Korean Entertainment - Part II

Post Reply
Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37701

Post by Guest »

There's no doubt in my mind that Newjeans will face one hell of a bullying scandal along the years. The way they treat the youngest kid is atrocious. How people pretend not to see it is beyond me.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37702

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 17:06
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:49
Sa completely. I mean we are talking about a country where you are required to fill half of your resume space with a photograph of yourself and people will very openly tell you over the phone that you're too black or too fat to get teaching work in x place. I am white and relatively good looking which I was explicitly told meant I could work wherever I want because every school wants pretty white women =_= It's legal to exclude foreigners from bars or cafes, anti discrimination laws are highly controversial, and all koreans truly care about (and this is a generalisation obviously) is skin care, eating + drinking alcohol, and buying luxury brands. I struggled to have a political conversation with literally anyone including gay women.

But its not just exclusive to koreans. My friend is from Taiwan and I asked her what she thought of the scandal and she straight up said she completely believes she didn't know, she hates white people for expecting asian people to know the same things, and she finds that expectation anti asian in its "racism". I really don't think it clicks for most western kpop fans that these people do. not. think. like. you and you can't force them to. Which is why asessing who is or isn't gay based on westerns stereotypes about what gay women look like or do is a farce much of the time too. 'A lesbian would never like a boy group', girl go to Seoul and you'll get a shock.

The thing I do find insincere too is the Americans who say like 'if you come to my country you should look up and respect its values' like when have you ever seen an American act respectfully abroad? :rofl: Not meaning to continue the American conversation but the lack of awareness...
The bolded bit is one of the sentiments that came up here. I'd be interested to know if it was asian foreigners who were pushing that narrative (though they would probably lie now that it's been pointed out.)

The constant left-field america trolling also seems to be intended as a distraction, either to take attention away from what happened, or on a personal level to make it look like if everyone sucks then no one can judge their precious meow meow.
Sa I don't really agree with your tone or implication.

You will find most East Asian people would feel like it's racist or...something-ist to be expected to have the same knowledge of things as Western people. And sometimes that's silly, and sometimes they have a point. It's more complicated than people would like it to be.

And I think your last sentence is part of why this discussion is overall boring for me. Everyone does suck in one way or another, the United States is very far from excluded from that and people are not wrong when they state that Westerners expect people from the East to adhere to Western culture, but not the other way around. You can't start a conversation about Easterners and their lack of values and then get surprised when people turn around and point out criticisms about your own country.


At the end of the day I agree with someone above, which is that most people who don't care about kpop don't care about this, because most people have decided the girl made a mistake. What puts a bad taste in my mouth is that people keep going back and forth trying to win points on the issue, to the point that it feels like no one actually cares about the issue. Korea is a highly internal, highly racist country, where ignorance is very, very common and very, very tolerated. They do not understand why black face is offensive, or the n word, or Nazi symbolizim. And they aren't going to change for you. Just as many Westerners don't understand a single thing about Eastern countries and supported a war based purely on racial hatred and suspicion. People are dumb.
[/quote]

Well why don't you tell me what my tone and implication is, then? Communicate clearly.

A couple important points: You are saying westerners instead of americans. Most americans that were annoyed here were annoyed because even though it was a european war, and countries in europe will arrest/jail you for wearing a swastika in public, ppl are acting like it's only america that would be wanting a public apology.

For this reason, I think it's a distraction tactic to keep bringing up america, because there are more americans on this site, and a higher chance the distraction will work.

'Everybody sucks so you can't criticize anyone' isn't a worthwhile mindset. Because this isn't a competition. It's a criticism of one woman who wore a swastika in a jewish restaurant. It doesn't matter how this or that the west is, or how america is, or whatever. A public apology is still the appropriate thing to do, even if there are a lot of annoying people in X location. That should be obvious.

As it's been said, if someone wore a rising sun in korea, especially in a really inappropriate place/time like the jewish place, they would also be expected to make a public apology, even if they weren't aware of the situation.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37703

Post by Guest »


she’s so gay

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37704

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 20:28
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 17:06
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:49
Sa completely. I mean we are talking about a country where you are required to fill half of your resume space with a photograph of yourself and people will very openly tell you over the phone that you're too black or too fat to get teaching work in x place. I am white and relatively good looking which I was explicitly told meant I could work wherever I want because every school wants pretty white women =_= It's legal to exclude foreigners from bars or cafes, anti discrimination laws are highly controversial, and all koreans truly care about (and this is a generalisation obviously) is skin care, eating + drinking alcohol, and buying luxury brands. I struggled to have a political conversation with literally anyone including gay women.

But its not just exclusive to koreans. My friend is from Taiwan and I asked her what she thought of the scandal and she straight up said she completely believes she didn't know, she hates white people for expecting asian people to know the same things, and she finds that expectation anti asian in its "racism". I really don't think it clicks for most western kpop fans that these people do. not. think. like. you and you can't force them to. Which is why asessing who is or isn't gay based on westerns stereotypes about what gay women look like or do is a farce much of the time too. 'A lesbian would never like a boy group', girl go to Seoul and you'll get a shock.

The thing I do find insincere too is the Americans who say like 'if you come to my country you should look up and respect its values' like when have you ever seen an American act respectfully abroad? :rofl: Not meaning to continue the American conversation but the lack of awareness...
The bolded bit is one of the sentiments that came up here. I'd be interested to know if it was asian foreigners who were pushing that narrative (though they would probably lie now that it's been pointed out.)

The constant left-field america trolling also seems to be intended as a distraction, either to take attention away from what happened, or on a personal level to make it look like if everyone sucks then no one can judge their precious meow meow.
Sa I don't really agree with your tone or implication.

You will find most East Asian people would feel like it's racist or...something-ist to be expected to have the same knowledge of things as Western people. And sometimes that's silly, and sometimes they have a point. It's more complicated than people would like it to be.

And I think your last sentence is part of why this discussion is overall boring for me. Everyone does suck in one way or another, the United States is very far from excluded from that and people are not wrong when they state that Westerners expect people from the East to adhere to Western culture, but not the other way around. You can't start a conversation about Easterners and their lack of values and then get surprised when people turn around and point out criticisms about your own country.


At the end of the day I agree with someone above, which is that most people who don't care about kpop don't care about this, because most people have decided the girl made a mistake. What puts a bad taste in my mouth is that people keep going back and forth trying to win points on the issue, to the point that it feels like no one actually cares about the issue. Korea is a highly internal, highly racist country, where ignorance is very, very common and very, very tolerated. They do not understand why black face is offensive, or the n word, or Nazi symbolizim. And they aren't going to change for you. Just as many Westerners don't understand a single thing about Eastern countries and supported a war based purely on racial hatred and suspicion. People are dumb.
Well why don't you tell me what my tone and implication is, then? Communicate clearly.

A couple important points: You are saying westerners instead of americans. Most americans that were annoyed here were annoyed because even though it was a european war, and countries in europe will arrest/jail you for wearing a swastika in public, ppl are acting like it's only america that would be wanting a public apology.

For this reason, I think it's a distraction tactic to keep bringing up america, because there are more americans on this site, and a higher chance the distraction will work.

'Everybody sucks so you can't criticize anyone' isn't a worthwhile mindset. Because this isn't a competition. It's a criticism of one woman who wore a swastika in a jewish restaurant. It doesn't matter how this or that the west is, or how america is, or whatever. A public apology is still the appropriate thing to do, even if there are a lot of annoying people in X location. That should be obvious.

As it's been said, if someone wore a rising sun in korea, especially in a really inappropriate place/time like the jewish place, they would also be expected to make a public apology, even if they weren't aware of the situation.
[/quote]

She did make a public apology though. What's your point? Are you going to start nitpicking because the apology wasn't exactly how a Western trained PR person would have written it?

Clearly CY and her company understood that they made a mistake, and apologized. What more do you want?

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37705

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 19:35
There's no doubt in my mind that Newjeans will face one hell of a bullying scandal along the years. The way they treat the youngest kid is atrocious. How people pretend not to see it is beyond me.
can you explain? i don’t follow them so i dont know what you could be referencing to but im nosy as hell lol. if you do put it in spoilers though

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37706

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 21:04
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 20:28
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 17:06
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:49
Sa completely. I mean we are talking about a country where you are required to fill half of your resume space with a photograph of yourself and people will very openly tell you over the phone that you're too black or too fat to get teaching work in x place. I am white and relatively good looking which I was explicitly told meant I could work wherever I want because every school wants pretty white women =_= It's legal to exclude foreigners from bars or cafes, anti discrimination laws are highly controversial, and all koreans truly care about (and this is a generalisation obviously) is skin care, eating + drinking alcohol, and buying luxury brands. I struggled to have a political conversation with literally anyone including gay women.

But its not just exclusive to koreans. My friend is from Taiwan and I asked her what she thought of the scandal and she straight up said she completely believes she didn't know, she hates white people for expecting asian people to know the same things, and she finds that expectation anti asian in its "racism". I really don't think it clicks for most western kpop fans that these people do. not. think. like. you and you can't force them to. Which is why asessing who is or isn't gay based on westerns stereotypes about what gay women look like or do is a farce much of the time too. 'A lesbian would never like a boy group', girl go to Seoul and you'll get a shock.

The thing I do find insincere too is the Americans who say like 'if you come to my country you should look up and respect its values' like when have you ever seen an American act respectfully abroad? :rofl: Not meaning to continue the American conversation but the lack of awareness...
The bolded bit is one of the sentiments that came up here. I'd be interested to know if it was asian foreigners who were pushing that narrative (though they would probably lie now that it's been pointed out.)

The constant left-field america trolling also seems to be intended as a distraction, either to take attention away from what happened, or on a personal level to make it look like if everyone sucks then no one can judge their precious meow meow.
Sa I don't really agree with your tone or implication.

You will find most East Asian people would feel like it's racist or...something-ist to be expected to have the same knowledge of things as Western people. And sometimes that's silly, and sometimes they have a point. It's more complicated than people would like it to be.

And I think your last sentence is part of why this discussion is overall boring for me. Everyone does suck in one way or another, the United States is very far from excluded from that and people are not wrong when they state that Westerners expect people from the East to adhere to Western culture, but not the other way around. You can't start a conversation about Easterners and their lack of values and then get surprised when people turn around and point out criticisms about your own country.


At the end of the day I agree with someone above, which is that most people who don't care about kpop don't care about this, because most people have decided the girl made a mistake. What puts a bad taste in my mouth is that people keep going back and forth trying to win points on the issue, to the point that it feels like no one actually cares about the issue. Korea is a highly internal, highly racist country, where ignorance is very, very common and very, very tolerated. They do not understand why black face is offensive, or the n word, or Nazi symbolizim. And they aren't going to change for you. Just as many Westerners don't understand a single thing about Eastern countries and supported a war based purely on racial hatred and suspicion. People are dumb.
Well why don't you tell me what my tone and implication is, then? Communicate clearly.

A couple important points: You are saying westerners instead of americans. Most americans that were annoyed here were annoyed because even though it was a european war, and countries in europe will arrest/jail you for wearing a swastika in public, ppl are acting like it's only america that would be wanting a public apology.

For this reason, I think it's a distraction tactic to keep bringing up america, because there are more americans on this site, and a higher chance the distraction will work.

'Everybody sucks so you can't criticize anyone' isn't a worthwhile mindset. Because this isn't a competition. It's a criticism of one woman who wore a swastika in a jewish restaurant. It doesn't matter how this or that the west is, or how america is, or whatever. A public apology is still the appropriate thing to do, even if there are a lot of annoying people in X location. That should be obvious.

As it's been said, if someone wore a rising sun in korea, especially in a really inappropriate place/time like the jewish place, they would also be expected to make a public apology, even if they weren't aware of the situation.
She did make a public apology though. What's your point? Are you going to start nitpicking because the apology wasn't exactly how a Western trained PR person would have written it?

Clearly CY and her company understood that they made a mistake, and apologized. What more do you want?
[/quote]

Well I don't care if she does more or not, but days ago others pointed out her apology was less than other members from the same group have put out, so why you're framing it as 'west vs east' style apologies is beyond me.

Nobody is demanding anything, and haven't been for days. But somehow everybody is still mad & blaming american culture for forcing a woman to make an apology, and its those people who are dragging this out. What do THEY want is the real question.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37707

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:39
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:36
TWICE became more popular in US after scandal.
50% of US population is lowkey racist and anti-Semitic so even if a few of them support Twice that would be cool.
There is a huge untapped market of racists out there. Those folks love FOX, Trump, Taylor Swift, Morgan Wallen, Yellowstone and country music. Now they admire Chaeyoung.
Kpop companies will look into this for future.
You are sincerely very stupid.
Da That anon(probably the male troll tbh) has a point. While you may not notice it, there is a huge subsection of these right wing kpop fans out there. If you go to any kpop space dominated by men these will be the majority type there. Reminds me of the culture shock loona stans got when there were a bunch of those guys there at their concert when they thought they only had female and gay fans. When incidents like this happen, especially with groups already popular with them, it eggs them on even more and attracts more of those guys to kpop by connecting kpop to their beliefs as they brag about these idols being their girl. All of these "my poor meow meow just made a mistake :dramaqueen:" incidents are fuel for them. The worst part is that they aren't even being completely delusional because kpop does pander to those freaks and that's why they're still a large demographic of kpop fans :mask:

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37708

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 23:01
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 19:35
There's no doubt in my mind that Newjeans will face one hell of a bullying scandal along the years. The way they treat the youngest kid is atrocious. How people pretend not to see it is beyond me.
can you explain? i don’t follow them so i dont know what you could be referencing to but im nosy as hell lol. if you do put it in spoilers though

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37709

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:07
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:39
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:36
TWICE became more popular in US after scandal.
50% of US population is lowkey racist and anti-Semitic so even if a few of them support Twice that would be cool.
There is a huge untapped market of racists out there. Those folks love FOX, Trump, Taylor Swift, Morgan Wallen, Yellowstone and country music. Now they admire Chaeyoung.
Kpop companies will look into this for future.
You are sincerely very stupid.
Da That anon(probably the male troll tbh) has a point. While you may not notice it, there is a huge subsection of these right wing kpop fans out there. If you go to any kpop space dominated by men these will be the majority type there. Reminds me of the culture shock loona stans got when there were a bunch of those guys there at their concert when they thought they only had female and gay fans. When incidents like this happen, especially with groups already popular with them, it eggs them on even more and attracts more of those guys to kpop by connecting kpop to their beliefs as they brag about these idols being their girl. All of these "my poor meow meow just made a mistake :dramaqueen:" incidents are fuel for them. The worst part is that they aren't even being completely delusional because kpop does pander to those freaks and that's why they're still a large demographic of kpop fans :mask:
Da How is that the point the anon made? They said “they gained fans after” and there’s absolutely no indication of that, when the group hasn’t done anything after other than sell shows that people had to apply to buy tickets for before the incident even happened.

Kpop artists don’t want you to know their political stances. They like being a blank slate. People who sincerely think they used the “left wing” member to dog whistle Neo Nazis are just delusional at this point. It’s clear some people are really angry that all evidence points to her making a very stupid mistake, and that people are moving on from the topic. And so they are trying to pretend it was a secret intentional plot by the company to get some extra Nazi stans because, at the end of the day, some people don’t actually care about what happened :fool: , they just don’t like that one group being successful rn. It’s disturbing seeing the amount of in bad faith takes trying to make her behaviour way more extreme purely out of a stan mindset and not out of any concern for people impacted by the Holocaust. Someone here pointed out LSA and I checked and they literally think the company decided to put her in both shirts intentionally in order to grow in the USA market, because apparently wearing a swastika in public for days is, in their minds, a really solid marketing tactic and not, you know, a potential full on PR disaster :fool:

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37710

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:28
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:07
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:39
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:36
TWICE became more popular in US after scandal.
50% of US population is lowkey racist and anti-Semitic so even if a few of them support Twice that would be cool.
There is a huge untapped market of racists out there. Those folks love FOX, Trump, Taylor Swift, Morgan Wallen, Yellowstone and country music. Now they admire Chaeyoung.
Kpop companies will look into this for future.
You are sincerely very stupid.
Da That anon(probably the male troll tbh) has a point. While you may not notice it, there is a huge subsection of these right wing kpop fans out there. If you go to any kpop space dominated by men these will be the majority type there. Reminds me of the culture shock loona stans got when there were a bunch of those guys there at their concert when they thought they only had female and gay fans. When incidents like this happen, especially with groups already popular with them, it eggs them on even more and attracts more of those guys to kpop by connecting kpop to their beliefs as they brag about these idols being their girl. All of these "my poor meow meow just made a mistake :dramaqueen:" incidents are fuel for them. The worst part is that they aren't even being completely delusional because kpop does pander to those freaks and that's why they're still a large demographic of kpop fans :mask:
Da How is that the point the anon made? They said “they gained fans after” and there’s absolutely no indication of that, when the group hasn’t done anything after other than sell shows that people had to apply to buy tickets for before the incident even happened.

Kpop artists don’t want you to know their political stances. They like being a blank slate. People who sincerely think they used the “left wing” member to dog whistle Neo Nazis are just delusional at this point. It’s clear some people are really angry that all evidence points to her making a very stupid mistake, and that people are moving on from the topic. And so they are trying to pretend it was a secret intentional plot by the company to get some extra Nazi stans because, at the end of the day, some people don’t actually care about what happened :fool: , they just don’t like that one group being successful rn. It’s disturbing seeing the amount of in bad faith takes trying to make her behaviour way more extreme purely out of a stan mindset and not out of any concern for people impacted by the Holocaust. Someone here pointed out LSA and I checked and they literally think the company decided to put her in both shirts intentionally in order to grow in the USA market, because apparently wearing a swastika in public for days is, in their minds, a really solid marketing tactic and not, you know, a potential full on PR disaster :fool:
If you think they haven't gained fans or a bunch of right wingers calling her based then you're not looking in the right places.

How does your rant about it not being intentional have to do with the point made? I know it's not intentional and that doesn't matter to the right wingers because they'll use incidents like these to associate them to their ideology anyway.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37711

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:23
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 23:01
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 19:35
There's no doubt in my mind that Newjeans will face one hell of a bullying scandal along the years. The way they treat the youngest kid is atrocious. How people pretend not to see it is beyond me.
can you explain? i don’t follow them so i dont know what you could be referencing to but im nosy as hell lol. if you do put it in spoilers though
Da can you please link the video with timestamp, i wanna see what you're talking about

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37712

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:54
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:23
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 23:01
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 19:35
There's no doubt in my mind that Newjeans will face one hell of a bullying scandal along the years. The way they treat the youngest kid is atrocious. How people pretend not to see it is beyond me.
can you explain? i don’t follow them so i dont know what you could be referencing to but im nosy as hell lol. if you do put it in spoilers though
Da can you please link the video with timestamp, i wanna see what you're talking about

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37713

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:39
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:28
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:07
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:39
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:36
TWICE became more popular in US after scandal.
50% of US population is lowkey racist and anti-Semitic so even if a few of them support Twice that would be cool.
There is a huge untapped market of racists out there. Those folks love FOX, Trump, Taylor Swift, Morgan Wallen, Yellowstone and country music. Now they admire Chaeyoung.
Kpop companies will look into this for future.
You are sincerely very stupid.
Da That anon(probably the male troll tbh) has a point. While you may not notice it, there is a huge subsection of these right wing kpop fans out there. If you go to any kpop space dominated by men these will be the majority type there. Reminds me of the culture shock loona stans got when there were a bunch of those guys there at their concert when they thought they only had female and gay fans. When incidents like this happen, especially with groups already popular with them, it eggs them on even more and attracts more of those guys to kpop by connecting kpop to their beliefs as they brag about these idols being their girl. All of these "my poor meow meow just made a mistake :dramaqueen:" incidents are fuel for them. The worst part is that they aren't even being completely delusional because kpop does pander to those freaks and that's why they're still a large demographic of kpop fans :mask:
Da How is that the point the anon made? They said “they gained fans after” and there’s absolutely no indication of that, when the group hasn’t done anything after other than sell shows that people had to apply to buy tickets for before the incident even happened.

Kpop artists don’t want you to know their political stances. They like being a blank slate. People who sincerely think they used the “left wing” member to dog whistle Neo Nazis are just delusional at this point. It’s clear some people are really angry that all evidence points to her making a very stupid mistake, and that people are moving on from the topic. And so they are trying to pretend it was a secret intentional plot by the company to get some extra Nazi stans because, at the end of the day, some people don’t actually care about what happened :fool: , they just don’t like that one group being successful rn. It’s disturbing seeing the amount of in bad faith takes trying to make her behaviour way more extreme purely out of a stan mindset and not out of any concern for people impacted by the Holocaust. Someone here pointed out LSA and I checked and they literally think the company decided to put her in both shirts intentionally in order to grow in the USA market, because apparently wearing a swastika in public for days is, in their minds, a really solid marketing tactic and not, you know, a potential full on PR disaster :fool:
If you think they haven't gained fans or a bunch of right wingers calling her based then you're not looking in the right places.

How does your rant about it not being intentional have to do with the point made? I know it's not intentional and that doesn't matter to the right wingers because they'll use incidents like these to associate them to their ideology anyway.
Da
Right wingers do that with everyone and everything. They’ll forget about it and her in two weeks because ultimately she’s a woman of colour and someone who hangs out with trans people like Kim Petras, so she’s not an ideal candidate for their brain worm.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37714

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:02
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:54
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:23
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 23:01
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 19:35
There's no doubt in my mind that Newjeans will face one hell of a bullying scandal along the years. The way they treat the youngest kid is atrocious. How people pretend not to see it is beyond me.
can you explain? i don’t follow them so i dont know what you could be referencing to but im nosy as hell lol. if you do put it in spoilers though
Da can you please link the video with timestamp, i wanna see what you're talking about
If it's repeated and obviously shows she's hurt by it then it's bad but here she's just sorta teasing that one girl and the girl replying to the teasing like "noo stop lol" there's no bullying here

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37715

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:32
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:02
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:54
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:23
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 23:01


can you explain? i don’t follow them so i dont know what you could be referencing to but im nosy as hell lol. if you do put it in spoilers though
Da can you please link the video with timestamp, i wanna see what you're talking about
If it's repeated and obviously shows she's hurt by it then it's bad but here she's just sorta teasing that one girl and the girl replying to the teasing like "noo stop lol" there's no bullying here
That girl's expression was not cute, and that's what I meant. People who don't follow them might not think much of it, but it's an ongoing thing. You often see people commenting about how the younger one is left aside and ignored. Maybe that's the consequence of putting someone that young in a group this early on.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37716

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:02
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:39
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:28
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:07
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:39


You are sincerely very stupid.
Da That anon(probably the male troll tbh) has a point. While you may not notice it, there is a huge subsection of these right wing kpop fans out there. If you go to any kpop space dominated by men these will be the majority type there. Reminds me of the culture shock loona stans got when there were a bunch of those guys there at their concert when they thought they only had female and gay fans. When incidents like this happen, especially with groups already popular with them, it eggs them on even more and attracts more of those guys to kpop by connecting kpop to their beliefs as they brag about these idols being their girl. All of these "my poor meow meow just made a mistake :dramaqueen:" incidents are fuel for them. The worst part is that they aren't even being completely delusional because kpop does pander to those freaks and that's why they're still a large demographic of kpop fans :mask:
Da How is that the point the anon made? They said “they gained fans after” and there’s absolutely no indication of that, when the group hasn’t done anything after other than sell shows that people had to apply to buy tickets for before the incident even happened.

Kpop artists don’t want you to know their political stances. They like being a blank slate. People who sincerely think they used the “left wing” member to dog whistle Neo Nazis are just delusional at this point. It’s clear some people are really angry that all evidence points to her making a very stupid mistake, and that people are moving on from the topic. And so they are trying to pretend it was a secret intentional plot by the company to get some extra Nazi stans because, at the end of the day, some people don’t actually care about what happened :fool: , they just don’t like that one group being successful rn. It’s disturbing seeing the amount of in bad faith takes trying to make her behaviour way more extreme purely out of a stan mindset and not out of any concern for people impacted by the Holocaust. Someone here pointed out LSA and I checked and they literally think the company decided to put her in both shirts intentionally in order to grow in the USA market, because apparently wearing a swastika in public for days is, in their minds, a really solid marketing tactic and not, you know, a potential full on PR disaster :fool:
If you think they haven't gained fans or a bunch of right wingers calling her based then you're not looking in the right places.

How does your rant about it not being intentional have to do with the point made? I know it's not intentional and that doesn't matter to the right wingers because they'll use incidents like these to associate them to their ideology anyway.
Da
Right wingers do that with everyone and everything. They’ll forget about it and her in two weeks because ultimately she’s a woman of colour and someone who hangs out with trans people like Kim Petras, so she’s not an ideal candidate for their brain worm.
Sure the normie right wingers who hate kpop will forget about it in two weeks but if you think these terminally online right winger types already into kpop wouldn't adopt her as a candidate because she's a woman of color then you aren't very familiar with them or their spaces. Much like the right wing weebs obsessed with Japan, they see idols as their submissive waifus not tainted by western values and plenty of these right wingers are Asian themselves. For right wing kpop fans, they'll hold onto any idol and incident that has hinted to their cause intentionally or not and since they already love Twice it's just another bonus to them.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37717

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:55
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:02
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:39
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:28
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:07

Da That anon(probably the male troll tbh) has a point. While you may not notice it, there is a huge subsection of these right wing kpop fans out there. If you go to any kpop space dominated by men these will be the majority type there. Reminds me of the culture shock loona stans got when there were a bunch of those guys there at their concert when they thought they only had female and gay fans. When incidents like this happen, especially with groups already popular with them, it eggs them on even more and attracts more of those guys to kpop by connecting kpop to their beliefs as they brag about these idols being their girl. All of these "my poor meow meow just made a mistake :dramaqueen:" incidents are fuel for them. The worst part is that they aren't even being completely delusional because kpop does pander to those freaks and that's why they're still a large demographic of kpop fans :mask:
Da How is that the point the anon made? They said “they gained fans after” and there’s absolutely no indication of that, when the group hasn’t done anything after other than sell shows that people had to apply to buy tickets for before the incident even happened.

Kpop artists don’t want you to know their political stances. They like being a blank slate. People who sincerely think they used the “left wing” member to dog whistle Neo Nazis are just delusional at this point. It’s clear some people are really angry that all evidence points to her making a very stupid mistake, and that people are moving on from the topic. And so they are trying to pretend it was a secret intentional plot by the company to get some extra Nazi stans because, at the end of the day, some people don’t actually care about what happened :fool: , they just don’t like that one group being successful rn. It’s disturbing seeing the amount of in bad faith takes trying to make her behaviour way more extreme purely out of a stan mindset and not out of any concern for people impacted by the Holocaust. Someone here pointed out LSA and I checked and they literally think the company decided to put her in both shirts intentionally in order to grow in the USA market, because apparently wearing a swastika in public for days is, in their minds, a really solid marketing tactic and not, you know, a potential full on PR disaster :fool:
If you think they haven't gained fans or a bunch of right wingers calling her based then you're not looking in the right places.

How does your rant about it not being intentional have to do with the point made? I know it's not intentional and that doesn't matter to the right wingers because they'll use incidents like these to associate them to their ideology anyway.
Da
Right wingers do that with everyone and everything. They’ll forget about it and her in two weeks because ultimately she’s a woman of colour and someone who hangs out with trans people like Kim Petras, so she’s not an ideal candidate for their brain worm.
Sure the normie right wingers who hate kpop will forget about it in two weeks but if you think these terminally online right winger types already into kpop wouldn't adopt her as a candidate because she's a woman of color then you aren't very familiar with them or their spaces. Much like the right wing weebs obsessed with Japan, they see idols as their submissive waifus not tainted by western values and plenty of these right wingers are Asian themselves. For right wing kpop fans, they'll hold onto any idol and incident that has hinted to their cause intentionally or not and since they already love Twice it's just another bonus to them.
Oooooh I'm sure those right-wingers will love Chaeyoung. Something about her just screams fascism:



And I'm sure they'll love how she took down her IG post and apologized right away. Such a right wing icon

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37718

Post by Guest »

Oooooh I'm sure those right-wingers will love Chaeyoung. Something about her just screams fascism:
And I'm sure they'll love how she took down her IG post and apologized right away. Such a right wing icon
Right wingers are mostly men and they have fetish for lesbians because they think this girl is pure and not defiled by any other man. And she can be turned straight by someone like them. So chaeyoung even coming out as gay would make them much more happy. The only way they will hate CY is if she openly dates a black man. :nails:
Over 70% of right wingers worship Taylor Swift simply because she never ever dates blacks but only whites and that makes them happy. They even love the gay rumors of her with another white girl Karlie Kloss because that is their fetish.
Right wingers love lesbians, Asians and white girls and hate blacks and gay men.
In the end this whole thing was a net positive for Twice because now those far right people will look out for Twice and watch their videos and stuff.
I fully expect that after this other kpop groups will make similar mistakes. Just to expand fanbases.

Taylor did it first and to this day those on far right buy her stuff. And openly love and support her.
Image

https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/tomi- ... lor-swift/

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37719

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 05:24
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:55
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:02
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:39
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:28


Da How is that the point the anon made? They said “they gained fans after” and there’s absolutely no indication of that, when the group hasn’t done anything after other than sell shows that people had to apply to buy tickets for before the incident even happened.

Kpop artists don’t want you to know their political stances. They like being a blank slate. People who sincerely think they used the “left wing” member to dog whistle Neo Nazis are just delusional at this point. It’s clear some people are really angry that all evidence points to her making a very stupid mistake, and that people are moving on from the topic. And so they are trying to pretend it was a secret intentional plot by the company to get some extra Nazi stans because, at the end of the day, some people don’t actually care about what happened :fool: , they just don’t like that one group being successful rn. It’s disturbing seeing the amount of in bad faith takes trying to make her behaviour way more extreme purely out of a stan mindset and not out of any concern for people impacted by the Holocaust. Someone here pointed out LSA and I checked and they literally think the company decided to put her in both shirts intentionally in order to grow in the USA market, because apparently wearing a swastika in public for days is, in their minds, a really solid marketing tactic and not, you know, a potential full on PR disaster :fool:
If you think they haven't gained fans or a bunch of right wingers calling her based then you're not looking in the right places.

How does your rant about it not being intentional have to do with the point made? I know it's not intentional and that doesn't matter to the right wingers because they'll use incidents like these to associate them to their ideology anyway.
Da
Right wingers do that with everyone and everything. They’ll forget about it and her in two weeks because ultimately she’s a woman of colour and someone who hangs out with trans people like Kim Petras, so she’s not an ideal candidate for their brain worm.
Sure the normie right wingers who hate kpop will forget about it in two weeks but if you think these terminally online right winger types already into kpop wouldn't adopt her as a candidate because she's a woman of color then you aren't very familiar with them or their spaces. Much like the right wing weebs obsessed with Japan, they see idols as their submissive waifus not tainted by western values and plenty of these right wingers are Asian themselves. For right wing kpop fans, they'll hold onto any idol and incident that has hinted to their cause intentionally or not and since they already love Twice it's just another bonus to them.
Oooooh I'm sure those right-wingers will love Chaeyoung. Something about her just screams fascism:
And I'm sure they'll love how she took down her IG post and apologized right away. Such a right wing icon
I don't know why you're getting so defensive? You should know as a once they already have a sizeable amount of male fans like this. The truth hurts but do you really think if you showed that carol review to them they'd immediately drop her? She doesn't have to be a fascist for them to flock to her, they'll warp things to their reality.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37720

Post by Guest »

XG stuff

[spoilers]

This group seems gay-ish other than Jurin and Harvey. Even the non-sus ones turned out to be masc-ish. One of them even calls herself a male name.


Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37721

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 11:17
XG stuff
Sorry about that! i typed [spoilers] instead of

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37722

Post by Guest »

XG Stuff

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37723

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:41
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:32
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:02
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:54
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:23

Da can you please link the video with timestamp, i wanna see what you're talking about
If it's repeated and obviously shows she's hurt by it then it's bad but here she's just sorta teasing that one girl and the girl replying to the teasing like "noo stop lol" there's no bullying here
That girl's expression was not cute, and that's what I meant. People who don't follow them might not think much of it, but it's an ongoing thing. You often see people commenting about how the younger one is left aside and ignored. Maybe that's the consequence of putting someone that young in a group this early on.
Why are you following a group of kids?

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37724

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 11:17
XG stuff

This group seems gay-ish other than Jurin and Harvey. Even the non-sus ones turned out to be masc-ish. One of them even calls herself a male name.
Here yall go again equating being "masc-ish" (designating a heteronormative family dynamic) with seeming "gay-ish"

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37725

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 13:41
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 11:17
XG stuff

This group seems gay-ish other than Jurin and Harvey. Even the non-sus ones turned out to be masc-ish. One of them even calls herself a male name.
Here yall go again equating being "masc-ish" (designating a heteronormative family dynamic) with seeming "gay-ish"
Here you go again looking for arguments. So tiring to be here. It’s like some people just come here specifically to argue. Is calling oneself a male name not masc-ish? Anyway just scroll if you don’t like it. No need to make a big fuss over mundane stuff

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37726

Post by Guest »

Masculinity and Feminity are real in humans btw so it's ok to call something masc or feminine

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37727

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 13:27
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:41
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:32
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:02
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:54


Da can you please link the video with timestamp, i wanna see what you're talking about
If it's repeated and obviously shows she's hurt by it then it's bad but here she's just sorta teasing that one girl and the girl replying to the teasing like "noo stop lol" there's no bullying here
That girl's expression was not cute, and that's what I meant. People who don't follow them might not think much of it, but it's an ongoing thing. You often see people commenting about how the younger one is left aside and ignored. Maybe that's the consequence of putting someone that young in a group this early on.
Why are you following a group of kids?
da Do you seriously think everyone here is 40? I don't follow them, but for example i'm literally Minji's age.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37728

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 13:41
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 11:17
XG stuff

This group seems gay-ish other than Jurin and Harvey. Even the non-sus ones turned out to be masc-ish. One of them even calls herself a male name.
Here yall go again equating being "masc-ish" (designating a heteronormative family dynamic) with seeming "gay-ish"
da
Women being masculine isn't heteronormative, nor does it have anything to do with a family dynamic are you on crack

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37729

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 03:02
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:39
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:28
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 02:07
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:39


You are sincerely very stupid.
Da That anon(probably the male troll tbh) has a point. While you may not notice it, there is a huge subsection of these right wing kpop fans out there. If you go to any kpop space dominated by men these will be the majority type there. Reminds me of the culture shock loona stans got when there were a bunch of those guys there at their concert when they thought they only had female and gay fans. When incidents like this happen, especially with groups already popular with them, it eggs them on even more and attracts more of those guys to kpop by connecting kpop to their beliefs as they brag about these idols being their girl. All of these "my poor meow meow just made a mistake :dramaqueen:" incidents are fuel for them. The worst part is that they aren't even being completely delusional because kpop does pander to those freaks and that's why they're still a large demographic of kpop fans :mask:
Da How is that the point the anon made? They said “they gained fans after” and there’s absolutely no indication of that, when the group hasn’t done anything after other than sell shows that people had to apply to buy tickets for before the incident even happened.

Kpop artists don’t want you to know their political stances. They like being a blank slate. People who sincerely think they used the “left wing” member to dog whistle Neo Nazis are just delusional at this point. It’s clear some people are really angry that all evidence points to her making a very stupid mistake, and that people are moving on from the topic. And so they are trying to pretend it was a secret intentional plot by the company to get some extra Nazi stans because, at the end of the day, some people don’t actually care about what happened :fool: , they just don’t like that one group being successful rn. It’s disturbing seeing the amount of in bad faith takes trying to make her behaviour way more extreme purely out of a stan mindset and not out of any concern for people impacted by the Holocaust. Someone here pointed out LSA and I checked and they literally think the company decided to put her in both shirts intentionally in order to grow in the USA market, because apparently wearing a swastika in public for days is, in their minds, a really solid marketing tactic and not, you know, a potential full on PR disaster :fool:
If you think they haven't gained fans or a bunch of right wingers calling her based then you're not looking in the right places.

How does your rant about it not being intentional have to do with the point made? I know it's not intentional and that doesn't matter to the right wingers because they'll use incidents like these to associate them to their ideology anyway.
Da
Right wingers do that with everyone and everything. They’ll forget about it and her in two weeks because ultimately she’s a woman of colour and someone who hangs out with trans people like Kim Petras, so she’s not an ideal candidate for their brain worm.
You mean the rape supporter. :fool:

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37730

Post by Guest »

No one In kpop right now is masc

The only real examples you could use is Amber or that Miya girl although she’s just a soft futch

Or maybe Moonbyul when she’s presenting like this

But even she is futch most of the time

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37731

Post by Guest »

I just watched the first 2 eps of the new reality show HeMiLeeYeChaePa (what a chore of a name to remember and type tho, whew) and it was pretty entertaining, I never realised how much I've missed all-female-idol casts (who are not in the same group) on varieties. Hyeri is a champ as expected, but I'm pleasantly charmed by miyeon. Girl is one of the types I tend to get attracted to in kpop idols, a bit of a nutcase, a little airheaded, but still very composed when she needs to. Too bad I couldn't detect even a single hint of gayness from her (on the surface, at least).

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37732

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 18:24
No one In kpop right now is masc

The only real examples you could use is Amber or that Miya girl although she’s just a soft futch

Or maybe Moonbyul when she’s presenting like this

But even she is futch most of the time
for kpop fans the scale for masc to futch to femme is a lot more narrow than usual. amber is an outlier, moonbyul is masc, any girl in sweatpants, t shirt and a backwards cap is futch and everyone else is femme.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37733

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 19:12
I just watched the first 2 eps of the new reality show HeMiLeeYeChaePa (what a chore of a name to remember and type tho, whew) and it was pretty entertaining, I never realised how much I've missed all-female-idol casts (who are not in the same group) on varieties. Hyeri is a champ as expected, but I'm pleasantly charmed by miyeon. Girl is one of the types I tend to get attracted to in kpop idols, a bit of a nutcase, a little airheaded, but still very composed when she needs to. Too bad I couldn't detect even a single hint of gayness from her (on the surface, at least).
We were discussing Hyeri a while back. She has her moments actually

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37734

Post by Guest »


Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37735

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 19:30
I never dare to label her as bi but, does heejin have receipts? I mean as someone who barely knows anything about loona, she's always the one who just is the most visible to me and that usually happens with girls that are actually highly sus.

I think her and ryujin were friends predebut... That adds to the sus weight to me.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37736

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 19:22
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 18:24
No one In kpop right now is masc

The only real examples you could use is Amber or that Miya girl although she’s just a soft futch

Or maybe Moonbyul when she’s presenting like this

But even she is futch most of the time
for kpop fans the scale for masc to futch to femme is a lot more narrow than usual. amber is an outlier, moonbyul is masc, any girl in sweatpants, t shirt and a backwards cap is futch and everyone else is femme.
da
this narrative needs to stop

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37737

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 19:12
I just watched the first 2 eps of the new reality show HeMiLeeYeChaePa (what a chore of a name to remember and type tho, whew) and it was pretty entertaining, I never realised how much I've missed all-female-idol casts (who are not in the same group) on varieties. Hyeri is a champ as expected, but I'm pleasantly charmed by miyeon. Girl is one of the types I tend to get attracted to in kpop idols, a bit of a nutcase, a little airheaded, but still very composed when she needs to. Too bad I couldn't detect even a single hint of gayness from her (on the surface, at least).
Miyeon has her moments actually

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37738

Post by Guest »

XG things

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37739

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 20:29
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 19:12
I just watched the first 2 eps of the new reality show HeMiLeeYeChaePa (what a chore of a name to remember and type tho, whew) and it was pretty entertaining, I never realised how much I've missed all-female-idol casts (who are not in the same group) on varieties. Hyeri is a champ as expected, but I'm pleasantly charmed by miyeon. Girl is one of the types I tend to get attracted to in kpop idols, a bit of a nutcase, a little airheaded, but still very composed when she needs to. Too bad I couldn't detect even a single hint of gayness from her (on the surface, at least).
Miyeon has her moments actually
Being friends with Sana is the only gay thing she'll ever be associated with, girl doesn't ping at all

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37740

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 21:37
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 20:29
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 19:12
I just watched the first 2 eps of the new reality show HeMiLeeYeChaePa (what a chore of a name to remember and type tho, whew) and it was pretty entertaining, I never realised how much I've missed all-female-idol casts (who are not in the same group) on varieties. Hyeri is a champ as expected, but I'm pleasantly charmed by miyeon. Girl is one of the types I tend to get attracted to in kpop idols, a bit of a nutcase, a little airheaded, but still very composed when she needs to. Too bad I couldn't detect even a single hint of gayness from her (on the surface, at least).
Miyeon has her moments actually
Being friends with Sana is the only gay thing she'll ever be associated with, girl doesn't ping at all
And her friendship/fanservice with Shuhua

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37741

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 22:14
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 21:37
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 20:29
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 19:12
I just watched the first 2 eps of the new reality show HeMiLeeYeChaePa (what a chore of a name to remember and type tho, whew) and it was pretty entertaining, I never realised how much I've missed all-female-idol casts (who are not in the same group) on varieties. Hyeri is a champ as expected, but I'm pleasantly charmed by miyeon. Girl is one of the types I tend to get attracted to in kpop idols, a bit of a nutcase, a little airheaded, but still very composed when she needs to. Too bad I couldn't detect even a single hint of gayness from her (on the surface, at least).
Miyeon has her moments actually
Being friends with Sana is the only gay thing she'll ever be associated with, girl doesn't ping at all
And her friendship/fanservice with Shuhua
Lol I remember when she said she watched Killing Eve. She also once recommended an old movie where An So hee played a lesbian. (There were a few kisses in the movie too)

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37742

Post by Guest »

watching lesbian media means nothing to me. like it's good that they're not turned off by it but it literally tells me nothing about their sexuality. and unpopular opinion here but i think stans cling onto this stuff too much to add as some kind of proof that an idol can be gay. the standards are on the floor imo.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37743

Post by Guest »

Can anyone tell me if obviously straight idols tend to recommend or consume wlw content? I've seen that some people here seem to use "she recommended such a movie with a lesbian character" as an argument for claiming that someone is sus.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37744

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 22:49
watching lesbian media means nothing to me. like it's good that they're not turned off by it but it literally tells me nothing about their sexuality. and unpopular opinion here but i think stans cling onto this stuff too much to add as some kind of proof that an idol can be gay. the standards are on the floor imo.
I disagree tbh.

There’s a reason why even western lesbians sincerely recommend asking a woman you’re interested in what she’s watched to figure out if she’s sapphic. It’s not fool proof, but many straight women have never and will never watch gay classics like Carol and Portrait of a Lady on Fire, let alone more obscure things.

I do think the Handmaiden is not a good barometer because it’s such a famous Korean film. But if an idol has watched numerous wlw things, some of which are more obscure, I find that interesting. Similarily, if an idol suggests that she had a personal connection with the text and didn’t just watch it because it exists, that’s interesting too. For example, Miyeon said that of all of the fictional worlds she’d like to be in, she’d choose The Handmaiden, which is a pretty bizarre thing to say if you’re 0/10 on the Kinsey scale because…what about the Handmaiden’s world is appealing other than the lesbianism?

But I don’t necessarily think idols having purely watched The Handmaiden or Carol is proof in and of itself. But I also think universally panning using texts as an indicator of interest is similarily dumb, because the reality is, straight women don’t tend to be interested in wlw texts. In fact, even bisexual women seem to prefer mlm, hence why wlw media struggles so severely with support.

If an idol has zero other reason to think she’s sapphic other than she watched the Handmaiden one time, that’s not interesting. But if she says she really related to the text, that peaks my interest.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37745

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 22:49
watching lesbian media means nothing to me. like it's good that they're not turned off by it but it literally tells me nothing about their sexuality. and unpopular opinion here but i think stans cling onto this stuff too much to add as some kind of proof that an idol can be gay. the standards are on the floor imo.
I totally agree. I can't explain why I think like this because of my limited english, but I think you're right.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37746

Post by Guest »

My thoughts are if they watch gay male media it means nothing (straight women fetishizers)
If they consume one popular lesbian media it means nothing
If they continuously watch lesbian media it starts to gets suspicious.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37747

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 23:01
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 22:49
watching lesbian media means nothing to me. like it's good that they're not turned off by it but it literally tells me nothing about their sexuality. and unpopular opinion here but i think stans cling onto this stuff too much to add as some kind of proof that an idol can be gay. the standards are on the floor imo.
I disagree tbh.

There’s a reason why even western lesbians sincerely recommend asking a woman you’re interested in what she’s watched to figure out if she’s sapphic. It’s not fool proof, but many straight women have never and will never watch gay classics like Carol and Portrait of a Lady on Fire, let alone more obscure things.

I do think the Handmaiden is not a good barometer because it’s such a famous Korean film. But if an idol has watched numerous wlw things, some of which are more obscure, I find that interesting. Similarily, if an idol suggests that she had a personal connection with the text and didn’t just watch it because it exists, that’s interesting too. For example, Miyeon said that of all of the fictional worlds she’d like to be in, she’d choose The Handmaiden, which is a pretty bizarre thing to say if you’re 0/10 on the Kinsey scale because…what about the Handmaiden’s world is appealing other than the lesbianism?

But I don’t necessarily think idols having purely watched The Handmaiden or Carol is proof in and of itself. But I also think universally panning using texts as an indicator of interest is similarily dumb, because the reality is, straight women don’t tend to be interested in wlw texts. In fact, even bisexual women seem to prefer mlm, hence why wlw media struggles so severely with support.

If an idol has zero other reason to think she’s sapphic other than she watched the Handmaiden one time, that’s not interesting. But if she says she really related to the text, that peaks my interest.
x2 my go to for figuring out a girl’s sexuality is “what’s your favourite tv show” and listening for answers like Killing eve, the l word, the 100, etc etc etc etc. None of my straight friends have watched carol, literally none, but SK people did seem to have a small moment witb it. But I agree, it’s not definitive but pretending it’s not interesting or ever telling is strange to me *shrug*

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37748

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 23:14
My thoughts are if they watch gay male media it means nothing (straight women fetishizers)
If they consume one popular lesbian media it means nothing
If they continuously watch lesbian media it starts to gets suspicious.
Same. Watching Handmaiden and Carol alone not much of an indicator for me since Handmaiden is such a major Korean hit and Carol has an aesthetic and fashion sense that appeals to a lot of Koreans. Going as far as reading the book Carol is based on is a bit weird though.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37749

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 23:01
Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 22:49
watching lesbian media means nothing to me. like it's good that they're not turned off by it but it literally tells me nothing about their sexuality. and unpopular opinion here but i think stans cling onto this stuff too much to add as some kind of proof that an idol can be gay. the standards are on the floor imo.
I disagree tbh.

There’s a reason why even western lesbians sincerely recommend asking a woman you’re interested in what she’s watched to figure out if she’s sapphic. It’s not fool proof, but many straight women have never and will never watch gay classics like Carol and Portrait of a Lady on Fire, let alone more obscure things.

I do think the Handmaiden is not a good barometer because it’s such a famous Korean film. But if an idol has watched numerous wlw things, some of which are more obscure, I find that interesting. Similarily, if an idol suggests that she had a personal connection with the text and didn’t just watch it because it exists, that’s interesting too. For example, Miyeon said that of all of the fictional worlds she’d like to be in, she’d choose The Handmaiden, which is a pretty bizarre thing to say if you’re 0/10 on the Kinsey scale because…what about the Handmaiden’s world is appealing other than the lesbianism?

But I don’t necessarily think idols having purely watched The Handmaiden or Carol is proof in and of itself. But I also think universally panning using texts as an indicator of interest is similarily dumb, because the reality is, straight women don’t tend to be interested in wlw texts. In fact, even bisexual women seem to prefer mlm, hence why wlw media struggles so severely with support.

If an idol has zero other reason to think she’s sapphic other than she watched the Handmaiden one time, that’s not interesting. But if she says she really related to the text, that peaks my interest.
I think Miyeon, at minimum, is very open-minded and also pretty astute. She plays up the airhead/ditzy thing, but if you pay attention enough you can see she's actually pretty thoughtful and aware of shit. I don't think she's naive about sapphic/lgbt things at all, considering she's been close with Soyeon for years and hangs out with Sana. She seems completely unbothered and secure when it comes to wlw friends and wlw media. She's never been directly vocal on support/allyship for the community, but I don't think (g)i-dle really needs to do prove that.

She comes across like she has this degree of comfort and self-assuredness with the realm of sapphics that makes me believe she's either incredibly based or possibly wlw herself.. but beyond that she doesn't ping much for me. Still mostly a question mark IMO.

Guest
Reactions:

Re: Korean Entertainment - Part II

#37750

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 23:14
My thoughts are if they watch gay male media it means nothing (straight women fetishizers)
If they consume one popular lesbian media it means nothing
If they continuously watch lesbian media it starts to gets suspicious.
Agreed. Much like with every potential indicator, you can't look at it in an isolated manner, it's when you sum a lot of potentially sus things that you start getting a clearer picture.

And as a sidenote, imo, there's a HUGE difference between saying you have watched the Handmaiden and saying you've rewatched the Handmaiden a couple of times. Unsurprisingly, the idols who've claimed to have seen it more than once or twice were already in the sus list so this simply adds to the belief that they're fam.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 54 guests