Reactions:

Re: Korean Dramas

Post by Guest »

FYI (Sentry is a moderator):
Sentry wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 02:44
Guest wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 02:34
I remember that zetaboards TLC did so, but does this TLC enforce that it is an English-language board and posts need to be in English?
Yes.
https://thelchat.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p5325586

RXD
Reactions: 66

Post by RXD »

Text posts have to be in English, there's nothing in the rules about bringing other language tweets here and having to translate them here. Twitter has a translate function you can use.
1 Image

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Which two actresses would you love to play your dream couple in a lesbian movie?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 12:49
Which two actresses would you love to play your dream couple in a lesbian movie?
Kim Hyunjoo and Kim Heesun.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Jeon Yeobeen with Han So Hee
Jeon Yeobeen with Lee Joo young

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

RXD wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 09:59
Text posts have to be in English, there's nothing in the rules about bringing other language tweets here and having to translate them here. Twitter has a translate function you can use.
Fine. I lifted the weight for the translation. It says this: " the main characters of the highly anticipated Netflix series #퀸메이커 "

What does 퀸메이커 translate as?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 13:18
Guest wrote:
Choo Ja-Hyun and Jung So-min :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 19:16
Guest wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 02:55
Guest wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 02:59
Guest wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 23:19
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 20:07
Add me to the list of anons here thirsting over Korean actresses over 40 . She's a goddess jfc
I don't watch a lot of KDrama but those that I watch then to always have older leads. KHA is far and away my favorite actress so when I saw this trailer I couldn't press the notify button fast enough.

Speaking of older actresses, I just watched Kill Boksoon and I really liked it. I feel like it could have been a limited series if they wanted to. Was this supposed to be inspired by Kill Bill?
I've seen Kill Boksoon, too. I've also seen Kill Bill vols 1 and 2. To me, the only thing you can say the two have in common is the main character being an ass-kicking assassin, but everything else about their stories is different.
You are probably right. I think it's more likely that when I was watching I was hoping that it was the direction they were going to go in but they never did. I feel like the show had the opportunity to be great but never really did take that final step. For me the motivation for going after the chairman and his sister just didn't make much sense so the end fell flat.
DA

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 18:31
RXD wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 09:59
Fine. I lifted the weight for the translation. It says this: " the main characters of the highly anticipated Netflix series #퀸메이커 "

What does 퀸메이커 translate as?
Queenmaker. Name of the show.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 21:45
Guest wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 13:18
Guest wrote:
Choo Ja-Hyun and Jung So-min :wub:
Choo Jahyun :wub: For me she could play a couple with any Korean actress and I’d feel pleased.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 18:23
Guest wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 03:37
Is Itaewon Class worth watching ?
There's a trans character and a black Korean... it's another rags to riches story with a touch of diversity.
I watched the first 10 episodes (it's the second kdrama i am watching). The diversity characters hardly have any scenes and just stand on the background. Overall it's an ok drama, definitely much better than the first Kdrama i watched.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Who do you think will take home the top prize?
Best Actress
Kim Ji Won – JTBC “My Liberation Notes”
Kim Hye Soo – tvN “Under the Queen’s Umbrella”
Park Eun Bin – ENA “Extraordinary Attorney Woo”
Song Hye Kyo – Netflix “The Glory”
Suzy – Coupang Play “Anna”

I think Park Eun Bin will win it, but Song Hye Kyo is my favorite. ^_^

Windstruck
Reactions: 5

Post by Windstruck »

Guest wrote:
09 Apr 2023, 22:01
Best Actress

Song Hye Kyo was good in Glory but yes I agree, I think Park Eun Bin will win. I can't wait for season 2. 👍
1 Image

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Apr 2023, 18:22
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
There's a trans character and a black Korean... it's another rags to riches story with a touch of diversity.
I watched the first 10 episodes (it's the second kdrama i am watching). The diversity characters hardly have any scenes and just stand on the background. Overall it's an ok drama, definitely much better than the first Kdrama i watched.
DA
What’s the first K-Drama you watched?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Best Actress

I’m rooting for Song Hyeko, because there’s this narrative on social media that she can’t act.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2023, 09:59
Guest wrote:
Best Actress

I’m rooting for Song Hyeko, because there’s this narrative on social media that she can’t act.
I think Song Hye Kyo showed the most range in The Glory so she should win. But don't they usually like to award the period dramas over other types of shows?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2023, 10:17
Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2023, 09:59
Guest wrote:
Best Actress

I think Song Hye Kyo showed the most range in The Glory so she should win. But don't they usually like to award the period dramas over other types of shows?
Not really when you look at the recent winners. I think they’ll give it to Park Eunbin this year, but like I said I’m still rooting for Song Hyeko.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

It's Pale Moon day!!!!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2023, 08:12
Guest wrote:
09 Apr 2023, 18:22
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA
What’s the first K-Drama you watched?
I watched a kdrama called Dream High because they showed it where i live for some reason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_High
It was really awful but i liked some songs. I was surprised to see that the actors in this are famous now since they could barely act at all.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Anyone else super frustrated about the wasted potential in Kdramas caused by Korea's homophobia? Lmao, I'm tired of starting a new kdrama, seeing two actresses I like having great chemestry but knowing for a fact they'll end up with men. At least when we watch western dramas I know there's a decent chance of seeing to women in love, but it's not as compelling and romantic as the Kdrama girlies would certainly look together :dramaqueen:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:10
Kim hieora (Sara) from the glory is such a good actress. Any tea on her ? :lol:
She will be in Jeong Nyeon. The webtoon has several f/f couples.
https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/arti ... 0000338820

Windstruck
Reactions: 5

Post by Windstruck »

Guest wrote:
10 Apr 2023, 16:58
Anyone else super frustrated about the wasted potential in Kdramas caused by Korea's homophobia? Lmao, I'm tired of starting a new kdrama, seeing two actresses I like having great chemestry but knowing for a fact they'll end up with men. At least when we watch western dramas I know there's a decent chance of seeing to women in love, but it's not as compelling and romantic as the Kdrama girlies would certainly look together :dramaqueen:
WWW was one great example. I love Scarlet (LDH). The body grabbing was the classic trope move and that couple didn't happen. 🙄

Reactions:

Post by 5678 »

Guest wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 01:04
Guest wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:10
Kim hieora (Sara) from the glory is such a good actress. Any tea on her ? :lol:
She will be in Jeong Nyeon. The webtoon has several f/f couples.
https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/arti ... 0000338820
Oh nice, I like Kim Hieora too she portrays her crazy artist character so well. She'll probably slay her next role. She reminds me of Sulli...

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 03:57
Guest wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 00:38
Guest wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 23:07
Guest wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 19:16
Guest wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 06:33

I agree with your analysis! The part with the van had very strong closet/romantic/first crush overtones.

I just came here to comment, thought, that Nana shoots gay energy from her eyes. She has a very strong 'flirting with women energy'
So is it worth watching? I've only just started and finished episode 1 and it picked my interest. I was a little discouraged at first though by the fact nobody in here talked positively about it despite what the creators have insinuated.
I enjoyed it a lot. Would recommend! I think people take kdramas way too seriously sometimes which is what you see in this thread. I mean it's a show about people obsessed with aliens. It's pretty lighthearted and weird (in what I think is a good way). Just don't go into expecting handmaiden 2.0 and I think you'll enjoy it just fine!
I really enjoyed it as well! It can be funny and weird but it can also be related to a heavy context. Even my sister is saying their girlfriends. I hate how people are just basing sapphic content with kisses or physical touch and without that, it cannot be considered as such.

Anyways I think it didn't reach as many viewers because it didn't have a leading male? Since 70% of kdrama viewers are actually females.
One should never expect a Kdrama with a lesbian couple that is intimate with each other. Not anytime soon anyway. That only happens in Korean movies. Netflix does push it a bit further but the focus is still on the Korean market and it shows.

I thought it was made pretty clear that the boyfriend was only used as a plot device to tell us how gay the lead really is. I am sure they threw a lot of straights for a loop with that "twist". Anyone who still can't read the "deeper" meaning after watching all the episodes is either dense or dumb.

I do dislike JYB's interviews. Her answers are a bit abstract at times and she tries to make it seem like she gives a lot away while she really doesn't. It's obvious that both she and Nana know about the sexuality of the characters, even the director spoke openly about it. And yet... In her interviews she doesn't adres it head on or says it's up for interpretation. She did the same while promoting After my death (though I'll let that slip cause it was her first big movie).
You're good friends with Lee Joo-Young and Jeon So-Nee for Christ sake. Give the gays what we want. :rofl:
Kill Boksoon and Somebody were on netflix and showed lesbian stuff. I guess they didn't make it more explicit in Glitch because they were the main characters and that's too much for Korea.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Queenmaker is now available to stream

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 11:43
Queenmaker is now available to stream
Thank you, I'll watch it tonight. Sorry for ot, but how do I address a Korean woman who is more than twice my age? For example, if I ever meet and fall in love with a woman like Kim Hee ah or Moon So-ri, do I address her as unnie or ajumma? :$
tia

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

is there anything actually gay in queenmaker? or is it just face touches and really close talking?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 19:31
is there anything actually gay in queenmaker? or is it just face touches and really close talking?
Considering how subtext is the main ingredient and overarching theme here in discussions about a K-drama, the answer is:

:zaza:
:ghost:
:schlick:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

fucking true :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I started watching Vincenzo and it's very boring so far. I find the main actress really attractive but that's not enough to keep watching. The episodes are over 80 minutes. I wonder why this drama is so popular. Does it get better after episode 3 ?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I know that Kim Hee-ae is popular here, but I'm in love with Mrs. Son. She is the villian that I love to love. :lol: :bowdown:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
16 Apr 2023, 23:00
I started watching Vincenzo and it's very boring so far. I find the main actress really attractive but that's not enough to keep watching. The episodes are over 80 minutes. I wonder why this drama is so popular. Does it get better after episode 3 ?
I watched the first 3, then skipped to the last just to see how it all turned out. Other than Jeon Yeo-been, I saw nothing about Vincenzo worth sitting through. But she wasn't enough to make me watch 20 eps.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 01:44
I know that Kim Hee-ae is popular here, but I'm in love with Mrs. Son. She is the villian that I love to love. :lol: :bowdown:
IKR anon, there I was thinking am I suppose to hate her when she's looking like that :rageblush: . And what is it about lesbians having the same taste even in k-actresses, I swear. =_=

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
I haven’t watched it yet because yeah, the episodes are too long lol. I’m guessing it became popular cause of the mafia theme in a K-Drama setting?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 02:46
Guest wrote:
I watched the first 3, then skipped to the last just to see how it all turned out. Other than Jeon Yeo-been, I saw nothing about Vincenzo worth sitting through. But she wasn't enough to make me watch 20 eps.
The first 3 episodes are very boring with annoying characters and unfunny scenes. I will watch a few more to see if it gets better. The only thing i like about this drama is Jeon Yeo-been. Also the actor playing Vincenzo looks very young and feminine, are we supposed to believe that he is a big thing in the Italian Mafia ?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Can anyone recommend me a good korean drama that doesn't focus on romance (I'm also not much into period dramas), I would love some thriller or crime story...

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 18:33
Can anyone recommend me a good korean drama that doesn't focus on romance (I'm also not much into period dramas), I would love some thriller or crime story...
Not in any particular order, but I enjoyed these dramas
1- Save me
2- Sky Castle
3- Signal
4- Taxi Driver 1 and 2, season 3 has been confirmed!!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Queenmaker is really doubling down on the subtext and it's KILLING ME. I just watched the scene where the attorney calls Do-hee a smooth talker and how her tongue will get her into trouble. And Do-hee says "If I can convince you with my tongue" I'm-- :shifty: :rage: :rage:

This show is taking over my mind. I *hope* fic writers will do their magic thing and bring those two together because holy shit, the tension. Kdrama won't go there, but they sure as hell love to tease. I'm so glad to see Kim Hee-ae back on my screen.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 20:08
Guest wrote:
Not in any particular order, but I enjoyed these dramas
1- Save me
2- Sky Castle
3- Signal
4- Taxi Driver 1 and 2, season 3 has been confirmed!!
Thank you! I'll add them to my list, think I'll begin with Signal because Kim Hye Soo is in it :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 22:34
Queenmaker is really doubling down on the subtext and it's KILLING ME. I just watched the scene where the attorney calls Do-hee a smooth talker and how her tongue will get her into trouble. And Do-hee says "If I can convince you with my tongue" I'm-- :shifty: :rage: :rage:

This show is taking over my mind. I *hope* fic writers will do their magic thing and bring those two together because holy shit, the tension. Kdrama won't go there, but they sure as hell love to tease. I'm so glad to see Kim Hee-ae back on my screen.
I hear you anon, you and me both. Love their chemistry makes me want to ship them help! :lol:
Moon So-ri's jawline is so attractive :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Stranger also known as Secret Forest

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 01:06
Guest wrote:
Stranger also known as Secret Forest
Stranger is a good one. And it has Bae Doona, who's great.
But I didn't care much for the second season (Stranger 2).

I, too, recommend Signal (mentioned earlier by another op) with Kim Hye-soo. She's in another that I also liked, Juvenile Justice.

Move to Heaven also has no romance stuff in it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Dunno if these are considered good…

Awaken with Lee Chung Ah has very little romance, in fact there is more interest than real romance.

Sell your haunted house with Jang Nara has no romance.

Tomorrow Kim Heesun has a romantic backstory that they're slowly revealing, but that's it. It’s not that annoying in your face K-Drama romance.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

This thread got me obsessed with Korean actresses in their 40's and 50's, so it's all your fault I'm gonna post this :lol: To the Kim Hee-ae and Kim Hye-soo anons, this one is for you guys. :hug:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 16:09
This thread got me obsessed with Korean actresses in their 40's and 50's, so it's all your fault I'm gonna post this :lol: To the Kim Hee-ae and Kim Hye-soo anons, this one is for you guys. :hug:
I was already stanning actresses in their 40's and 50's (hello, Kim Seo-hyung!) but I wasn't expecting Kim Hee-ae and Moon So-ri to alter my brain chemistry the way they did in Queenmaker.

Yes Kdrama like to queerbait to hell and back, but there's something to be said about how they write women's stories, whether it's vengeance (The Glory), adultery (The World of the Married), or sisterhood (Mine). The thing is, most head writers are women (unlike in the west), so they know how to write compelling female stories and don't shy away from showing the ugly rage that is often subdued in western shows (although it's slowly changing). That's also why every male character is so compelling for straight female audiences, they're created to fit the ideal, a man in tune with their emotions, kind etc etc. The complete opposite of Korean men :rofl:

But anyway, yes to more dramas featuring veterans actresses, yes to more serious themes being tackled. I'm so here for it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

not to be a debbie downer but many of these famous kdrama women writers are unable to let go of their heteronormative brains and can never writer a woman's story that doesn't include a man. like there was no reason to insert a romance into the glory. even knetz who watched said it was so unnecessary but these WOMEN writers can't help themselves.

i'm not even asking for gay romance since that seems like a lost cause but can they for once not insert unnecessary het romances into their stories about women? it is an impossible task for almost all of them.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 17:34
not to be a debbie downer but many of these famous kdrama women writers are unable to let go of their heteronormative brains and can never writer a woman's story that doesn't include a man. like there was no reason to insert a romance into the glory. even knetz who watched said it was so unnecessary but these WOMEN writers can't help themselves.

i'm not even asking for gay romance since that seems like a lost cause but can they for once not insert unnecessary het romances into their stories about women? it is an impossible task for almost all of them.
There is no significant hetero-romance in Queenmaker! :gaypimp:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I was already stanning actresses in their 40's and 50's (hello, Kim Seo-hyung!) but I wasn't expecting Kim Hee-ae and Moon So-ri to alter my brain chemistry the way they did in Queenmaker.
Did we lose the Mine/KSH threads? Anyways, bringing this one back Chaeyun aka dolphin girl is really all of us KSH fangirls :rofl: :heart:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 17:34

I absolutely agree with you, that's one of the downsides I see in kdramas, and it'll take a bit of time before those writers (or the EP, because sometimes, the decision to include a male love interest comes from the EP, or the channel itself to boost interest and sell ad slots at a higher price) let go of the traditional framework. Korea is still very conservative, and the women writing those stories are a certain age too, so we have to take this into account. Sadly we can't have everything, we'll always have to put up with stuff we'd rather not have. Maybe the up and coming generation of writers will pave the way.

I wasn't aware that knetz also thought the romance subplot in the Glory was unnecessary; this is good news. Channels really care about social medias reception to shows. They'll eventually understand that women stories can sell without having to add a male love interest. Kim Tae-ri's upcoming project (not the devil, the musicals one) won't have a male LI, since it takes place in an all-female musical theater (the Korean version of Takarazuka, if you've heard of them). The webtoon it's based on has LGBTQ themes and two actresses from the Glory have already been casted alongside KTR. So I guess it is something to look forward to next year.