's a story about the power of women when they join together in pursuit of a mutual goal.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Anyone here seen this 2018 drama with Park Eun-bin? If you have, is it worth watching?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 May 2023, 00:51
Anyone here seen this 2018 drama with Park Eun-bin? If you have, is it worth watching?
Forgot to say its name: The Ghost Detective

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Could you also mention the streaming platform where we can watch your recommended k-dramas? :heart:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
20 May 2023, 14:34
Duty after school

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 May 2023, 02:30
Could you also mention the streaming platform where we can watch your recommended k-dramas? :heart:
Netflix
Prime Video
Viki
Kocowa
AsianCrush
Tubi

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 May 2023, 02:09
Guest wrote:
It's from Taiwan. (Not from PRC China)

Netflix drama review: Wave Makers – Taiwanese election drama by The World Between Us director is an engaging watch that brings up important political issues
26 Apr 2023
https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertai ... ging-watch

da
There's a thread for Wave Makers now: https://thelchat.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=81519

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 May 2023, 03:31
Guest wrote:
21 May 2023, 02:30
Netflix
Prime Video
Viki
Kocowa
AsianCrush
Tubi
I mean for example:
Queenmaker - Netflix
The Glory - Netflix
Duty After School - Viu
Reborn Rich - Viu

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Started Coffee Prince because I heard it’s Moonbyul’s favorite drama.
I’m still at ep 3, but I already hate it.
I can’t pinpoint what exactly is insufferable, but I just can’t bring myself to go on..

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm watching Sell Your Haunted House. I'm 5 episodes into it and still want to continue watching.
Jang Na-ra is easy on the eyes. ^_^

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Jang Na-ra has a new drama on Disney+

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 00:34
Guest wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 08:52
Guest wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 23:37
I really enjoyed Crash Landin On You. Told friends who've discovered K-drama to watch it and they like it, too.

The plot has unexpected turns and the representation about North Korea and its people is insightful. I recommend it. Son Ye-jin is outstanding in it, and the ensemble cast is excellent.
I’m kinda hesitant to watch this ‘cause the episodes are too long; 70-80 minutes each.
:rofl: Oh hon, you've got a wrong expectation about K drama episode run time. Most episode minutes are between 60-70, but some dramas have episodes that are up to 1 hour.

But go right ahead and deprive yourself of a good K drama because you can only sit for 45 or 60 minutes to watch TV episodes.
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with preferring to watch shows with shorter episodes since not all of us are unemployed and have the luxury to devote several hours on a tv show. Everyone has the right to choose what show they can and can’t watch.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 May 2023, 04:31
I'm watching Sell Your Haunted House. I'm 5 episodes into it and still want to continue watching.
Jang Na-ra is easy on the eyes. ^_^
Finished. Enjoyed this one. Her character remains front and center throughout every episode. No het "relationship" other than the kissless, sexless, platonic relationship between exorcist Hong (Jang Na-ra) and psychic In-beom (Jung Yong-hwa), who join together as a team exorcising spirits from haunted properties. The main relationship is Hong's with her dead mother, whose troubled and voiceless spirit has lingered close to Hong for 20 years.

A grab the popcorn, sit down, and relax series to spend some entertaining time with.