Re: Korean Dramas

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 00:34
Guest wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 08:52
Guest wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 23:37
I really enjoyed Crash Landin On You. Told friends who've discovered K-drama to watch it and they like it, too.

The plot has unexpected turns and the representation about North Korea and its people is insightful. I recommend it. Son Ye-jin is outstanding in it, and the ensemble cast is excellent.
I’m kinda hesitant to watch this ‘cause the episodes are too long; 70-80 minutes each.
:rofl: Oh hon, you've got a wrong expectation about K drama episode run time. Most episode minutes are between 60-70, but some dramas have episodes that are
more than 1 hour.

But go right ahead and deprive yourself of a good K drama because you can only sit for 45 or 60 minutes to watch TV episodes.
(Typed too fast.)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I really enjoyed Crash Landin On You. Told friends who've discovered K-drama to watch it and they like it, too.

The plot has unexpected turns and the representation about North Korea and its people is insightful. I recommend it. Son Ye-jin is outstanding in it, and the ensemble cast is excellent.
I’m kinda hesitant to watch this ‘cause the episodes are too long; 70-80 minutes each.
:rofl: Oh hon, you've got a wrong expectation about K drama episode run time. Most episode minutes are between 60-70, but some dramas have episodes that are up to 1 hour.

But go right ahead and deprive yourself of a good K drama because you can only sit for 45 or 60 minutes to watch TV episodes.
What’s with the argumentative tone? I only said I’m hesitant to watch it because of the length I didn’t say that I’m 100% going to skip this drama. And yeah, I’m okay with 60-70 minutes per episode, maybe one or two episodes with 80 minutes is fine with me too but I’m not sure with multiple episodes with almost or around 80 minutes each.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 05:17
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

:rofl: Oh hon, you've got a wrong expectation about K drama episode run time. Most episode minutes are between 60-70, but some dramas have episodes that are up to 1 hour.

What’s with the argumentative tone? I only said I’m hesitant to watch it because of the length I didn’t say that I’m 100% going to skip this drama. And yeah, I’m okay with 60-70 minutes per episode, maybe one or two episodes with 80 minutes is fine with me too but I’m not sure with multiple episodes with almost or around 80 minutes each.
Ignore that anon. CLOY is highly rec.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

What do you think about the Glory ? I am the poster who dropped Vincenzo because it was trash and i don't want to waste hours watching an awful drama again.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 11:39
What do you think about the Glory ? I am the poster who dropped Vincenzo because it was trash and i don't want to waste hours watching an awful drama again.
I really liked it. I thought the acting was great. At times it's uncomfortable, funny, sad, endearing, violent, and edgy. I think for a kdrama to be all of those things at once is rare. It's also not your typical kdrama as there is a whole lot of vulgar language, a few sex scenes, drugs, and nudity. It does have a small romance subplot, but it's so unnecessary that you can pretty much just ignore it. IMO it's significantly better than Vincenzo.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

What i liked most about this kdrama is how they showed that Seo Dan doesnt need another man to be fulfilled in her life. She already met her soulmate and that was enough, and she went on to do what she loves and have a solid career.

Also, Yoon Seri's beauty line she created in honor of her North Korean friends is called "saudade" which means yearning for people who arent there with you and it fits so much in their situation since she wont be able to see her North Korean friends again.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 09:12
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

DA isn’t most Kdrama that long?

it’s a good show if you skip the hetero romantic parts. I find them cringey but that only comes later because they spent first 2/3 being “antis”
Some of the series I've watched. The following are their minutes from shortest to longest episode:

Abyss = 59 to 69 minutes
Alchemy of Souls = 70 to 87
Black = 01:09 to 01:31
Chicago Typewriter = 59 to 77
Crash Landing on You = 71 to 01:13
Extraordinary Attorney Woo = 65 to 84
Flower of Evil = 61 to 79
The Ghost Detective = 70 (each episode was broadcast as two parts, 35 min each part)
The Glory = 47 to 71
Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha = 70 to 87
Hotel Del Luna = 74 to 94
Hyena = 61 to 64
The King: Eternal Monarch = 71 to 81
The King's Affection = 65 to 70
The Legend of the Blue Sea = 58 to 01:09
Little Women = 67 to 82
Live Up To Your Name = 65 to 83
Mine = 66 to 81
Pachinko = 47 to 01:03
Queen Seondeok = 01:03
Rookie Historian Goo Hae-ryung = 63 to 68
Sell Your Haunted House = 59 to 01:07
Signal = 64 to 88
Sky Castle = 60 to 84
Stranger = 63 to 86
Tomorrow = 58 to 64
The Uncanny Counter = 57 to 71
Under the Queen's Umbrella = 65 to 73

Yup. I have too much time on my hands. :rimshot:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 11:39
Definitely recommend the Glory. It is nothing like Vincenzo, so you don't have to worry. Very solid acting, some plot twists got me like :blinkwide: and the atmosphere, the way they tackled the subject of bullying in a very adult way, and head on... This is one of the best drama of 2022 for sure. It'll make you feel uncomfortable at times, especially in the beginning because the bullying is gripping and heartbreaking. Overall, very strong plot carried by a great cast.

I'm so glad Kim Hieora is getting recognition, she's been working consistently on stage for more than a decade. Knetz discovered her as the North Korean defector in Extraordinary Attorney Woo and she's like, a crazy talented all around performer. My heart broke when she said she got bullied at school because her classmates thought she wasn't fully Korean. It made me see her performance as Sa-ra is in a new perspective.

Anyway w about the Glory, you can disregard the small romance subplot easily. The real focus is revenge.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I don't know how they manage to make Kim Hee-ae's outfit gayer and stylish in every episode of Queenmaker but I'm here for it. I'm at episode 8 right now and I'm loving the intrigue but I have a hard time focusing when she or Moon So-ri are on screen :heart:
My gay ass stanning actresses in their 50's.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 12:39
Guest wrote:

What i liked most about this kdrama is how they showed that Seo Dan doesnt need another man to be fulfilled in her life. She already met her soulmate and that was enough, and she went on to do what she loves and have a solid career.

Also, Yoon Seri's beauty line she created in honor of her North Korean friends is called "saudade" which means yearning for people who arent there with you and it fits so much in their situation since she wont be able to see her North Korean friends again.
I wasn't a K-drama buff ... until I saw 'Crash Landing On You'
17 Apr 2020
https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/en ... -on-you039

da

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 03:36
I hope all these foreign investments will help to increase progress. I like to believe that they know the international eyes are on them and that's why they passed the law on minors in entertainment recently even though it was named after an actor. Hopefully, the normalization of hatred towards women and minorities will be reduced

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 02:42
I don't know how they manage to make Kim Hee-ae's outfit gayer and stylish in every episode of Queenmaker but I'm here for it. I'm at episode 8 right now and I'm loving the intrigue but I have a hard time focusing when she or Moon So-ri are on screen :heart:
Lol yeah Love what she wears. I am not a fan of her excessive crying/emotions but damn she makes it look good when she dresses like that. I was not into her in The World of Married but the difference in clothing and demeanour definitely helps in attracting lesbians in Queenmaker

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Wait a minute, Moon So-ri is not 50 yet, so you're all right anon :lol: But fr, you and me both, I'm still not over the chairwoman!
This pic :goldstar:

also, the former mayor is attractive too! Damn this show :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 14:28
Guest wrote:
Wait a minute, Moon So-ri is not 50 yet, so you're all right anon :lol: But fr, you and me both, I'm still not over the chairwoman!

DA saw Minjung normal pic and she was kinda hot? Lol

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 15:20
Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 14:28
Guest wrote:

DA saw Minjung normal pic and she was kinda hot? Lol
ikr? She's one of those k actresses that look more attractive in short hair like Jeon Yeo-been :$

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

ikr? She's one of those k actresses that look more attractive in short hair like Jeon Yeo-been :$
She has such a slappable face as the evil character. After seeing her real pic, she gave me confused arousal :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 18:56

She has such a slappable face as the evil character. After seeing her real pic, she gave me confused arousal :lol:
SA I actually think she’s more attractive in longer hair.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 18:59
Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 18:56

SA I actually think she’s more attractive in longer hair.
Can you post a pic pls?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

^
Her long hair in 2020

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Im watching Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo and wtf is this? Why is it always in the list of highly recommended dramas? It's boring as fuck, the storyline is dragging, there are no heart fluttering moments, here comes the ditzy girl and annoying man combo again. 16 episodes is so unnecessary for a show that doesnt really have anything at all, 12 episodes is enough

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 19:59
^
Her long hair in 2020

Holy shit.. she’s so intimidating 🥵 pls allow me to get behind you in the line🤣
Thanks for posting Anon🤗

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 00:32
Guest wrote:
^
Her long hair in 2020

Thanks for posting Anon🤗
Lol! Her hair is short, you can have her. For now. :lol: return her to me when she grows it out

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 21:54
Im watching Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo and wtf is this? Why is it always in the list of highly recommended dramas? It's boring as fuck, the storyline is dragging, there are no heart fluttering moments, here comes the ditzy girl and annoying man combo again. 16 episodes is so unnecessary for a show that doesnt really have anything at all, 12 episodes is enough
Well you can't trust the average Kdrama fan for recommendations. Many of the most popular/high rated dramas are very boring to me.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
K-Drama fans have been keeping them afloat and most K-dramas are expected to just have one season which seems to be their preference since they’ve been canceling many of their western shows after only one season

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 01:41
Guest wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 00:32
Guest wrote:
^
Her long hair in 2020

Thanks for posting Anon🤗
Lol! Her hair is short, you can have her. For now. :lol: return her to me when she grows it out
Okay, sounds good. thank you for being kind ☺️

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So far I’m happy that most Kdramas are just one season but I will make exception for Taxi Driver. That show can do multi seasons and it highlights the crimes that their society prefers not to talk about.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 12:34
So far I’m happy that most Kdramas are just one season but I will make exception for Taxi Driver. That show can do multi seasons and it highlights the crimes that their society prefers not to talk about.
x2, I'm glad that they did an episode on the burning sun scandal. I wont even mention his name, but that fucker deserves more than hell for what he did.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 10:08
Guest wrote:
K-Drama fans have been keeping them afloat and most K-dramas are expected to just have one season which seems to be their preference since they’ve been canceling many of their western shows after only one season
What an idiotic thing to say. The Crown is not a K-drama series, neither is Stranger Things, Bridgerton, The Witcher, Ozark, You, Emily in Paris, Wednesday, or Ginny & Georgia. Netflix also earns beaucoup viewership with its movies.

One-season K-dramas existed before Netflix had K-dramas. Video streaming site Viki started in 2010 and Kocowa in 2016 -- go take a look at the K-dramas they have and see how many of them you can find that have more than one season. Netflix signed on to produce its first original K-drama, Love Alarm, in 2017, but production was delayed and it was released in August 2019; which made Kingdom, released in January 2019, its first official K-drama production.

Although Netflix's deal as a K-drama distributor began in 2018, it wasn't until 2020 that Netflix went big with K-drama, when it struck a deal with Studio Dragon and Jcontentree to produce 21 original K-dramas.

If you bothered to find out information about K-dramas before Netflix got into the K game, you'd learn that most of them are one-season only. For example: Air City (2007), Beethoven Virus (2008), Chicago Typewriter (2016), Dream High (2011), Ex-Girlfriends' Club (2015), Friend, Our Legend (2009), Good Doctor (2013), Heart to Heart (2015), Ice Girl (2005), Joseon X-Files (2010), Korean Peninsula (2012), Life on Mars (2018), More Than a Maid (2015), Nine (2013), Oh My Ghost (2015), Painter of the Wind (2008), Queen and I (2012), Radio Romance (2018), Signal (2016), That Winter, the Wind Blows (2013), Untouchable (2017), Working Mom (2008), Yeonnam-dong 539 (2018).

How does that old saying go? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 23:03
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
What an idiotic thing to say. The Crown is not a K-drama series, neither is Stranger Things, Bridgerton, The Witcher, Ozark, You, Emily in Paris, Wednesday, or Ginny & Georgia. Netflix also earns beaucoup viewership with its movies.

One-season K-dramas existed before Netflix had K-dramas. Video streaming site Viki started in 2010 and Kocowa in 2016 -- go take a look at the K-dramas they have and see how many of them you can find that have more than one season. Netflix signed on to produce its first original K-drama, Love Alarm, in 2017, but production was delayed and it was released in August 2019; which made Kingdom, released in January 2019, its first official K-drama production.

Although Netflix's deal as a K-drama distributor began in 2018, it wasn't until 2020 that Netflix went big with K-drama, when it struck a deal with Studio Dragon and Jcontentree to produce 21 original K-dramas.

If you bothered to find out information about K-dramas before Netflix got into the K game, you'd learn that most of them are one-season only. For example: Air City (2007), Beethoven Virus (2008), Chicago Typewriter (2016), Dream High (2011), Ex-Girlfriends' Club (2015), Friend, Our Legend (2009), Good Doctor (2013), Heart to Heart (2015), Ice Girl (2005), Joseon X-Files (2010), Korean Peninsula (2012), Life on Mars (2018), More Than a Maid (2015), Nine (2013), Oh My Ghost (2015), Painter of the Wind (2008), Queen and I (2012), Radio Romance (2018), Signal (2016), That Winter, the Wind Blows (2013), Untouchable (2017), Working Mom (2008), Yeonnam-dong 539 (2018).

How does that old saying go? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
da. Dang Anon, thanks for the kdrama/Netflix history lesson. :giveup: I’ve been meaning to watch Chicago typewriter, but I read that it’s pretty sad so I’m not ready to cry my eyes out like I did with Mr. Sunshine. ngl That drama ruined me for awhile, especially Kudo Hina’s death.😭

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Okay, so I’m so sorry for being wrong and for offending you. So I guess there’s no doubt that I’m a fool because my knowledge about Netflix and K-Drama is very limited.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

DA
Geez, you need to unclench. The idea that kdramas are helping netflix stay alive is actually a popular opinion. Can you imagine what netflix would be like today without the Korean shows in its library? Besides, even if you don’t agree with that view, you can express your point without being condescending. If you think you sound superior in your post because you know more about kdrama, well, I’ve got news for you: you don’t. If anything, it just made you seem like a jerk.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

DA Netflix actually helped Kdramas and their actors to become more famous and popular worldwide. Especially after Squid Game.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Think of it this way: in professional sports, teams offer bigger contracts on players who are high demand and have crucial contributions to their team’s or their previous teams’ success.

Netflix not willing to spend money to continue the series of A-list Hollywood director David Fincher but doesn’t think twice on investing $2.3 billion on K-Content says a lot.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Song Hyeko won the baeksang! :dance2:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 10:56
Think of it this way: in professional sports, teams offer bigger contracts on players who are high demand and have crucial contributions to their team’s or their previous teams’ success.

Netflix not willing to spend money to continue the series of A-list Hollywood director David Fincher but doesn’t think twice on investing $2.3 billion on K-Content says a lot.
Mindhunter is my fav and I think one of Netflix’s best but it doesn’t have the audience. It’s not the kind of show that one binges. Netflix is just impatient. I know people who renew Netflix just for mindhunter.

I find myself that I’m more forgiving of K-content than usual American fare. I’m willing to give a Korean show a chance while something like Heartstopper or Warrior Nun doesn’t even appeal to me. It doesn’t meant those shows suck just that I know with most Kdramas it’s one-season show with less investment. And with multiple Kdrama seasons, it’s because they’re guaranteed to be good. Can’t say the same with their American shows.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I swear people come to LChat just to rant and be awful to strangers. Maybe they’re just unhappy in life, Anon

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 14:27
Guest wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 12:44
Finally dropped Vincenzo after seeing episode 6. I can't believe how awful this drama is and it's only getting worse with each episode. Worst Korean drama i have seen.
You lasted longer than me. I heard his God awful Italian and dropped after the third episode. Didn't he practice?? Wtf. It was like he wasn't even trying. I get it if it's a one off, but his character is supposed to speak Italian fluently and with less of an accent. Wtf. And I think his wife (the actor) was his Italian coach. Great job, lady. :nervous:
The top comments on videos of him speaking Italian say stuff like '' I am Italian and he is impressive''. What's up with that ? :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 12:58
I swear people come to LChat just to rant and be awful to strangers. Maybe they’re just unhappy in life, Anon
DA- yeah, but don’t forget the nice ones too. :hug:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 09:24
DA
Geez, you need to unclench. The idea that kdramas are helping netflix stay alive is actually a popular opinion. Can you imagine what netflix would be like today without the Korean shows in its library? Besides, even if you don’t agree with that view, you can express your point without being condescending. If you think you sound superior in your post because you know more about kdrama, well, I’ve got news for you: you don’t. If anything, it just made you seem like a jerk.
A popular opinion among some K drama fans maybe, but millions of people don't watch K dramas, no matter who has them. All streaming companies are making major changes and decisions that fans of many shows don't like. HBOMax, for instance, has cancelled series and movies, and has even removed HBO produced programs from its catalog. Netflix is investing in Korean shows because they cost a lot less to produce than North American and European shows, but Netflix is also the reason for Korean dramas becoming popular outside of Korea and East Asia.

da

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 11:54
Is there a video?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 21:05
Guest wrote:
Is there a video?
da

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

:wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 01:16
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Is there a video?
da
Thanks anon! I didn't realize the actress who played the villain was also up for an award. She did a great job as well so I'm glad she won. Also, is it just me, or is the actress who played her helper looking kind of cute with the shorter hair and blonde highlights?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 01:23
:wub:
I thought it was cute that she was so emotional about it. Always happy to see talented actresses being recognized.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:17
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Is there a video?
da
Thanks anon! I didn't realize the actress who played the villain was also up for an award. She did a great job as well so I'm glad she won. Also, is it just me, or is the actress who played her helper looking kind of cute with the shorter hair and blonde highlights?
no worries. I think the entire Glory cast could have been up for all the awards lol like Kim Hieora (Sa-ra, the artist/drug addict)and Ms. Kang (the helper) should have nominated for supporting actress, and yeah I thought that as well, she does pretty in that look. It must be some kinda ajumma power! :lol:
It's a small moment here, but I loved the fact she turned around to watch Park Eunbin.
Women supporting women :heart:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

imo, She's a great actress and deserves more love and recognition. Her role as a god of hell in Mystic Bar pop bar was hilarious.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 15:39
Guest wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:17
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Is there a video?
da
no worries. I think the entire Glory cast could have been up for all the awards lol like Kim Hieora (Sa-ra, the artist/drug addict)and Ms. Kang (the helper) should have nominated for supporting actress, and yeah I thought that as well, she does pretty in that look. It must be some kinda ajumma power! :lol:
It's a small moment here, but I loved the fact she turned around to watch Park Eunbin.
Women supporting women :heart:
DA The helper was nominated for best supporting actress but lost to Lim Ji-yeon(the villain). Kim Hieora was nominated in the best new actress category but lost too.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 16:11
imo, She's a great actress and deserves more love and recognition. Her role as a god of hell in Mystic Bar pop bar was hilarious.
Agree she is great. But she was already a well-regarded actress before The Glory and with multiple Baeksang noms and a win as well.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

DA The helper was nominated for best supporting actress but lost to Lim Ji-yeon(the villain). Kim Hieora was nominated in the best new actress category but lost too.
Thanks!

Has anyone seen Penthouse 1, 2, and 3? lol, I don't know if I can watch 3 seasons, but if it's good maybe I'll give it a shot.